#31 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

I AM A SPOTTER (TMF LOGO SPOTTER)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the link. I'll keep it in mind. There are more driving jobs in the Army than I thought there were. My choice isn't so simple now. O_O

I was reading something just now that the bigger the meal you eat, the longer it will take for your body to get the nutrients from it. And that when your body can only do so much at a time ie it will struggle to digest the meal AND supply blood and and energy to the muscles being worked on at the same time, causing cramps and nausea.

I also found what appears to be some great info on training to do before basic training.

http://www.guardian....lbeing.fitness1

I've seen the word 'fartlek' pop up a few times and giggle every time. :lol: Just now looked up what it actually is and it sounds pretty nifty. Pick a spot to sprint hard to, then jog until you've recovred, then sprint to the next spot. Rinse and repeat.

I'll cook myself some pasta now. Do some circuit training for a while then go for another run in about an hour with the tips I've learnt.

#32 Thorpsta

Thorpsta

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Local Club: Kings Lynn Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I was reading something just now that the bigger the meal you eat, the longer it will take for your body to get the nutrients from it. And that when your body can only do so much at a time ie it will struggle to digest the meal AND supply blood and and energy to the muscles being worked on at the same time, causing cramps and nausea.

I also found what appears to be some great info on training to do before basic training.

http://www.guardian....lbeing.fitness1

I've seen the word 'fartlek' pop up a few times and giggle every time. :lol: Just now looked up what it actually is and it sounds pretty nifty. Pick a spot to sprint hard to, then jog until you've recovred, then sprint to the next spot. Rinse and repeat.

Cheers for this info ;) Gonna have to use it myself, I've applied for Army college :P Good luck!

#33 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Glad to help somebody else going through the whole learning process. :)

#34 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

Mini Cheddars, with regards to the training, dont do too much too soon. If you haven't done much before , te chance of injury is higher. Good rest days is just as important as the exercise days themselves. When you get more into, after a few weeks you can start doing it a couple of times a day but for now I would stick to one lot a day, probably 5 times a week. I know you will think circuits and running in the same day will be fine and you can cope but I would slow it down a bit at the moment.

At the moment they don't expect you to be super fit, just prepared to work hard. Like Frank said, basic training will take care of the rest.

You need all types of exercise as well - some short, fast runs, longer slower runs, circuit training etc. I would also try and go swimming a few times as well.

And enjoy it while you can. Doing it now in the warm at your own pace is great. It's not so much fun being shouted at on a freezing cold morning at 7am :lol:

#35 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Ha I did quite a lot of exercise yesterday. That 400m/400m/300m run where I felt sick at the end. Had some pasta. Let that settle a bit then did the circuit training as shown on the website once. A while later I went for a 2min jog/2min walk/2min jog/2min walk etc for 20 minutes. Again, did the circuit training but twice that time. Feel knackered but VERY glad I warmed up and cooled down. I've not been bothered to do that before and fricked myself up.

Then watched some Only Fools and Horses, that RMA Sandhurst docu on ITV then the Titanic drama. :proud: Rest day today except for walking to the ACIO and work.

I've found another good-looking training regime someone posted on arrse.

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

Going to start that tomorrow. As well as the fartleks. I'll try and get some swimming time in as well.

Haha love that last sentence. :D

#36 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Well... walked the 45 minutes to the ACIO. Sat down. Some young lad came out and asked if he could help. I said "well, I'd like to join the Army". He said "what part?". I said "Royal Logistic Corp as a driver". He said "okay" and walked out back.

A minute or so later an older lad came out and said they're really busy because of the financial year and asked if I could cone back Thursday. I agreed and asked if he has any fitness or nutrition leaflets to give me and he said he'll give me those on Thursday. Dammit.

Exercise tomorrow. Exercise Wednesday. ACIO Thursday. Then exercise for the rest of the week.

Picked up an energy powerbar and drink as well as a pack of bananas.

Sucks I have to wait until Thursday. Went there last Friday but it was closed for whatever reason. So had to wait until today. Then get told I can't be seen for another 3 days. :(

#37 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

The start will be where you notice the biggest gains in fitness, especially if you go from nothing to quite a lot. But I can't stress enough, don't forget rest days. Any PTI or personal instructor will tell you the same. You might think you're ok and can keep going. But with a days rest, you might knock 20 or 30 seconds off a 3 mile run etc.

Also, you seem to be on top of it, but stretching and flexibility is also important. When I was younger, I never stretched or warmed up etc until I joined. My first warm up alone nearly killed me, despite being able to pass the fitness tests to a decent standard. I had to see a physio recently, and he informed me I'm one of the least flexible people he has worked with. Not good at 28 but I'm working on jut stretching etc now as well as proper cool downs.

You can always use your rest days for a long stretching period. Research it on the net, there are many many stretches you can do. It's not strenuous so you can easily do it on a rest day without feeling tired.

And a couple of days at the careers office won't make any difference really. It sounds like when you get an idea on your head, you go for it. This is a pretty big decision, definitely think about it a lot first. You need to talk to the other people it will affect as well. Parents, friends, siblings, girlfriend (or boyfriend :lol:) as they won't realise what it entails. There is a good chance you will go long periods not seeing people you might be used to seeing everyday.

It sounds like a right cliche, but the army isn't just a job. It really is a way of life. It's great and ****, rewarding and frustrating.

Also dont believe everything you see on ARSE! It's a rumour service for a reason!

Edited by Black.Ghost, 02 April 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#38 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Yeah I understand the importance of rest days now. I haven't done any exercise per sé today, yet my muscles have ached all day. Must make sure I don't overdo it. I just know my fitness isn't great, so I was thinking the more I do, the faster I'll become fitter. But that isn't exactly the case of course. All a learning process!

I keep reading up on that 1.5m run time. I know I'm far away from the 10:30 or so required, so if you say that rest days can actually help get the time down then bonus!

I need to learn some new stretches, really, but I'm sure I'll get that info at the ACIO on Thursday. I'll just do the stretches I know of (about 10) until then.

You never stretched or warmed up? Damn... is your current inflexibility (for want of a better word) a result of that? Cool downs is also what I need more info on as well, now you mention it. Also thanks for the idea of stretching on rest days as well.

With regards to thinking about it, I've wanted a driving job ever since I passed my test in '10 and have been interested in the military since I started air cadets around '01. Plus I have been thinking about it a whole lot recently. Only recently have I thought of doing both at once, as well as exploring this world. It just feels 'right' but I won't stop researching the role(s) I'm interested until I'm at ITC Catterick at the very least. Research is very important to me. Means I know exactly what I'm letting myself in for. Hence starting this thread, really. :)

My mum knows and she's in two minds. One the one hand she's worried about me going off and getting killed. Can't blame her thinking that, really. On the other hand she's proud of me for wanting to join. I don't know if anyone else in my family know yet other than my cousin as my mum told her. My cousin's boyfriend used to be in the Army as well. He was in Germany and Canada for a bit but I don't know what he did.

Haven't spoken to my grandparents for a week or so so don't know if they know of my interest yet. Must go round and visit them actually... Also have no girlfriend and DEFINITELY no boyfriend. :lol:

The whole being away from home for long periods I don't think will bother me. I've never been away from home for more than a week but feel I'm ready for it.

I'm still really excited about the whole thing. Having the Army uniforms, the exploration and adventure, learning a WHOLE lorra new skills and the respect you get from others. I really feel joining the Army is what I want to do. Speaking of which though... I'm starting to edge towards infantry driver. I'll speak to the ACIO about it on Thursday though. Just gives me even more to read up on.

That's gonna be a big post...

#39 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Well... here goes take 3. Will be at the office in about 10 minutes.

Trousers, shirt and tie. Oh and a fresh burn mark on my wrist from the bloody iron.

Wish me luck. This could be the start of something fantastic.

#40 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Good luck!!

:D

#41 maryquant

maryquant

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Local Club: minidesigner.co.uk

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Best of luck - looks like you are really keen!

#42 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Spank you. :D

I said what I want to do, either infantry driver or a driver in the RLC but that I'm leaning more towards infantry driver. He said okay and explained to me what the stages of the application process are.

I came away with an application form, some booklets and a really cold chin. I shaved all my bum fluff off earlier. First time in about 3 years.

#43 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

I cant advise you on any of this as I dont know enough about the process, but I will say a few of our eldest sons friends went the army route and are loving it. Two of them were a bit lost with what to do in life and its been the making of them.

So best of luck with it

Ooooohhh thought of some practical advise...Balaclava for the chin :proud:

#44 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I cant advise you on any of this as I dont know enough about the process, but I will say a few of our eldest sons friends went the army route and are loving it. Two of them were a bit lost with what to do in life and its been the making of them.

So best of luck with it

Ooooohhh thought of some practical advise...Balaclava for the chin :proud:

Everyone I see that say they are or were in the Army (either in real life or online) have said they love(d) it. Which just makes me even more excited to join up. I want some of that. :D

I've been lost with what I want to do with life as well. Being in the Army will be a massive step, but for the better. :D

Also found a chin warmer. :lol:

Posted Image

#45 Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Local Club: Yet to find one local - ish

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Don't do it, only a fool would join up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic