#1 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:13 PM

THe brake test switch, is it nesasary? When i press the button, the light doesnt come on, so i was thinking about taking it out, but is it nessasary for the MOT?

If it is nessasary, what kinda things could be the problem? Cheers!

#2 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

i press mine when theres a nast driver in a big car right up behind me :D funny! so yes definately is necissary!!! (well in my case)

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:28 PM

THe brake test switch, is it nesasary? When i press the button, the light doesnt come on, so i was thinking about taking it out, but is it nessasary for the MOT?

Yes it is necessary, as it should light up when you are low on brake fluid or have a more serious problem with the braking system.

The most likely cause as to why it don’t work is most probably the bulb has blown, it only a little 0.75 watt jobbie but almost imposable to find.

If it is the bulb its much easier to change the whole switch (possibly swap over the covers so they all match colour wise) that you could possibly find at a mini breakers yard, if not the next time I’m near the one that’s local to me I pop over and get one for ya.

To check/replace the bulb:
Using a small flat bladed screwdriver carefully liver of the rocker switch cover (the bet you press)
Unscrew the bulb by using a piece of tubing that’s fits tightly over the bulb and unscrew.
Re fitting is the reverse of the above.

Other than that check the connections on the master cylinder as there can easily be damaged when toping up the fluid.

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

LOL! Thats not your brake test switch Holly! :D What your pressing is either your hazard switch, your fog light switch, or the brake pedal!

The brake test switch works thus; it is connected to your brake master cylinder, when the fluid gets low the light on the switch illuminates. To make sure the light is still working you can press the switch which should also make the light illuminate.

It is part of the MOT test, but rarely gets tested, as Dan said in reply to when you asked the question here

#5 wobbit

wobbit

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:35 PM

lmao at holly, i think u mean the fog light switch lol

#6 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

LOL! Thats not your brake test switch Holly! :D What your pressing is either your hazard switch, your fog light switch, or the brake pedal!

Hey i am so not that stupid!!! wheni press the red "brake test switch" my brake lights come on therefore making the driver behind think im braking but i not :D for light , or hazards crazy people

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

Your brake lights shouldn't come on. It shouldn't even be wired into the same circuit! Its not to test your brake lights, you can use the pedal for that!

#8 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

Your brake lights shouldn't come on. It shouldn't even be wired into the same circuit! Its not to test your brake lights, you can use the pedal for that!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( well they do omg my car is broken !!!!!!!!1

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

Hey i am so not that stupid!!! wheni press the red "brake test switch" my brake lights come on therefore making the driver behind think im braking but i not for light , or hazards crazy people

But the brake test switch is not connected to the rear brake lights in any way, so would have no effect what so ever.

Are you sure now that you are not pressing the light switch instead?

#10 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

well not being crazy but it does!!!!

(this is proberly where i look really dumb and it doesnt but i swear to you it does)

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

Ok I believe you…. NOT, slowly backing away turns and runs.

#12 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

omg i so swear it does mayb i am crazy i dont care! :'(:'( poor little mini

#13 Dolts

Dolts

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred and Exhausted

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:05 PM

maybe a prevous owner rigget it up to the brake lights?

#14 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:11 PM

cheers for the replies, opps, i new i had mentioned it in a post somewhere, but forgot which one :D sorry people!
Anyway... i have replaced the switch already, and that hasnt made any difference, i have also cleaned the terminals on the fluid resivoir, still no lil light when i press the switch :D damn stupid thing! grrrrrr, ill hatta go n investigate that one further now!

#15 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:47 PM

look at that, ten mins and iv fixed it!! Started by taking the filler cap apart and cleaning all the terminals inside it, that didnt help, then through i would check the bulb in the switch, that wasnt the problem, then i realised a wire was missing from one of the connectors on the back! It seemed to have been robbed to use on the radio :D theres not a radio in it at the moment (got the interior stripped out) but think i had better put my own radio wiring in!! Thanks chaps :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users