131 replies to this topic

#1 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Before I start, I have started another thread ''http://www.theminifo...gsxr-1000-mini/'', so to see pics of my mini (Maxwell) and the work that has being done to him click this link above.

As ye may see from the title of my previous thread I was planning on a GSXR 1000 engined mini, but as happens so often to people, I changed my mind. I decided that this has been done too many times, I wanted to do something different, something unique. So i started looking around and since no one has put a straight 6 engine in a mini before i said why not. So then i started looking for a 1jz engine, in case people don't know this engine is its a 280bhp 2.5 liter straight 6 twin turbo engine found in Toyota cars such as chasers and soarer's. As for the shell, there wont be much original metal left, i keeping basically the outer skin and cutting out all the floor and most/all of the firewall. It will have a full space frame chassis like the Zcars Monte Carlo race cars. I will upload a few pics of ideas I have seen on this forum and others which will help me get Maxwell finished.

After I have uploaded the pics there wont be any further updates for a week or so, as I have to yet collect my engine.

Thanks for reading.
Liam.

#2 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Nice thoughts you've got there Liam. Its nice to see someone doing something different.
So are you sourcing all the parts yourself or have you stumbled over the engine and thought, 'that'll fit'

#3 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Amm I was looking for a bike engine but to me they seemed a but much money for a small engine so I looked elsewhere.
eBay looking at other engines like m3 evo, skyline or Sylvia engine, they all seemed better value for the money.
I then went on a popular site for selling stuff in ireland and I stumbled across the 1jz with the manual box. Then google a few deminsions, out to the mini with a tape and said, ya twill fit alright!:D
And if it doesn't il make it!:P

#4 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Ok since I don't have my engine yet, these are pics of a 1jz which has the same gearbox and manifold set up that I am going to use!:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

it looks the same length as the mini! :D

A few pics which i might borrow a few ideas from that i have found on an epic build thread on this, Im sure someone will recognize the pics!:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Since the bell housing is going to be so large I am going to have to build something along these lines...

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's it for now will update again when I get my engine, sometime next week! :proud:

#5 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

O ya, forgot to ask!
Iv tried to change my profile picture, every time i try to upload one it says failed??? :mmkay:
anyone know how to do it?? :ermm:

#6 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hats off to you for going for it, although I take it you've measured how far back that gear linkage is going to be and so in turn out how far back your going to be sitting?
It is an interesting choice of engine and can't wait to see the first few pictures with the engine and box in position.
As for the picture, have you made sure it complies with the pixel height and width?

#7 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

Amm I will be roughly sitting half way back the quater lite window back of my seat will be half way through the back seat, if I had any that is!:L
Ammmm....I forgot about that!:P
Thanks for that!:)

#8 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Posted Image

Yes the engine is here!:D

It is a MONSTER!

I should be doing a good bit of work in the next month r so, planning to have it rolling in the next 2 months!:)

Hopefully I will stick to this!

Il keep ye posted!

Be back soon.

#9 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

Wow, impressive project will be watching this!

Also im liking the model a-series engine you have placed next to the straight 6 to make it look bigger. Oh wait! :P

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

do you have anything like the DVLA's 8 points system over there or can you build what you want with no tests afterwards ?

#11 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

We only have NCT, this is like MOT in England.
This won't apply to me because if a car is 30 years old it doesn't have to be tested.
So I can do what ever I want and it won't have to be tested.
Also the added bonus of €48 for tax for the year is nice because it's a classic car!:D
There are a few rules which apply to all cars, these are inforced by the Gardaí, rules like how low a car should be how loud and other stupid things like that! Even these aren't inforced unless you are really breaking them.
There is 1 rule which I might have a problem with, since I'm running a turbo il need an intercooler, and due to lack of space under the bonnet I'm forced to put it in front of the grille. The rule is somthing like there shouldn't be radius's greater than a certain number outside the car. The intercooler has square edges!:S I'm sure il get away with it tho!:P Where I live the Gards are ALLWAYS to busy giving out to stupid civics and other boy racer cars anyway!L

Edited by liamcrowley, 21 January 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#12 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Love the plans and the engine choice. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Viva and eventually K-Series it or just sell it for an E30 325 or a Mk 3 Supra 3.0i, have a real hankering for a big straight 6 at the moment!

When I was first reading I thought you might do something to put the engine in the back and have it slightly mid mounted, but may it's too large. It's a big, heavy engine and having it in the front over the front wheels might cause some unwanted handling effects, but if a lot of it's going to be coming back into the cabin that might even out the weight balance.

Will be watching this with interest.

#13 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Love the plans and the engine choice. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Viva and eventually K-Series it or just sell it for an E30 325 or a Mk 3 Supra 3.0i, have a real hankering for a big straight 6 at the moment!

When I was first reading I thought you might do something to put the engine in the back and have it slightly mid mounted, but may it's too large. It's a big, heavy engine and having it in the front over the front wheels might cause some unwanted handling effects, but if a lot of it's going to be coming back into the cabin that might even out the weight balance.

Will be watching this with interest.

I see you have bit of a hard decision on your hands!:)
You can't beat a straight 6, lovely sound!

Yes I was thinking about this aswell, I'm puting the engine as far back as I can, at the moment I think about half or less of the engine is gona be in front of the wheels! So I'm hoping this will be ok!

#14 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Another little bit of an update!

Started chopping Maxwell up today to get the engine in to take a few measurements!

Before I started chopping.

Posted Image

And after.

Posted Image

The bit that I chopped out.

Posted Image

Now to see how the engine fits! :wacko:

And it fits mint!!! :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Leg room actually isn't too bad, thought it would be tighter than it is!

Posted Image

Also the prop is going to be longer than I thought it would be.

Posted Image

The good news just keeps coming, bonnet fits on! :D
You would never guess that there is a 1jz under there :P

Posted Image

A cool pic of Maxwell, cam gears and intake!
cant wait to see my turbo hanging off the drivers side! :D

Posted Image

Be back again soon with an update!

Edited by liamcrowley, 21 January 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#15 DaveJH

DaveJH

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Nice looking project!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users