#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

David Vizard ‘Around America Economy Drive’ project in a Mini 1275GT on Dunlop Denovos. It was published in 1976 as a series of articles in the long gone 'Practical Motorist Magazine' which I have scanned and posted below. Does anyone else remember this or have a any more photos of the 1275GT he used? There is one below as shown on the rear cover of DV's book 'How to modify your Mini'

I found these extracts below on the 'EconoMini' 1275GT project from an interesting Pistonheads interview with DV and on another USA tuning forum below:

DV:- "In the search for more power from my Mini engines I first got into the subject of wet port flow back about 1967 maybe 68. All this came to a head so to speak when I became involved as the project leader for the ‘Around America Economy Drive’ project using a Mini as the vehicle of choice. Here, working with several other highly competent engineers, I got to do a significant amount of work studying the effects of mixture atomization and preparation in relation to part throttle fuel economy. The result was a drive, in 1976, around the USA in a 1275 Mini GT with the family and all the luggage needed for a 3 month stay. This was no ordinary creep from point A to point B economy driving and doing so only when the sun was out and the air was dead still. This Mini was road tested by Car & Driver, driven on run flat Dunlops to determine how well they handled both on and off road conditions by Motor Trend and so on. Also I had to bash my way through 3 foot snow drifts in Wyoming by charging them in second or third gear at what. Failure to make it through these drifts could have meant freezing to death. I remember arriving in Laramie and noting that there was ice on the radiator in spite of the fact the engine was running. Indeed it was so cold that the heater only ever got to luke warm. All this and our mini averaged 49.88 to the gallon on our arrival back in New York. All this was detailed in one of the big UK ‘How Too’ auto magazines in 1976 – anyone remember it?"

"Interestingly enough I did this to wave the Union Jack but when I asked for some sponsorship from British Leyland they said my goals were engineeringly unreasonable. So, sponsored largely by a Japanese TV and electronics company, I set out to prove that once again they were wrong."
More:
http://pistonheads.c...zard Interview

The 100 mpg Carb.
By David Vizard
"First off let me give you what I believe qualifies me to address this subject. In 1975 I was the lead engineer on an economy project. The subject was a 1275 Mini GT. That’s a direct relative of the original 1275 Mini Cooper."

"The goal was to see if we could get this car to do 50 mpg at 50 mph. Once that had been achieved it would be taken on a 3 month round USA drive at normal highway speeds (not fuel economy test speeds which would take forever to go anywhere) and see if we could get 50 mpg.. An independent test at MIRA (Motor Industry Research Association) on a truly lousy wet and windy winter day recorded 55 mpg at 50 mph and 99 mpg at 30 mph. OK that 99 mpg is real close to 100 but do we all want to drive at no more than 30mph – no! Not only that but that 99 mpg was achieved with a 1600 lb car. The same size car today weighs in at over 2100 lbs and the average mid sized sedan at 2800 lbs plus."

"I am not sure my team was the first to break the 50 mpg at 50 mph but we did it before Honda and all for less than $100,000 in today’s money. We failed to see that 50 mpg with our round USA trip but did record a close 49.88 mpg. But in all fairness this figure included full throttle road test by Road & Track plus 300 miles of snow drift bashing in 2nd and 3rd gear as we drove through one of the worst winter storms in Wyoming. Added to that the car saw a hurricane in the New Orleans area which we had to out run. But that’s not the end. The car had 'run flat' tires which were magazine tested by driving at 50 mph for about 50 miles plus it was also driven off road. How many economy drives include such? Answer - about none!"

"In addition to the fuel saving we added over 10 mph to the top speed and cut the 0-60 time by 1.5 seconds so we really did address Performance, Economy and Green (PEG) issues successfully."

DV-Book2.jpg
Picture 3 - DV's 1275GT parked by the Golden Gate Suspension Bridge - San Francisco, California on his 'Around America Economy Drive" in 1976

mtn-sep-82_zps6b4f3122.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 01 January 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

David Vizard built Mini Clubman for sale @ £20,000

Quote:-

"This is probably the most famous Mini Clubman in the world.
It was built by David Vizards team as a test bed for his book on tuning Minis and was driven by his daughter Sam to record the fastest 1/4 mile times for a road going, naturally aspirated Mini, under 1400cc.
The engine is on the cover of his book and all the scrutineering tags are still attached to the door handle.
Triple C printed several of his articles on the building and running of the car and it was on the front cover and centre pull out of the very first Fast car."

http://www.carandcla....uk/car/C568577

Edited by mab01uk, 22 December 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:00 AM

Interesting Dave Vizard interview on Turbo-Mini.com

Question 10} If you don’t already own it, what would be your dream car/cars ?

DV I glad you said cars here so I don't have to make a confined choice. Given such a choice of say 4 cars my first would be a true touring capable 'A' Series powered Mini, next a 427 King Cobra, a hopped up crew cab Ford diesel truck for towing the racer and the latest supercharged Cadillac CTS Sports Coupe (0-60 in 3.9 seconds with a computer limited 165 mph top speed (soon fix that computer) for my wife to drive me in on cross country trips. (she is great chauffeur - fast and smooth).

The Full DV Interview is here:-

http://www.turbo-mini.com/72547.html

Edited by mab01uk, 23 December 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:29 AM

I do remember reading snippets of the 1275 GT Economy run, but never found the original article to read, so many thanks indeed for posting here.

Yeah, I recon 49.88 mpg is close enough to call it 50 mpg - especially when taken in to account how the car was driven (seem in a rather 'normal' way) rather than setting out to achieve the numbers.

Even today, almost 40 years later, car makers are still playing catch up with those numbers (and under those conditions), it really is a credit to DV and his team.

Funny that BL didn't want anything to do with that run either, I really don't know what world some of those guys live in. Reminds me of when the AAA did their 'standard' tests on the Metro HLE and achieved 83 MPG, which I understand for a long while BL didn't want to have published!

One thing the A Series is then and still is very good at - weather by design or accident - is getting out-standing economy figures, even in mild states of tune.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

Just been reading the articles (I'm still reading at this point). Interestingly - in 1975 - DV Did his calculations and came up with a suitable Final Drive ratio of 2.9:1, which he had Jack Knight Development make for him.

So,,,,

Fast forward to (around) 1986 and what does BL do (or copy)? and why?

Gotta love these guys, they catch on fast,,,,,,,

I'm really enjoying the article, however, at the risk of coming across as being a little greedy, there seems to be subsequent articles following those, would you also have them?

#8 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA MOC

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

Interesting read

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

I'm really enjoying the article, however, at the risk of coming across as being a little greedy, there seems to be subsequent articles following those, would you also have them?

I think you are right......I thought I had copied all the articles.........if I have them I will scan and post up the rest asap.

#10 AEM

AEM

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Local Club: MCR.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for posting that up, I remember reading some of the articles about that Mini and the great DV, the Allegro owners club have an economy run and have seen similar figures recorded albeit over much shorter distances.

As others have said, it's amazing what the old A Series engine is capable of with a bit of well thought out and properly applied engineering, it could have been used for a lot longer instead of the very flawed K series, the K series money would have been better spent on the A++ series?

I love the Howley Racing 1430 Cooper S, what happened to that RFX 605K?

#11 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

£46 for a custom FD! :D

I think you are right......I thought I had copied all the articles.........if I have them I will scan and post up the rest asap.

Have a dig for the rest of it Mab, that is very interesting stuff but it was cut short!

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

By popular request here is Part 3 of the David Vizard Round the USA Economy Drive article below..........now searching for Part 4 !!

DV-USA-1_zps39ca4eb0.jpg

DV-USA-2_zps1008e72b.jpg

#13 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:57 AM

Anymore of that Mab? It does say "Continued next Month"  As I'm only managing 32 mpg from mine as it is I'm finding it all very interesting.

#14 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Anymore of that Mab? It does say "Continued next Month"  As I'm only managing 32 mpg from mine as it is I'm finding it all very interesting.

Thanks for the reminder......glad you have found it interesting. I have now found Part 4 so will scan and post it on here later today.

Edited by mab01uk, 17 February 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Part 4 has been requested by many so here it is (sorry for the delay in posting!).......more to follow very soon!

DV-USA-part4-1_zpsr87ic4cs.jpg

DV-USA-part4-2_zps9te5rvgv.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 27 February 2015 - 06:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users