193 replies to this topic

#151 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Unbelievable jeff!!! That is some nice work on the sub box that is the one thing I can never do well fibreglass my itchy enemy lol

#152 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Haha, thanks man. I'll assume Jeff is a nickname?

Well if you need some f/g done I'm sure we can work out an arrangement, there's a couple of bits I appear to be having trouble with that I've heard you have a knack for  :D

#153 AusMiniRock

AusMiniRock

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

Holy Moly, just stumbled across this thread. Not only very informative but also entertaining some what. Keep up the great work and curious, what size engine is the latest one you have installed?

#154 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

Holy Moly, just stumbled across this thread. Not only very informative but also entertaining some what. Keep up the great work and curious, what size engine is the latest one you have installed?

Thanks, fella. But, only somewhat entertaining? :ohno:

Currently Ogy is sporting a 1275 Metro engine, HIF44 with MED stub and ITG filter, 65DM dizzy, Granada 90amp alternator and a Benross cylinder head with 1.27:1 pressed rockers.

#155 AusMiniRock

AusMiniRock

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thanks, fella. But, only somewhat entertaining? :ohno:

Currently Ogy is sporting a 1275 Metro engine, HIF44 with MED stub and ITG filter, 65DM dizzy, Granada 90amp alternator and a Benross cylinder head with 1.27:1 pressed rockers.

sounds like it goes pretty well, until the gear box went at least. Must admit it was pretty entertaining, may have spent nearly two hours during work looking through it. By accident of course  :unsure:

#156 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Ahh, those annoying browser problems where you can't leave a website, I know them well :D

I'm hoping for a pretty enjoyable drive once I drop the new head on and get it tuned in. Have the adjustable suspension to set up too.

Will update at the end of the week when I've got something to show for it.

#157 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

With the good weather holding out for a few days this week it was the ideal time to get on and make a concerted push to finish Ogy (haha! I know, I know.)

First on the agenda was to deal with a small bubbly patch on the subframe that I foolishly poked to discover it wasn't in fact made of Aero...

A brief attack with the grinder and wire brushes revealed it was only the bottom plate effected and nothing important, but it was a bit unsightly and looked strange hollow. So a plate, a weld (thanks Darren), an undisclosed amount of grinding and it looked good as new... At least once under 5 layers of paint it will!

IMAG0868.jpg

With that out the way there was only 1 job keeping Ogys wheels from terra firma; the final part of the big 3 upgrade - the + feed from battery to starter.

With P clips, self tappers, drill, underseal, crimps, terminals, tape, hacksaw and a roll of 0 gauge in hand... I couldn't actually move >.<

So I resorted to making a few trips. Anyway, here's the result.

IMAG0882.jpg

IMAG0884.jpg

And I was done, the wheels could go down! That took a bit of a faff as the car isn't very high normally and upon lowering it I couldn't get the jack back out... But it's all fine now.

So on with the ICE!

As you'll remember the sub enclosure was complete but due to the odd shape requirement the internal volume was barely large enough and given the huge displacement of the sub I needed to scavenge a little bit of room.

Polyfil is the solution, now from an audio shop you pay premium price. From a hobby shop (teddy bear stuffing) you get a better deal. But, yep you guessed it, Asda price was the best.

At £3 for enough for 4 enclosures I'm happy. Anyone need some?

IMAG0881.jpg

Box filled with fluff it was time to install it in the car, once I'd fitted the new seats. Freshly recovered and purchased for an absolute steal!
Seats went in smoothly, then the box followed with only about an hours grunting, straining and swearing.

I really really hope it doesn't need to come out any time soon!

But the time was getting on and I had to leave before putting the sub into the box, tomorrow!

Pics of the day.

Done:
IMAG0886.jpg

IMAG0887.jpg

IMAG0890.jpg

To do:
IMAG0892.jpg

Getting pretty exciting now, just the front seat and components to fit. Plus the ever present dashboard and that's Ogy near as finished.

More soon!

Edited by Skortchio, 05 June 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#158 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

I don't understand lol !!   Why fill the enclosure with wadding if space is the problem ?  Is it to scale down the sub itself so it doesn't blow the box apart??

Graham

#159 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

It's science!

When the sub moves it creates pressure inside the box, by filling the enclosure with a material like polyfil that air can pass through but requires more energy to do so, it gives the effect of a larger internal space by impeding the air flow to a degree, this does result in a small amount of heat but it's negligible.

A good fill equates to about 10% more internal volume.

#160 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

looking good mate that new back seat looks very nice. is he still off the road??

#161 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

I know, a bargain purchase that one!

Yeah :( but he's real close now, seats are in and just the head and dash to go. Head was delayed waiting on a bypass hose, so I decided to Vizard my carb and inlet to occupy myself this afternoon.

On opening my man-tin to fetch out the spare jets and needles I found... A brand new Kevlar bypass hose >_<  I now remember buying one about a year ago.

Still the plus side is tomorrow I can fit the head and start the car up!

Need the speedo to arrive and make a new mount for the dash and I should be hot to trot!

#162 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

They say the last mile is the longest and this one certainly feels it!

After a slight delay to the head fitting by not having a bypass hose, I decided I'd follow those immortal words "So it shall be written, so it shall be done".
In this particular case, it was David Vizard who did the writing and me who did the doing... To my carb. With bible and die grinder in hand I set about improving the modest HIF44.

Long story short I made the hole bigger and more slopey.
DSCF1001.jpg

While looking in the box of bits I have for a more suitable needle I came across a bypass hose that I'd apparently bought months previously and forgotten about...
On the plus side it meant I could fit the head!
DSCF1019.jpg

But it felt missing something, given it was so lovingly crafted for me. A small addition in the form of a hat tip was needed:
DSCF1024.jpg

Much better.

That done, there was really nothing more to get on with mechanically until the carb spacer arrived. So I (finally) prepared to fit a dashboard, not bad going I've only been getting around to it for 18 months!
It wasn't a long job and stays in place really easily.

DSCF1026.jpg

Tomorrow I'll set about wiring up and fitting the head unit.
There is a small gripe though, the centre section of the dash isn't! That's to say it's not centrally placed over the switch panel so there's a good possibility that I'm going to be remaking the dash pretty soon!

See:
DSCF1034.jpg

How annoying is that?!
But for now, the dash is in... Until I take it out tomorrow to fit the gauges of course.

While I had the camera out I took a decent shot of the rear seats:
DSCF1031.jpg

And just to finish a fresh front shot.
DSCF1010.jpg

Now to decide on a speedo!

#163 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Looking very good my man you will be over at my bat cave before you know it covered in paint making up for services rendered lol (only joking). So when is the big outing?

#164 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

Haha, you know it! If I can do it, then I will. And it appears I can do a fair bit :lol:

Waiting on the carb spacer >_<  but I'm assured it's been posted so hopefully tomorrow I'll get the gauges in and the original clocks for the time being, then by Friday it should have arrived and I can refit the carb and start him up!

Assuming nothing goes bang, crack, clunk, falls off or leaks. Then I'll be hot to trot.

#165 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well get on with it then lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users