19 replies to this topic

#1 Jwatts93

Jwatts93

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hello, I'm looking at taking out the back seats and making a "back seat build " I was thinking a wooden board covered in leather that goes diagonally from the parcel shelf area right down to the floor and consisting of two 10" subwoofers two 6x9's and an amp. What does everyone think about this ? And has anyone done something similar or anything in the back seat area ?

Also to power this I'm going to need a second battery is this correct ? And how would I go about doing this I haven't got the faintest clue.
Any ideas criticisms and help are very welcome.
Thankyou

#2 George929

George929

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

dont use 6x9s...... there poo!!!! just sayin..... wait till ruckus shows up... he will tell you the low down...

#3 Jwatts93

Jwatts93

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Ok cheers I hope he does, I'm looking to do it soon and need some advice on everything :L.

#4 Andy!

Andy!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

I think i've seen it before, i dont know anything about ICE but you'll need to build it properlly, i'd guess it needs to fit nicely so it's air tight and heavily soundproofed, also it'll attract alot of attention so unless you've got a garage/it's a show car i'd say it's too risky for an old car to have that sorta money just sitting there in plain sight

#5 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Ok cheers I hope he does, I'm looking to do it soon and need some advice on everything :L.

Guys I'm on holiday at the moment with really limited Internet access, so I can't go in to detail with this until till next week.

But all I will ask you Jwatts BEFORE you start is, what are you trying to achieve with this install?
It might be good to ask yourself that question before you start spending money and your time...

Edited by Ruckus, 23 July 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#6 Jwatts93

Jwatts93

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

Guys I'm on holiday at the moment with really limited Internet access, so I can't go in to detail with this until till next week.

But all I will ask you Jwatts BEFORE you start is, what are you trying to achieve with this install?
It might be good to ask yourself that question before you start spending money and your time...

Cheers for getting back, Dont worry about talking till your home, I basically really like music and just want a really good quality system in the car with good amount of bass but mainly a high quality system , main reason it was gunna be built the way it was (back seat) is because it seemed like the best most spacious place to put it do I didn't have to cram everything in if that makes sense

#7 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

I can pre-emt the response you're going to get on this one, fella.

If you really like music then you should build and position your system so it is received in the best possible way, which comes down to positioning, speaker choice and synergy between them plus the preparation (sound deadening).

The best set up for the Mini is a set of 6" components (or as close as you can get) in the front, angled towards the point between the front headrests (where your ears are :D )and a sub around the 10-12" mark depending on your choice of music, fitted somewhere that it can have a tuned enclosure attached to it - usually the boot but side bins and rear seat can work too.

Adding speakers won't add quiality nor volume, not in a beneficial way and mounting them all together will make for a messy delivery of sound, imagine dropping a stone into a pond, now drop 3 stones real close to each other and see the mess it makes of the ripples. Same idea.

A good sounding set up will need;

Preparation - dampen, deaden and block any noise you don't want to hear. Then take your budget and find the best you can get on that budget, there's some reliable secondhand listings out there too. If you can't afford good quality in 1 go, start with HU and components and later add in the amp and sub.
Enclosure - most speakers work best when enclosed in a box of some kind, find out how big it needs to be and buy / build them to suit.
Placement - take time to position your comps so the sound is going where your ears are. Keep your singal lines away from power lines too.
Tuning - once you're in and fitted, spend time tweaking it for best delivery. Tweeters are very position dependant, also a HU with good sound manipulation options will help this.

What is your prefered choice of music, out of curisosity?

Edited by Skortchio, 24 July 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#8 freshairmini

freshairmini

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

To put it all on a back seat board properly wouldn't as simple as bolt it all to it. Sub woofers (or any speaker for that matter) need an enclosure to be housed in to sound any good, so a sealed or ported box. So to do it properly you would need to create a sealed enclosure behind the board for the sub.

Same for the 6x9's or any other speaker. They will sound best in there own little box. Just like home speakers.

Also generally having the full range speakers behind you doesn't give the best sound. So the board isnt the best idea, or the simplest really.

Ideally you would want the full range speakers (either 6x9's or something better components maybe) up around the dash area, so their aiming towards the front of you an your passengers.

Your best bet would be to have a look at the different build threads like:

Ruckus's: http://www.theminifo...-son-of-ruckus/

blueturbomini's: http://www.theminifo...ade-for-bottom/

and

mine: http://www.theminifo...2-way-sq-build/

That will give you good idea of what good speaker placement it in minis and cars generally.

HTH

Edited by freshairmini, 24 July 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#9 Jwatts93

Jwatts93

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Ok guys Thankyou this has helped me out alot and given ne alot to think about I will do abit mee research on others before I start and see what I want to do from there thanks for the help and advice glad I didn't jump into it,
Anyone got any advice on which specific speakers and makes to go for I know alot of people have mixed opinions about all makes but just want some opinions ,
Thanks guys

#10 Jwatts93

Jwatts93

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Oh just to mention I currently have 2 vibe slick 6x9's

#11 Jwatts93

Jwatts93

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

And a Fairly decent pioneer headunit they are both pretty recently bought aswell

#12 Andyagl

Andyagl

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

i found that the small system i had in mine was very good.

A couple of 17cm mid range in custom made dash enclosures with seperate tweeters in the bottom corners of the windscreen, and just a sub in the back seat.

When i get the car done im thinking of adding another set of mid range/ tweeters to the back, but it is plenty loud enough and the sound quality was amazing.

The mid range tweeter combo are hertz. quite expensive for mid range, but definatly worth it.

Here is a pic of the dash before i pulled the car apart for the roof chop.

#13 freshairmini

freshairmini

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

The above picture shows an ideal layout for the speakers.

As for makes of speakers, hertz & focal are good. They're good mid priced range of speakers. I have heard the hertz HSK's and they sound pretty good.

#14 Jwatts93

Jwatts93

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'll have to try and see what I can fit where in the dashboard as there isn't much room left on it :L

#15 Jwatts93

Jwatts93

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Can anyone tell me what they did to put 4" speakers in there dash where the heater vents go. Firstly how do you remove the dash? Secondly what do you do with the vents that go to this point? And also do they 4" speakers fit straight in ?
Thanks again

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users