16 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph-C

Joseph-C

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

I've been looking at this mini for the last few days and will hopefully be going to see it some time next week, could anyone give their opinions on the price or any general comments.
here's the advert:

Here We have a recently purchased Classic Mini Cooper Spi 1995 with Just under 80,000 Miles on the Clock it comes complete with half leather seats front and back, red carpets ( a new set is included in sale ), walnut dash with 3 dials in the centre, 6 Disc Cd Changer ,Disc Changer built under back seat. Engine Bay in great condition as can be seen in pictures.
Comes complete with 2 keys and 1 fob for immobiliser. This car comes compelete with all MOT Certs and all service history and reciepts from new, original MINI Folder and Books as seen in Pics. Dunlop Alloys Worth around £400.

It has just had a new clutch and reconditioned gearbox fitted (cost over £600 including labour )along with all new engine rubbers and mounts
The car runs fine and is very reliable and is used daily. Reciepts enclosed dated Dec 2011.

Centre Exit 3-4" Exhaust

Recent respray this 1995 Mini cooper is in great condition

Any Questions please ask email or text any time viewing recommended Posted Image up until midnight Monday - Sunday

Tax - May 2012
MOT - June 2012

Bad Points:

Slight Rip to the Back of the Drivers Seat.

Slight Rip to the Roof Linning around the Courtsey Light

Slight dent to inner rear drivers side rear pannel

£2000 ONO

In amazing Condititon unfortunate sale but as you can see from the pictures in the background i am restoring a 1986 mini so all fund will be going toward that

and the pictures:
http://www.pistonhea...ade=0&current=1

thanks

Edited by Joseph-C, 25 February 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#2 MiNi_BoRe

MiNi_BoRe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

Id say that £2000 is probably about right to be honest.......

#3 Joseph-C

Joseph-C

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

cheers for that, It seems a fair price.
He's told me there's no rust at all but I'm not sure if that's possible :lol:

#4 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

strange you wouldnt look at engine while changing gearbox, amazing

80000 miles engine has to be on last legs

#5 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

If it is as described then £2k is fair...£1800 is better though.

#6 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

I've seen some slightly lower mileage or limited edition models go for about the same money, so its an ok asking price but I'd be haggling down a bit. Markets low at the moment so get yourself a deal

Edited by MaxAndPaddy, 25 February 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#7 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

That kind of depends on the type of miles they are, how well it's been looked after and the frequency oil changes, but chances are that it probably is on its last legs yes. Even if it is, an engine transplant or rebuild really isn't the end of the world and besides with the limited mileage that most mini owners do, an engine on its last legs may last quite some time. My high mileage engine's been on its last legs for the past decade. :lol:

As for value, I would agree that somewhere around the £2k mark is probably about right for this sort of example. That's assuming it's got a full MOT though, I wouldn't be paying that sort of money out for a mini with only four months MOT left to run on it. Ask them to put it through an MOT first and offer to pay for the test, if the car's as good as they are claiming, then they should be happy to do this as it will fly through. If they refuse to do, so then walk away.

Edited by AVV IT, 25 February 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

Unless you're fixing a crunchy second gear and are fixing the car to sell on.... The clues are in the photo's, half stripped mini in the background, big tool chest in the garage...

But for 2k, I don't think it's over priced, but I would be selling the wheels and putting some minilights on instead... I don't like 12" repro D1's, they look too big on a mini.

#9 Joseph-C

Joseph-C

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

I didn't know 80000 miles would be considered leggy on a mini >_< how much would the average rebuild cost?
I think I will ask him to mot it and see his reaction. I thought you could only mot a car a month early?

Unless you're fixing a crunchy second gear and are fixing the car to sell on.... The clues are in the photo's, half stripped mini in the background, big tool chest in the garage...

But for 2k, I don't think it's over priced, but I would be selling the wheels and putting some minilights on instead... I don't like 12" repro D1's, they look too big on a mini.

He does say he was selling because of that other project taking up all his funds. He says the gearbox change costed 600 including labour so its unlikely he did it himself, ill make sure I see a receipt for it.
I don't like the D1's either. Anyone know how much they would go for roughly?

thanks for all the replys :proud:

#10 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

I think I will ask him to mot it and see his reaction. I thought you could only mot a car a month early?

Yes that's the case if you want to preserve the existing MOT expiry date, so that your new certificate actually has 13 months on it. But you can put a car through an MOT and get a new 12 month certificate at any time, (even if it was issued with a new MOT certificate the day before). You don't actually have to wait for the current MOT to expire, or for it to have only a month left to run, before getting a new one.

Which is why people who are serious about selling a decent car tend to put a fresh MOT on it at the point of sale. At the end of the day an MOT costs about £50 and significantly increases the potential sale price and saleability of a car. So as a decent car in great condition should fly through an MOT, you have to ask yourself why wouldn't someone put a new MOT on a car they were trying to sell? :unsure:

Edited by AVV IT, 26 February 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#11 Joseph-C

Joseph-C

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yes that's the case if you want to preserve the existing MOT expiry date, so that your new certificate actually has 13 months on it. But you can put a car through an MOT and get a new 12 month certificate at any time, (even if it was issued with a new MOT certificate the day before). You don't actually have to wait for the current MOT to expire, or for it to have only a month left to run, before getting a new one.

Which is why people who are serious about selling a decent car tend to put a fresh MOT on it at the point of sale. At the end of the day an MOT costs about £50 and significantly increases the potential sale price and saleability of a car. So as a decent car in great condition should fly through an MOT, you have to ask yourself why wouldn't someone put a new MOT on a car they were trying to sell? :unsure:

cheers for that, definitely will suggest it.

#12 bluesprite

bluesprite

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

I read the ad and got the impression it was a dealer/trader and so when I got to the price I was suprised at how low it was. It doesn't mean that what dealer's ask is what the car is worth, it's just whenever I see a roadworthy classic mini for sale from the trade they are almost never at this side of £2500.

Just looked at the pics, and if it's as good underneath as it looks in the pictures and, like avv-it said, you can get a full MOT on it it looks a good price. If the alloys/tyres are worth anything you might be able to sell them and get some minilites and pocket a hundered or more quid.

Edited by bluesprite, 26 February 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#13 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

I read the ad and got the impression it was a dealer/trader

What gave you that impression?? :unsure:

As you say, it's priced too low to be a dealers ad, plus it sounds more like a private sale to me, particularly as the seller states:

"In amazing Condititon unfortunate sale but as you can see from the pictures in the background i am restoring a 1986 mini so all fund will be going toward that"

Edited by AVV IT, 26 February 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#14 Joseph-C

Joseph-C

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

I read the ad and got the impression it was a dealer/trader and so when I got to the price I was suprised at how low it was. It doesn't mean that what dealer's ask is what the car is worth, it's just whenever I see a roadworthy classic mini for sale from the trade they are almost never at this side of £2500.

Just looked at the pics, and if it's as good underneath as it looks in the pictures and, like avv-it said, you can get a full MOT on it it looks a good price. If the alloys/tyres are worth anything you might be able to sell them and get some minilites and pocket a hundered or more quid.

he's definitely a private seller, I was supposed to go see the car yesterday but unfortunately he's gone into hospital. I can see what you mean though, it's a well written advert, seems professional.

#15 Joseph-C

Joseph-C

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

just found this:
http://www.pistonhea...les/3623252.htm
£350 cheaper.
the old advert for the car mentioning an accident it had, needing a new rear quarter?
no mention of a respray like in the new advert?
also the old advert says it needed a sill? and says it has patches of rust, I contacted the seller and he says its got no rust at all!

any advice bit worried now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users