10 replies to this topic

#1 johny:)

johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Rite i now have my mini on its side to do the welding i used this as an advantage to put new brakes lines on it but i am unsure what size petrol lines i need to buy im gessing standerd size mini fuel pipe wont be big enough just wondering can any one tell me what size pipe i will need

also on fuel injection cars they have 3 petrol lines i now 1 is the in to the injector rail the other is retern the the 3rd is a thinner pipe that goes to the fuel preshure valve on the tank does this just need to be connected to a vacume of the engine

and one last question will my mpi pump fuel my b16 or will i need a heigher flow pump

thanks for any help

#2 kingbenvolio

kingbenvolio

Top man with a top hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

If its any help, i used 8mill microbore from the local plumbers!
..i think the standard was 6mill though, but not too sure!

#3 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Don't use normal copper pipe for fuel or brake hoses, please >_<

It's not flexible enough, and will crack over time, and the next thing you know you'll have a burnt out shell.

#4 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

It's not flexible enough, and will crack over time, and the next thing you know you'll have a burnt out shell.

Very good valid point, household stuff is not designed to cope with what a car throws at it.

#5 kingbenvolio

kingbenvolio

Top man with a top hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

...Off to minispares tomorrow then! >< Cheers guys!

#6 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

iv already had one burned out shell i bort a brake pipe kit for a mini of ebay is that not good enough

im not planning on using house hold stuff for my mini going to but braided fuel pipe wen i find out what size

#7 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

iv already had one burned out shell i bort a brake pipe kit for a mini of ebay is that not good enough

Depends, it's not unknown for big companies to sell brake pipes made of bog standard copper.

#8 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

You can use the MPi pipes if you want but it would be false economy while the thing is on its side not to rip them out and install some new ones, your pipes might be fine but newer ones are finer

Get some copper piping from B&Q in the plumbing section, 8mm outside diameter, thats what I used and others have used aswell, no problems using that whatsoever, use this bore for both the feed and return lines

You can use the MPi pump if you want, others have, me personally I like to know I'm not gonna run out of fuel past 8000rpm, the MPi one might be ok but then again something like a walbro 255lph intank jobbie would be better, its got more than enough than you need so it caters for any mods you might choose later on aswell, don't get a cheap copy from ebay as you will regret it, I got mine from CLICKY just get anyone for a jap turbo car as they are all the same, the one I'm using is for a supra TT

Also make sure you have got a MPi pump rather than a SPi one if you are gonna be using it, check the numbers stamped on the side, if its got 5 numbers followed by 7 then its a SPi, if its got 8 numbers followed by 5 then its a MPi one

#9 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Ok thanks Kam that's a real help I will pop down to b&q tomorrow and get sum 8mm copper pipe may as well do it now my pump should be mpi as my car was a mpi cooper but who noes it may have been changed so I will check that think a b16 only has a rev limit of 8 so I shouldn't have problems with running out of fuel I hope

#10 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Certain companies are as suggested selling standard copper pipe as fuel pipe, or even worse, brake pipe. There is no such thing as copper brake pipe, and if you check the BS spec, if it has one at all, you will find it relates to copper pipe for general use, such as heating and refrigeration systems. One of these days one of the suppliers is going to be hit by a massive legal suit, and will find that their product liability insurance, if indeed they have any, will give them no protection whatsoever, as they are wilfully misrepresenting the suitability of the product. Copper brake pipe is a complete scam, and if any supplier cares to disagree, I suggest that they tell us to what specification it is approved, or if it carries no approval, why are they selling it?

The correct material for brake pipes is Kunifer (one trade name), also known as cupro-nickel, and it is properly rated and approved. In the correct diameter it is also perfectly ok for fuel.

#11 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

Copper pipe to the right specification is fine however you need to check this. As Tiger has said though kunifer is the prefered choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users