Photo

What Bushes And Mounts For The Rally Car?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Archived4

Archived4

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi all, building my road rally mini at the moment, and want to ask the experienced people what is best? I've heard poly bushes are crap for engine mounts?? and I'm not too bothered about vibrations, so would solid mounts be advisable? What have you lot had success with? Cheers, Nathan

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hi Nathan.

I'm running standard rubber lower mounts (thats what was on the car when i got it!) as they are currently working fine and in good condition. The top engine steady has been upgraded to poly and makes a difference with engine rock. Also have an ultimate engine steady on the other side.

To be honest i too have heard bad things (vibration) about poly engine bushes but i've no complaints about my current set up. I've always swapped out the standard engine steady rubbers for poly and never had any issues.

Don't know too much about solid mounts for engines.....would think a little movement is still required or you'll shake you're teeth out and may break something mechanical.

#3 Archived4

Archived4

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Ah cool, are the polys the orange ebay stuff? Or floflex products? And I meant to say poly subframe mounts. Aswell as the teardrops. Will also invest in an ultimate engine steady.

#4 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I got my poly steady bushes from minispares and they are purple. Personally i like using Powerflex normally as i think they offer good products....they are more expensive though. Poly bushes are probably much of a muchness....but buy cheap buy twice.

As for the others.....i do have poly teardrop's (again already on the car). As for the other top mounts....my car is a twin bolt typre so don't have bushes. But i had poly top mounts on an old car and i thought worked ok but would change them for solid if i was doing it now

#5 Archived4

Archived4

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

I use powerflex on my Sierra rally car, and I've got to say they are way way better imo. And fair enough. Would you use lower solid subframe mounts? on the kick board? I assume they would need re inforcement as standard. Do you use poly bushes for the suspension bits and pieces?

#6 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

My mounts on the lower rear subframe are solid as they are built into the earlier subframes....if i was you i'd go solid.

My floors are good so ain't reinforced the bolting area, but i reckon it'd be a good idea...another one to add to my 'to do' list!

Also reinforce the subframes.

I'm pretty sure my suspension bushes are all poly...but they are black so not Powerflex. I've read several pieces of advice that say to use rubber tie bar bushes though....can't remember the reason though.

So you looking at doing any particular event? Altratech 061 is soon is it?

#7 Archived4

Archived4

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Ah right. Will do that as well then. And will use old school techniques for subframe re inforcement. Will also delve further into the tie bar thing. Regards events, I used to do results on the 061 when highpeak 061 ran the event. but since they murged with stockport, it all went wrong for the results team. And now we dont bother anymore. We do the VK and Drystone results. My dad doesnt compete anymore after they made his v6 sierra obsolete so I'm gonna give it a go in my mini. :D

#8 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ah right. Will do that as well then. And will use old school techniques for subframe re inforcement. Will also delve further into the tie bar thing. Regards events, I used to do results on the 061 when highpeak 061 ran the event. but since they murged with stockport, it all went wrong for the results team. And now we dont bother anymore. We do the VK and Drystone results. My dad doesnt compete anymore after they made his v6 sierra obsolete so I'm gonna give it a go in my mini. :D

Sounds good. I'd like to try the VK sometime but i think budget constraints may put this year on hold. The Altratech is just down the road for me so would be rude not to give that a bash also....need practice first though

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

I can't tell you what bushes to fit in your car, but I can tell you what I have on my rally cars. The front sub-frame MUST be solid mounted. The front tie-bars have standard rubber bushes with castellated nuts and split pins. Engine mounts are standard 'original' ones. Inner lower arm bushes are competition ones with offset sleeve to enable camber to be set exactly when using non-adjustable 1.5 deg, neg. camber lower arms. Tie bars are adjustable length. An 'Ultimate Engine Steady' is fitted and for early car a stronger rear remote gear-change rubber mounting is fitted. On rally cars without the remote gear change, the extra front lower steady mountings on the sub-frame are reinforced. The toe-board it strengthened by the welding on of a 16 swg doubler plate to prevent the toe-board splitting. On early cars with solid mountings as standard this is not necessary.

#10 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I use the same as rally1380, but on the tie rods i use poly bushes on the inner and standard on the outer. This is supposed to help stability under braking but keeping the normal road vibration down. Dont know if theres anything in it but its seemed to work for me

#11 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Avoid poly bushes at all exception made for the outer tie bar bushes.
Solid mount you subframe, possibly fitting some spreader plates to the heelboard where the lower mountings bolt to.
Standard engine moutings are good.

Poly subframe bushes will give crap handling and fail badly..

Edited by jaydee, 19 March 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#12 Archived4

Archived4

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'd like to try the VK sometime but i think budget constraints may put this year on hold.

If I could reccomend one event that looks amazing it would be the VK. Usually there's a 'special stage' In Steve perez's forest where he tests his stratos and Focus apparently. He's a great guy letting matlock use it! It's a laugh to watch too. A hair pin, bumpy down hill section, and a twisty up hill section for the run down the bumpy straight again. Oh my, it's a brilliant event to watch anyway!

And cheers Rally 1380 and Minisi35, All noted down. I read on minispeed that the poly inner and standard outer is best, so might try that.

I also have adjustable heavy duty bottom arms. I hink I might polybush this too.

Jaydee, why are polybushes crap? My experience, and my dads, are that they are good. They survived holding up a heavy v6 4x4 sierra engine bashing about the preston and many other events, so why not for minis? Surely they can put up with weight and flex? Although floflex bushes suck.

Edited by Smiler258, 19 March 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#13 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I reckon Jaydee is referring to the lower rear bushes on the front subframe with regards to being pants made out of PU....but you'll be fitting solid mounts here.

But as for any other bushes, they are all round 'top hat' style with pins through them so can't see these being a problem.

VK here we come then....sounds like fun!!!

#14 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

The VK has been on our championship for a couple of years, but ive never done it as i believe alot of it is "plot and bash" rather than "pre plot" and my navigator has has bad experiences with that type of event

#15 Rob Jones

Rob Jones

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Local Club: North Wales Car Club

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

The VK has been on our championship for a couple of years, but ive never done it as i believe alot of it is "plot and bash" rather than "pre plot" and my navigator has has bad experiences with that type of event

I did the VK last year as a navigator and it was pre-plot with an hour to plot, although there were a few time controls not listed, you just came upon them!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users