#1 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

I have a mini city. It has an interior light. It has never worked since i purchased the car. Does anyone have an idea how it switches on and where the leads come and go? I havent seen any kind of push switches by the doors or anything?

#2 mini1976

mini1976

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

Does it switch on if you use the switch on the bottom of it to turn it on, if it does then the light works ok and it might be the push buttons that the doors push on. My car has a small push button on the door frame by the hinge to turn it on when the door is open.

#3 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:24 PM

Does it switch on if you use the switch on the bottom of it to turn it on, if it does then the light works ok and it might be the push buttons that the doors push on. My car has a small push button on the door frame by the hinge to turn it on when the door is open.

No it doesnt switch on when switched. I think the bulb is ok though as it looks all in tact. I'll check later to see if i have the small push button. Thanks for the super duper quick reply!

#4 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

My city interior light doesn't work either! lol although its not the bulb as it works when you move the switch on the bulb unit. I've never tried to hard to get them working but i'd like to know too!

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

usually problems from lights switched by doors is in the switch not grounding properly. Take it out (single screw and manipulate it out the hole), clean it thoroughly and try again. You can always check if it is indeed the switch by touching the lead from the switch directly to a good ground too.

#6 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

Does anyone have a pic of theirs and how it should look? Mine is as follows... well the hole really...I think?!

Attached File  DSC00814.JPG   62.39K   8 downloads

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:05 AM

That's another thing to add to the list then. Better buy some interior light switches! And some check strap seals. And see how much other damage was done when that door was forced open past its stops.

#8 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:13 AM

That's another thing to add to the list then. Better buy some interior light switches! And some check strap seals. And see how much other damage was done when that door was forced open past its stops.

Any idea where i can get these light switches? And how much they might cost?

#9 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

You can get them from halfords, 2 for £5 i think, same as the ararm door switches

The positive feed goes to one side of the bulb and the otherside of the bulb connects to the switch.

When the switch is out, i.e. door open the switch earths and the light comes on.

#10 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

i think jam2005 has some for sale.

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

Moss Europe is just down the road from you, the other side of Feltham.

Buy some new ones, they're only cheap and they will be working which second hand ones might not. Doesn't take much rust to stop these working well. You need some checkstrap seals as well while you're at it and you don't want second hand ones of those so go to Moss. Always buy genuine parts, they will actually fit.

Edited by Dan, 18 April 2006 - 01:29 PM.

#12 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

Moss Europe is just down the road from you, the other side of Feltham.

Buy some new ones, they're only cheap and they will be working which second hand ones might not. Doesn't take much rust to stop these working well. You need some checkstrap seals as well while you're at it and you don't want second hand ones of those so go to Moss. Always buy genuine parts, they will actually fit.

Cheers Dan will go there tomorrow and pick up a few little bits needed. Sorry but what are checkstrap seals?

#13 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

The rubber seal that goes around the metal edge where the checkstrap (bit that stops your door opening too far) comes through the panel)

#14 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:50 PM

The rubber seal that goes around the metal edge where the checkstrap (bit that stops your door opening too far) comes through the panel)

Does anyone have a picture of how this looks?

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

Old nasty rubber type looks like an inverted teardrop with one hole in the middle and the checkstrap needs to be released and refitted to fit the seal.

Old rubber type.

New better neoprene type is more square, has one hole for the checkstrap and another for the lamp switch and is fitted with the strap in place.

New neoprene type.

Both types are handed so you need a left and right of each, not just a pair.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users