9 replies to this topic

#1 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Just spayed some bits with acid etch and wondered how long i have to leave it before topcoat? regards Steve

#2 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

not long, just untill its touch dry. can dry with a heat gun to speed it up but 30 mins is ample.

#3 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

your better off leaving 24 hours or it could react when you prime it.

#4 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Do i need to prime on top of the etch primer then? Its u-pol acid#8 1k etch primer. I thought i could just go over with the top coat?

#5 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

I would high build primer it personally, then guide coat and flat it back so it makes sure any marks in the metal are nicely covered and thus the top coat will look best, didn't know you could paint over etch anyway?

#6 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

I am going over it with a textured black finish so it won't need flatting back. I have always left it overnight but a little impatient so wanted to top coat it tonight. I have never had a problem topcoating over etch primer before but i have only ever painted components. Not sure if its correct going over etch with top coat perhaps someone with a bit of paint knowledge could enlighten me?

#7 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

i have painted straight over acid 8 straight away mate and its fine, it wont react with other primers either. remember its a air drying 1k etch so drying time is very quick. check the tin and it will tell u exactly.
i painted my fridge door handles with acid 8 then put base coat straight over it with 5 mins, and had them lacquered and finish within 20 mins and they are perfect. but u have no probs if you are puting schuts or texture over it.
but everyone likes to use things differently these are just my own experiences. but its good stuff just bloody expensive.

#8 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Just been on the u-pol website and can coat straight over in 10-20mins no problems, Thanks Steve

#9 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

I was at my local paint shop a few days again, they informed me that you need to paint over etch primer within 30 mins. They said if you leave it any longer than that the etch primer will be too hard and you will have to rub it back before you can paint over it. I think it even states it on the etch primer can that you can spray over it within 30 mins

I hope this helps

Thanks

Kevin

#10 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

Cheers Kevin, i have now done it no problems, i have also left it for a few days before topcoat in the past no problems. I always use etch primer on bits before i get them powder coated and this seems to work fine as you are right it does dry very hard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users