#1 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hi all,

I was just wondering what drive ratio's you all run and your wheel size and engine combo?

Ive got a 3.44 with 10" wheels and a 1380, but its too sort and bloomin noisy on the motorways, so I want to change it!

Ad

#2 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

i have an mpi cooper and the final drive on it is 2.76.

this is good for on the motorway as it is fairly quiet when sticking to the highway code.. ahem..
but the acceleration is not as good as a higher ratio like what you already have, but its not to be honest, for cruising id choose a 2.76 anyday
for track and nippy thrasher id use 3.44 or higher. depends on the application really.

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

Yeah I have a 3.44:1 diff ratio with 1:1 drops on 10" wheels. I find it revving to about 4300 when on the motorway at 70mph. With the straight cut box and drops and cage and solid mounted bits etc its pretty horrendous on noise levels, but I like the acceleration, I wouldn't consider going any higher on the ratio, or even any lower, I like the 3.44 :w00t:

#4 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

I love the acceleration too, but it does get bad sometimes. Im planning on adding lots of soundproofing to help too.
Im going on hol in it to the south of france, im gonna bring some ear plugs as a last resort!

Id like it to be best of both, i.e. an everyday car that can be trashed round a track.

Thanks Ad

#5 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

i like the diff from a 89 mini 998, thats what i had on my last mini 998, i think its 3.2, it was a nice driver on b roads and motorway.wasnt that noisey at 70mhp. i am always told to go for a 3.44 in my rebuild that im planning but am dubious on whether it will be what i want. by the way is it safe to drive at 4300rpm lol, i always get scared im thrashing it to much lol

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:26 PM

i have a jack knight 5 speed box so i do have the best of both

in 5th 80 mph is about 4000rpm :w00t:

#7 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

lol, my car is an earplugs car anyway, in fact that reminds me I need to get some more, running low on earplug supplies!

4300 is safe yeah, its noisy but safe. 5000+ constantly isn't so safe, but you'd be breaking the speed limit so shouldn't really be possible to do damage, unless you cruised at 70 in 3rd!

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

IMO, best diff for a mini is a 3.44, but if you do do a lot of motorway miles can be a little tiresome, so would suggest dropping to a 3.2 or 3.1, dont go any lower or your acceleration will suffer drastically.... unless of course you have a turbo :w00t:

#9 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

i get confused with diffs as i always try and think what ones will cover more ground per rpm without making it like a dry snail. when i had the 3.7 on my old 1330 it pulled hard and the rpm built up really quick but not covering much ground, so gear changes were one after the other. is it possible to undergear an engine so you actually loose power per gear?

#10 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

I've tried a 2.95, a 3.1 and a 3.44 on my 1275.

The 3.44 fast acceleration, but over 4000rpm at 70mph. Too loud for long motorway runs.

The 2.95. Slower to accelerate. Cruises on the motorway nicely, but a pain around town as you're forever between 3rd and 4th gear.

3.1 Not too bad on the motorway, acceleration good enough to show up other cars, and you can leave it in 4th around town. Best compromise for me.

#11 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

Humm yea, I think 3.44 is the best if you dont do any motorway driving, and its great around the lanes!

My old 998 engine had a 3.2 I think (if anyone can confirm, it was an 88 built mayfair) and was a tad underpowered but the gearing was quite good.

Thanks for the replies people

#12 ianbunyan

ianbunyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

i hav no idea :dontgetit: wish i knew more! LOL :w00t:

#13 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:15 AM

why do you all complain about your car being too noisy? Isn't that part of the fun of a mini??? Mine is a 3.44 and I'm going to drive it 15 hours across country in july.

Al

#14 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners Club / Bruuuums Mini's

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:55 AM

havent even got a clue what diff is in a mg metro engine and box??
anyone like to enlighten me!??

#15 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

Could be anything, but I think they had a 3.44 std..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users