31 replies to this topic

#1 Rjeg95

Rjeg95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Just passed my driving test and wondered if anyone had any tips to make driving a mini a little less eventfull :)

#2 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Take your time, don't go mad. Book a track day so you have fun and learn the limits of the car on a road without trees and cars coming the other way. Minis are great cars to drive, with go-kart like handling but as with any car if you push too hard you will run out of talent!

#3 SA MINI

SA MINI

Previously known as shaunarmes.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Local Club: yet to join HAMOC

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Keep your engine maintained.
Avoid pot holes
& keep feeding it gas :)

I'd also say if it's in good nick. Try and keep it clean underneath & the edges of the shell where a bit of a dirt / road grease builds up.
You will probably expirence people having the urge to overtake or pull out in front of you for no reason just because they think your slow & small,
So just be alert. ( as any driver should )
I would also recommend either a good stereo or some ear plugs :)

Happy mini 'ing

Edited by SA MINI, 24 August 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#4 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

The track day is a great idea, as is taking your time whilst driving it... You probably passed your test in a modern car, which means the mini clutch is gonna feel ridiculous.

All i can say is, congratulations you learnt to drive! Now you need to learn to drive... >_< ;D

They can be great fun but just keep it cool for a couple of months.

Also, if possible (if you have money to spend!) I would suggest wider tyres and arches cause it'll give you more grip.

#5 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

If you haven't already, join a breakdown/recovery service :lol:

#6 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Top Mini

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

If you haven't already, join a breakdown/recovery service :lol:

This is the first thing I did :lol:

#7 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Just passed my driving test and wondered if anyone had any tips to make driving a mini a little less eventfull :)

Slightly concerned that somebody has a driving license but obviously is driving beyond their capabilities here. What does that say about our Driving Test standards?

#8 1275GTS

1275GTS

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Local Club: bmc

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Get some decent tools and keep it serviced regularly. Don't forget unlike a modern car they need radius arms, front suspension arms and balljoints greased up regularly aswell. Enjoy driving it and take it easy for a while whilst you get used to the driving style of a new car.

#9 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

RAG IT

#10 Rjeg95

Rjeg95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for all the replys :)

#11 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

I can remember, when i passed my test at 17 in 1974, how every new thing was a bit 'eventful' for the first couple of months!

A track day can come much later. You really don't need it to drive on the road!

Take things easy and learn slowly. Leave some space in front of you for your adventures! Assuming you've got a classic Mini and not a MINI, remember that you haven't got ABS brakes. Everyone else can stop better than you on wet or greasy roads! [And they still crash!!]

#12 SamMayfair1996

SamMayfair1996

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Remember to check your temperature gauge every so often and in addition to this take a 2L bottle of water incase you ever need a radiator top up :) Made that mistake once on a long journey.

I agree with the above as well, drive nice and slow and to the speed limit (as you should anyway) as nasty surprises are always around the bend and you may have to react- I love cruising everywhere in my Mini, it makes the journey about 30 seconds longer but a whole lot more enjoyable. (Unless you live in the city in which case yuo havent got an aweful lot to look at)

And last boring one- dont let your friends make you act dumb, my mate did this and ended up rolling his car trying to jump a bridge like a :xxx: lol.

Apart from that enjoy it as it may be in the garage more than on your drive >_<

#13 Rjeg95

Rjeg95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Slightly concerned that somebody has a driving license but obviously is driving beyond their capabilities here. What does that say about our Driving Test standards?

I agree that the test isn't really teaching you to drive because all you do is what is required to pass but you gain capabilities by practising and gaining experience everyone has to start somewhere

#14 Rjeg95

Rjeg95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

I can remember, when i passed my test at 17 in 1974, how every new thing was a bit 'eventful' for the first couple of months!

A track day can come much later. You really don't need it to drive on the road!

Take things easy and learn slowly. Leave some space in front of you for your adventures! Assuming you've got a classic Mini and not a MINI, remember that you haven't got ABS brakes. Everyone else can stop better than you on wet or greasy roads! [And they still crash!!]

No its a classic

#15 adam davies

adam davies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Little less eventfull?? thats the best bit about a Mini. I passed last year and it felt really strange driving the mini because it's so different to new cars. You'll sonn get the grips with it and pick up on everything you need to know pretty quickly. Enjoy :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users