#1 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

Gents.

Let me start by saying this site is fantastic. Ive asked a series of questions already and all of you across the atlantic have been way too keen to answer in such quick fasion. Thank you.

Without furthur delay I begin my restoration of the MINI 30. Originally from the UK its a right hand drive which is odd and nice here in Canada. I have a couple books to go on and so the following is how I plan to attack this.

Strip car.
Get rid of rust and do some welding.
Send to painter.
reassemble and add a VTEC with 13 x 7 tires and wheels.

Easier texted than done Im sure.

Attached Files

Edited by 30 mm, 03 November 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#2 TA2DMAC

TA2DMAC

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Local Club: Michigan MINI Motorin Club

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

Welcome. Looks like a good project. Are those 12's on it now or 10's. I have a set of 13's and will probably never use them. I bought them before I knew what I wanted.
If your in the market let me know. I'm in Michigan and have family near Kingston. You from Ottawa or Hull?

#3 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:16 AM

The tires on them now are 12inch. I am north of ottawa but in the area.

I dont plan on buying new tires for the mini until the welding is done just before she goes into primer. From what Ive read I need to cut into te front fenders and work the archs. Thanks for the offer but I have to follow my budget timeline in order for a smooth rebuild.

Best.

30 mm

#4 TA2DMAC

TA2DMAC

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Local Club: Michigan MINI Motorin Club

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hey just wanted to let you know about an event coming up in Ottawa you might like.
Might get you some good leads on parts too.

All British Car Day at Britannia beach.
Saturday July 21st.

Here's the Link

#5 joezone2001

joezone2001

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

hey. great car! I have a cherry 30 too! good luck with your restoration mate. what are your plans as regard to colour? are you keeping it cherry red or changing it? I am undecided on mine..
joe

#6 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Joe,

I want to stay with the mini 30 badge. So im going to go to black. From what I understand 1000 were produced black and 2000 in cherry. Cherry isnt my colour.

HELP! I got the strap off the fuel tank but I cant get the lid off. The part you actually flip up to fill the fuel tank. Ive tried to twist it off with no luck. Any help would be great.

30 mm

#7 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

here is the latest.

Again I need help understanding how to take off the fuel cap from the outside of the car to remove the fuel tank. Best.

Attached Files

#8 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

The fuel cap on mine is held in place by 3 socket head grub screws around the base of the cap. Not sure if yours is the same though.

#9 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

yeah my fuel cap has allen grub screws around the lip, undo them and it should come off ( held in place by locking petrol cap under it so take that off then the cover should come off easy )

and looks like a good project! plenty of rust to keep you busy :P

#10 joezone2001

joezone2001

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Joe,

I want to stay with the mini 30 badge. So im going to go to black. From what I understand 1000 were produced black and 2000 in cherry. Cherry isnt my colour.

HELP! I got the strap off the fuel tank but I cant get the lid off. The part you actually flip up to fill the fuel tank. Ive tried to twist it off with no luck. Any help would be great.

30 mm

Hi 30mm.
Unfortunately I can't help you with the filler flap. I don't think it's a standard one. I have seen them for sale as 'Aston fuel caps' . As far as I'm aware the original one should have a keyhole in it and just turn... Have you tried pushing the cap in and trying to unclip it? Have you tried some wd40 or something similar?
I had that idea about the colour too. I'm not overly keen on the cherry red either although my car is called 'Cherry'. I had the idea of painting her black with the pearlescent cherry red lacquer over the top... I was unsure of what it would look like though... In my head it looks great but it's a lot of money to waste if it looks rubbish. Haha.
Good progress anyway mate. Today I've fitted my passenger side inner and outer sill. I just got a new welder too (I was excited!) as I have never welded before I bought an expensive one as I thought a better quality one would be better to learn with than a cheap one.
Keep it up.
Joe

#11 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

MR J,

I dont have the three points you have but it gave me an idea. Under the hinge where the cap flips up is a small hole. I put an allen key in there and out came the head. A few wacks of rubber hammer later the gas cap is off.

Next issue. Im trying to take the doors off but the screws wont move! I dont want to strip them either but Im affraid Ill have to borrow a torch and heat those babies up unless someone has another way.

Thanks all.

30mm

#12 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

have you tried the bolts in the inner wings, unbolt those 4 and the door should come free, and harder to round off nuts than it is screws so easier that way imo,

#13 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Local Club: A5 & Mini Mainiacs

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

hi mate, good to see another thirty all the way across the other side of the world :lol: your making good progress so far, keep it up :proud:

have a look at my build thread, we've just finished an 11 month restoration of my thirty back to near enough factory spec bar a few subtle 21st centry up grades :D

Rhys

#14 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Alex_B,

Thanks for the tip. Ive playing with this for over a half hour and there is quite a bit of dirt and god knows what back there and Ill have to keep cleaning it up tomorrow. The bolts are beat up but it is the easiest way to go about business.

Rhys, I love your project and I have it as a link on my desk top. Ive been looking at it for some time. What a great project.

Joe, That awesome. It looks like I may have to buy a torch soon but I have lots of friends to lend me their welders so I wont buy one and save money for parts and paint.

Ill keep you guys posted.
Best.

30mm

#15 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

Be careful with the door hinge bolts, they have a habit of snapping off. Wire brush and plenty of penetrating oil should help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users