10 replies to this topic

#1 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:19 PM

Hello people can I trouble you for some help.
My new mini :w00t: purchase has a few snags which was expected. The other day all my electrics went funny but got most of it sorted out. There was a blown fuse and some dodgy connectors. Now I went and got it rolling roaded yesterday and at the end of the run he hit the brakes and the headlighs came on too :dontgetit: All my lights work normally and are not effected when driving and braking. This only happens when driving in the day with lights off. We also thought it only happened when I was driving but now I can do it sat at lights.
Does anyone know of this problem happening before and does anyone know where these two systems are linked together??? I'm looking at the mo for dodgy grounds and connectors. cheers

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

Headlights or sidelights?

#3 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:51 PM

could be a faulty brake/sidelight buld, when you hit the brake power gets diverted throught the light circuit, or a bad earth on the rear light unit

#4 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:45 PM

Think it's my side lights that come on. There are new bulbs in the rear so don't think it's that.

#5 Bristolmini

Bristolmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Local Club: Northavon Mini Drivers

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

Have you got the right bulbs in the rear, there are two types. One for just tail lights and one for tail and stop lights, if you have the ones with just tail lights fitted it shows this problem I believe. I have also had this problem with a faulty rear bulb.

If the bulbs are new this could be the cause

#6 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

Think it's my side lights that come on. There are new bulbs in the rear so don't think it's that.

I've fitted some LED bulbs as I have clear rear clusters. They are both stop and side light. Said a direct replacement for the original bulbs. I have some normal clear bulbs so might give those a try and see if it still happens.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:59 PM

I thought it would be sidelights rather than headlights, that's why I asked. It's generally caused by faults with the stop tail bulbholder, is the lamp unit half full of water or is it very wet?

#8 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:03 PM

i had the same problem a month or so ago, turns out mine was being cuased by faulty rear bulbs in my brake lights! i had just changed my lens aswell! the red bulb that i had in was causing it, so i changed it to led clusters and it was sorted. so you might have some faulty led ones?

maybe? :w00t:

#9 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

Cheers people. The bulb holders are dry so it must be something to do with me bulbs. I'll fiddle round with them tonight and see happens :w00t:

#10 Neilos

Neilos

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:06 PM

Get your haynes manual and find the diagram for your headlights. There are wired in series, but also your rear lights are wired to them. if they have shorted or been incorrectly wired to your brake circuit, this would turn your headlamps on. If not, check your earth connections, if you have a short or leak to earth or a dodgy earth that isnt mated with the car correctly, this will lead to loads of funny things!

#11 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

ok an update. Sorry to Dan :w00t: but it is actually the headlights that come on not the sides as my missus said. Took the clear lenses off and had a change around of bulbs. This is where it's strange. The LED bulbs both worked brake and side lights. Put normal bulbs in and the nearside one didn't do sides but still did brake. I'm thinking there might be a dodgy bulb holder but with the normal bulbs in the headlights don't come on. Like most of you said chances are I got some dodgy bulbs sent through. Now i want to take out the bulb holder but the fuel tank is in the way (nightmare) I have a 1275 carb sprite on an M reg. Anyone know if this is easy enough or do I have to drain the tank like the haynes said???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users