98 replies to this topic

#91 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yeah I was given my score and told what jobs I could do straight away.

With regards the surnames, I was born with one name, and then changed to another. A few years later, I then went back to my original name. I didn't need to show any paperwork at the start but I did later on when I applied for my vetting (security clearances).

You should have most jobs available to you. I know you are set on doing something with driving, but I really would advice having a look at all the options available to you.

Is that 50 seconds off to get to the 10:30? If it is, do some Fartlek or interval training. Work hard at that and you will get rid of the 50 seconds in no time. I worked with a major once who could run the 1.5 miles in 7 minutes 39 seconds - and he was 39 years old!! Ridiculous. There was a female PTI who could run sub 7 minutes. Absolutely insanely quick. She used to give people a big head start and if she beat anyone round, she made them go again.

Don't worry too much about the time - when I did my selection there were people taking longer than 10.30 that were getting in - although they can afford to be more fussy these days because of reduced numbers etc. You might not need to score highly on the BARB test to join the infantry, but you do need to be quite fit.

#92 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

I AM A SPOTTER (TMF LOGO SPOTTER)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Weird that I wasn't told my score then or my options. :\

Maybe it was because of the I.D. issue. Because of my whole I.D. proof thing they couldn't do a criminal record check on me and they also couldn't find me on the system when I told them about my RAF Regiment application about 8 years ago down in AFCO Portsmouth. The Sergeant there was getting a bit pissy about it like I was wasting his time.

There was a Corporal (I think) there that was more helpful (had sort of a good cop/bad cop thing going on) and took me through the medical form and what to do next.

I'll speak to them about it next time I see them.

#93 Thorpsta

Thorpsta

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Local Club: Kings Lynn Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Historic Thread Revival ;) Hows the application going? I've finished mine now, passed selection with a B

#94 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

I AM A SPOTTER (TMF LOGO SPOTTER)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Well done, Thorpsta! Pleased to hear it! :-D

Well I'm currently working as a contractor for GE and feel settled in. A permanent position did pop up and I applied for it, but lost out to someone else who was a much stronger candidate. I hope to apply again when the next one comes up which I've been told more than likely will. So my Army app is on the back-burner until I max out my max contract length which is 18 months; started in May of this year.

Also, my local Army Careers Office has shut down or maybe just relocated. God knows where to, though. :(

#95 Thorpsta

Thorpsta

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I was more than pleased to hear it, nearly blew up with happyness and excitement :P

Is annoying as they shut the offices a week early for Christmas to save money and I was supposed to ring the day my selection which was the day they shut :(
So now theres no places left for the Army College, gotta hope I get put on Op Rocket (where I get the place of someone who drops out in the first week)

Best of luck with your current job though :P

#96 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

Thorpsta, what are you hoping to join/do once in? Basic training is a good experience. Im at the opposite end to you - Im thinking about getting out at the moment for various reasons. I've got a few different ideas in my head but can't really decide what I want to do.

Well done on passing the selection phase. Just keep on top of your fitness before your training starts. Make sure you can do a lot of press ups!

#97 Thorpsta

Thorpsta

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Thorpsta, what are you hoping to join/do once in? Basic training is a good experience. Im at the opposite end to you - Im thinking about getting out at the moment for various reasons. I've got a few different ideas in my head but can't really decide what I want to do.

Well done on passing the selection phase. Just keep on top of your fitness before your training starts. Make sure you can do a lot of press ups!

I'm down for Mercian/Royal Anglian/RLC Driver but want to make Royal Anglians my first choice, and my recruiting office did say to make sure I'm fitter when I go to Harrogate than selection, the more fit I am the easier it is and it shows I'm motivated, since selection i've knocked 20 seconds of my run time

#98 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Good good, keep it going. It doesn't really matter how fit you are, there will still be a few times you feel broken. But its all good training and you are all in it together. I'm attached to the Jocks at the moment and they are actually not too bad at all. But don't tell any of them I said that.

#99 Puddings

Puddings

Nurburgring Master

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local Club: fabmoc/TMF

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Im currently at arborfield doing my AV tech course, make sure your math is as good as your fitness, any questions just ask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users