#16 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Unless you have some sort of Mechanical Sympathy, I beg you. Don't buy one.

You'll be opening yourself up to huge labour charges and expensive work that you can't do yourself. Mini's go wrong, after all, they're built by, BMC/BL/Rover etc. These are not brands that ring out reliability, they break.

And for £1500, you're probably going to be looking at a slightly worse for wear, badly specced mid 80s car. Look around the £2-£2.5k mark and you'll start to find the nice ones.

#17 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

And Ian, thank you for saying the correct thing. IE; the truth. People give the brilliant side to the Mini often telling them, buy one because its retro cool.

They're not safe compared to modern cars, despite what anyone tells you, yes the shells can be strong, but their strength means that the impact is given to the passengers and driver.

They're not great on motorways, you'll get addicted and spend thousands.

#18 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

i bought my Seat ARosa ( my third car by the way) for 300, taxed and tested... spent a further 600 over the course of a few motnhs including testing again servicing exhaust and cam belt... for under 1000 i have a car that will easily run another ten years if i needed it to. drives great, i feel totally safe because its german design and built its a 1.0l does 50 to the gallon, there is a n amazing car scene that it can be part of... yea, unless you are a mechanic in training, your dad is a mechanic or your dogs poops gold reconsider mini ownership... because the cost never stops :P

#19 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

your dogs poops gold reconsider mini ownership... because the cost never stops :P

I wish my dogs pooped gold....I'd be rich.

#20 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

ha sames bro we look after dogs for people as a business...

#21 anthonysjb

anthonysjb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

1500 miles in (2 months) and no mechanical issues with my MPi, first car too!

Edited by anthonysjb, 19 March 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#22 minifirstcar

minifirstcar

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

right ts get this clear. yup they are very cool, they are good fun to drive, the insurance is relatively cheap... but make no boens about it, if you crash, its gonna hurt...a more modern car is going to give you considerably better protection in times of need, that doesnt make you bullet proof. But it IS something to think about.

model is irrelevant really, mayfairs aren't going cheaper than most, it probably jsut looks like that in relation to the Cooper models, which has a bigger engine and will cost you more on insurance... my opinion to you is to find either an 850 or 1000cc mini with a good solid shell

mechanically YES they are simple... but that doesnt matter if it needs alot of work, unless you can work on it yourtself you need to remember most garage rates are £40 per hour.
please choose wisely, i dont want to see you getting a lemon... minis are good first cars and you'll enjoy it, but there are other equally compelling options out there.

My Dad is having the same thoughts as you! Thing is I cant find an equally compelling option with the same combo of insurance price, fun to drive and cool!

#23 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Just wan't to say, I'm not even 17 yet. I will be in August. I'm saying this from the amount of money I've spent on mine, and I'm training to be a mechanic.

I'm not saying don't buy one, I love mine. But...I wanted to make sure you understood the other side of it.

Edited by Noah, 19 March 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#24 TylerW53

TylerW53

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

By all means, by a Mini. They're great little cars and work most of the time, but for the times they dont you need a degree of mechanical knowledge to fix it. If you can save up and get a good one.

#25 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

if you understand all of these points, and still want one... then by all means do it, i wont stop ya ;) but there is alot of things to take into consideration before you go and get one... you sacrafice certain things when you buy any car, so as long as you know the risks and outcomes of owning a mini and you can live with that then off you go and find one :)

in terms of small cool scene cars, i would say, lupos arosas polos,

uncool scene cars are corsas and saxos

good small cars with not a huge lot going on would be the clios, 106's the lesser knwon asian makes.

#26 TylerW53

TylerW53

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

if you understand all of these points, and still want one... then by all means do it, i wont stop ya ;) but there is alot of things to take into consideration before you go and get one... you sacrafice certain things when you buy any car, so as long as you know the risks and outcomes of owning a mini and you can live with that then off you go and find one :)

in terms of small cool scene cars, i would say, lupos arosas polos,

uncool scene cars are corsas and saxos

good small cars with not a huge lot going on would be the clios, 106's the lesser knwon asian makes.

Old 205's look pretty cool. Especially the GTI version

#27 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Just to throw it out there for a possibility, I almost bought a 106 last week, on 60k for £300. Needed 2 new CV boots and an MOT. Could have that all done for under £500 including the car.

#28 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

yarp, nice cars. easy to run... and eys oold pugs are nice.. any old pugs not just the 205s :P

#29 MrElliott

MrElliott

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

I got my 1990 studio 2 just after turning 17 in September for £1500 with 30k on the clock and its only broken down once when the clutch slave cylinder leaked :/ but it was an easy fix and parts are cheap as chips :) socket set and a Haynes has kept me rolling. Its by no means a safe car to drive but if your sensible and maintain it well then a mini will bring you a lot off joy and sometimes it might get you to your destination ;)

#30 TylerW53

TylerW53

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

As Issigonis said "I design my cars with such good steering and such good brakes if people get in to a crash it's their own fault"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users