41 replies to this topic

#1 7o8y

7o8y

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

Well it's about that time where I should start doing my online diary of my latest project....

My Suzuki GSXR1000 K4 powered MK1 Mini!

Bought my little MK1 a few weeks before xmas, was a daily driver with MOT, tax etc. and very solid....well from what I can see so far!

So then I was trying to decide what to do with it, I wanted something fast but still keeping a retro old skool racer look, and my main idea was to go Metro Turbo. But I really didn't want to keep rebuilding an engine as is the case with hi-spec turbo lumps. So then I thought about going 1380 and using a twin choke Nikki carb that I have and seeing how that went......but then......I went on the Z-Cars website!! Very fast, light, reliable engines with rear wheel drive....hmmm that got me thinking!
So I contacted Chris at Z-Cars and asked him about putting it in a MK1 because from what I could see of the kit the door bars on the roll cage would foul when the door is shut as the MK1 doors have big pockets that protrude quite far. He quickly replied and said that he would modify anything on the kit if I gave him the measurements. Great, so I booked a day to go and see him and have a look around and get a ride in the demo car.

WELL......after getting out of the demo car with a smile that you could fit a bus ticket between my cheeks, I was instantly hooked!!

Now to get the money together and get it started.............

a few pics of my MK1 awaiting the transformation!

Attached File  DSC00075.JPG   152.16K   28 downloadsAttached File  DSC00076.JPG   158.75K   40 downloads
Attached File  DSC00072.JPG   155.89K   17 downloadsAttached File  DSC00073.JPG   154.83K   18 downloads

Have got more stuff to add so keep your eye out!

#2 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hi mate

I'm not sure what the purists will think about you chopping a Mk1 up to put a bike engine in but good luck with the project, i am sure it will turn out to be a very interesting project!!

When does your kit arrive from z cars??

Did you consider putting a bike engine in the front at all??

Keep the pics coming!

Cheers
Dale

#3 STEVEBLACKER1960

STEVEBLACKER1960

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

DONT DO IT!!!!
sell it to someone who will look after it, andand with the proceeds buy a later less desirable mini to chop up.
just my opinion , your choice , good luck!

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

as above :'(

or buy a realy rusty one that doesnt matter if you cut the back out

#5 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

Im not a purist by any means but I really think you should consider not using that car.

If you reallly want a bike engined Mk1, why not sell the Mk1 you have, make a mint, buy another solid car, convert that into Mk1 as much as possible (Light, door hinges etc etc) and put the bike engine in that?

But its your Mini, do what ever you want, and good luck!

#6 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:45 PM

Do it. I have a 63 and am doing the same thing.. theyre enough around. every one who barks about it wouldnt buy it anyway...RichMk1 :w00t:

#7 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

DO IT. If that's what you want to do, you should aim to please yourself, and no-one else (unless your married etc!) :w00t: I like the idea of the gixxer engine too. What are your plans for it when finished?

#8 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

door bars on the roll cage would foul when the door is shut as the MK1 doors have big pockets that protrude quite far.

Had this problem with the pickup so didn't have door bars fitted. Then found that they hit the front leg of the roll bar anyway so ended up just cutting the pockets off of the doors. Made them a lot lighter :w00t: .

Just started building a minus with a gsxr1000 engine. Looks a lot smaller than the R1 and Hyabusa so will be interesting to see how they fit.

#9 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

would the gsxr not go under the bonnet then?? i'm toying with it, there's a bloke in coventry doing similar kits to Zcars for half the price... reckons he'll have the kits ready in a few months and has already made his own space framed hayabusa, looks and goes just like z cars version... he says he can't yet get one in the front end but may work on it later.... personally i wouldn't sacrifice a MK1.... but it's your car and money, so long as it makes you happy.... unless of course it was made to look totally unsuspecting and innocent, that would be WICKED.

#10 7o8y

7o8y

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

I'm very sorry to all those people who don't agree with chopping up a MK1, I knew it would upset alot of people but it's just gotta be done! It's different and I will be keep it looking like a MK1 still as much as i can, I like the idea of it being deceiving! Oh and it will be tax exempt too so a nice cheap mental fast car to run LOL!

Haven't ordered kit yet, still getting the last little bit of cash together because after seeing the front tubular subframe i decided to get that aswell and also the LSD (a must if you don't want to be pulling away every time with the back tyres alight!), but won't be long now...can't wait!

My plans with it when it's completed is to have lots and lots of fun driving it and scaring people!!!

GSXR1000 lump will be interesting, is more powerful than R1 and only a little less powerful than hayabusa but 15kgs lighter than busa lump! Only thing is I can't seem to find an induction type air filter for it, can get elements but don't want the airbox really.
PETE.....have you come across anything seeing as you're using this engine now??

talking of the engine, here's a few pics of mine.................

Attached File  DSC00088.JPG   149.41K   62 downloadsAttached File  DSC00090.JPG   142.79K   70 downloads
Attached File  DSC00089.JPG   180.63K   25 downloads
mmmmmm.....titanium manifold!

P.S pics are with back of bike still bolted to it, will update soon to show you actual engine size

#11 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

looks like it will be a cracker! i thought the r1 had a little more torque? no matter still going to be quick. have you any plans for sprinting or track days or will be be just on the road?

#12 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

i dont agree with chopping up a mk1 :w00t:

but good luck anyway

#13 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

Looks just like this one

http://www.pistonhea...sales/71959.htm

seems a shame to chop it up :w00t:

#14 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:39 AM

would the gsxr not go under the bonnet then?? i'm toying with it, there's a bloke in coventry doing similar kits to Zcars for half the price... reckons he'll have the kits ready in a few months and has already made his own space framed hayabusa, looks and goes just like z cars version... he says he can't yet get one in the front end but may work on it later.... personally i wouldn't sacrifice a MK1.... but it's your car and money, so long as it makes you happy.... unless of course it was made to look totally unsuspecting and innocent, that would be WICKED.

Who is the company would be very interesting and any further details if you have them

Cheers
David

#15 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

TDK Racing in coventry
[email protected]
Mobile - 07885652278

Kit not quite ready yet but email him for details, he sells all fibre glass stuff to... half the price of anyone else because he makes his own

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users