9 replies to this topic

#1 Hughieboy

Hughieboy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

I've got a 1275 bored out to 1380 with a stage 4 head. At the moment it is running with twin misutu bike carbs but hey are too unreliable. I'm looking to change and wonder which would be the best option - single 12/4" SU, Twin SU's or weber 28/36? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

#2 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hif44 good all rounder carb

#3 smiffy

smiffy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Hull and East Yorkshire

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Whats the rest of your spec? Ive just pulled bike carbs off too, they gave great power and response but the guy who builds my engines wanted to try a 45 weber on it with the new spec so we will see how that goes.

I cant really see how the bike carbs can be unreliable? they are much more modern than SU's and set up well I have previously got reasonable MPG out of them with a road final drive in.

#4 Hughieboy

Hughieboy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hi Kappa, Thanks for your advice ( was supposed to read 1 3/4") What do you think of the weber option?

#5 Hughieboy

Hughieboy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hi Smiffy, I think my bike carbs must be faulty but still looking to change - just want to make the best choice.

#6 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi Kappa, Thanks for your advice ( was supposed to read 1 3/4") What do you think of the weber option?

Unfortunately I have never worked with weber carbs, so will not be able to advise on that, I have always used SU's

#7 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

One of the guys I work with had a 1380 with a Twin Choke webber on it, was awful until the second choke kicked in and then bam, gone.

He's switching to a set of twin Inch & 1/2 SUs.

#8 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,428 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

My van was built for hill climb and did have a very nice 48 webber. Will be selling this in the coming weeks with the intake manifold so keep your eyes peeled for that one going up for grabs. I will be looking at something abit more road going ie HFI44 or something I thinks. Thought about bike carbs but its alot ofvwork for something which might notvwork as well as I hoped

#9 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

I know its beating the same ole drum, but a HIF44 up to 110+ and on a road car takes some beating as do twin 1 1/2s.

#10 smiffy

smiffy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Hull and East Yorkshire

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

I had mine on the rollers at the end of last week with the weber on and its great to drive now, but not as easy to drive as it was with bike carbs (although its hard to say as theres been a lot of other changes too)

Im in 2 minds at the moment but they may be up for sale shortly, on manifold if your interested "marksmini"

They were much, much more responsive than the HIF44 they replaced and go in without cutting the bulkhead, which was a big plus at the time.
On a road car though, a single HIF 44 does take some beating though I guess.

Each is fit for purpose I suppose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users