#1 jamiestevenbell

jamiestevenbell

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

do i have to notify the dvla about me changing my engine from a 850 to . 1293 its declared on the insurance so im covered there, whats the point in me telling them?

#2 Simont

Simont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

the law?

#3 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yes you are obliged to tell them so that they have a record of which engine & engine number corresponds with which car, for vehicle identification purposes . But be warned, DVLA have tightened up on this in recent years. In order to try and combat vehicle identity crime, you now have to provide them with written evidience that there has been a genuine engine swap. http://www.direct.go...cate/DG_4022054.

An undeclared engine change can therefore devalue your car in the vent of resale, simply because of the difficulty of getting an engine change declared after the event (i.e raising the documents/evidence required to prove that a genuine engine swap has actually taken place.) Also in the event of a claim, you could run into delays and other problems with your insurer if the details on your V5 do not match that of your car, even if you have advised your insurer of the engine change.

From DVLA Website:

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)
DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:
  • a receipt for the replacement engine
  • written evidence from the manufacturer
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
  • written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

Edited by AVV IT, 08 April 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#4 Simont

Simont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

sorry, to elaborate, you will be paying less tax (if at all) than you should be if you put a bigger engine in, they will fine you for that, also, they seem to find any excuse to de -register classic cars these days

#5 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

You are legally required to update your records (V5)

same with driving licence etc

Changes you need to update

You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:
  • colour
  • engine
  • cylinder capacity
  • fuel type (propulsion)
  • replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell
  • seating capacity
  • weight of a goods vehicle
http://www.direct.go...cate/DG_4022054

Also possibility of De registration - BIVA required = nightmare

and your vehicle is probably un-insured as not correct on DVLA database

We are not being nasty by saying this - you need to cover your ass

Edited by sledgehammer, 08 April 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#6 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

sorry, to elaborate, you will be paying less tax (if at all) than you should be if you put a bigger engine in, they will fine you for that,

Only if he puts in an engine over 1549cc!!

An 850cc and a 1293cc are in the same tax band for cars registered before 1st March 2001 (£135 for 12 months and £74025 for 6 months) http://www.direct.go...cle/DG_10012524

Edited by AVV IT, 08 April 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#7 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

An 850cc and a 1293cc are in the same tax band for cars registered before 1st March 2001 (£135 for 12 months and £74025 for 6 months) http://www.direct.go...cle/DG_10012524

Think ill get a years tax then ;o)

Edited by sledgehammer, 08 April 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#8 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Think ill get a years tax then ;o)

Yup ...I blame the Tory government myself!!...Penalising the poor amongst us who can't afford a full 12 months!! :lol:

Edited by AVV IT, 08 April 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#9 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

10 years time - this probably won't be a joke :o(

#10 jamiestevenbell

jamiestevenbell

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

well i brought the engine off of 1293 sleeper on here but the block had been skimmed and the engine number got lost, how do i get around this

#11 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

10 years time - this probably won't be a joke :o(

No, it will probably be the price per litre of unleaded!! :P

#12 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I've gota update my engine change and the colour of my car once its back on the road.

I don't have a receipt for the engine and i'm not paying for an inspection to be done either. Unless the MOT place will jot something down on some headed paper to confirm that its a 1275cc thats in it now I don't know what i'm meant to do.

I think i'll just try and write a letter informing them of the changes and tell them that the engine was bought off the internet years ago, so no receipt. If I do that and tell them the new engine number as far as i'm concerned i've done my bit there.

#13 cagy

cagy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Would you need to inform the DVLA if the car is changed from RHD to LHD??

#14 Cater_Racer

Cater_Racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Local Club: HRCR

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

well i brought the engine off of 1293 sleeper on here but the block had been skimmed and the engine number got lost, how do i get around this

What someone I know did was stamp the old engine number into the new one, then told the DVLA that it had been bored out to 1293.......

#15 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

I've gota update my engine change and the colour of my car once its back on the road.

I don't have a receipt for the engine and i'm not paying for an inspection to be done either. Unless the MOT place will jot something down on some headed paper to confirm that its a 1275cc thats in it now I don't know what i'm meant to do.

I think i'll just try and write a letter informing them of the changes and tell them that the engine was bought off the internet years ago, so no receipt. If I do that and tell them the new engine number as far as i'm concerned i've done my bit there.

I really wouldn't do that if I were you, others here have taken similar action and ended up in a right mess. In order to declare an engine change you need to send off the V5 with your new engine number on it to DVLA. If the deceleration does not satisfy their requirements then they will confiscate the V5 until you provide them with what they require, to prevent you from selling on a car with a questionable identity. They also have the ability to prevent you from re-taxing the vehicle until the matter is resolved as well.

So basically either pay for a proper inspection report and make a deceleration that satisfies their requirements, or just don't bother telling them at all (not that I'd actually condone not telling them though).

Edited by AVV IT, 08 April 2012 - 03:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users