58 replies to this topic

#1 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Given the fun I have had with my mini over the last 2 years competing in autosolo for such a low cost, I thought I would try and spread the word of this relatively new form of Motorsport, that is accessible to anyone with £30 quid in their pocket and the desire to have fun in their car (of the driving kind).

For those of you that have not heard of autosolo, it is a forward direction only time trial around a coned course. The usual format is to be scrutineered, sign on and then the fun begins. At sign on you will be given a course map similar to the below.

Posted Image

You then get to walk the course to get your bearings and then have 3 timed runs, with the top 2 counting. There are usually 4 different courses during the day, which range from 40 s to 120 s depending on the venue. The Lowest combined time over the whole day wins. The venues are any open space of tarmac, so typically occur at airfields, service stations or race track car parks. The idea is to avoid hitting the cones and scenery, and so is usually non damaging, apart from tyre wear. For every cone you make contact with you incur a 5 second penalty, and if you go the wrong side of a cone you get a wrong test, which results in a time equivalent to the fastest person's time in your class + 20 s.

It is a class based event usually consisting of the below classes

A. Production saloons / estates / 4 seat coupes, up to 1400cc
B. Production saloons / estates / 4 seat coupes, 1401 to 1800cc
C. Production saloons / estates / 4 seat coupes, over 1800cc
D. Production (open and fixed roof) 2 seat sports cars
E. Low volume sports cars, kit cars suitable for road use, and others ineligible for classes A to D
occasionally with the addition of
F. Historic cars (pre 1975), up to 1700cc (Clubmans only)
G. Historic cars (pre 1975), over 1700cc (Clubmans only)

There are some technical regulations that can put you in to class E by default, such as light weight panels and not having the full internal trim, but apart from that all you need is a taxed, tested and insured car in either standard or modified form.

The only safety requirements are that the car is mechanically fit and safe for the event, so good brakes, secure wheels, seat and battery. This means no expensive safety gear, such as FIA approved roll cages, helmets, and fire proof gear, associated with most forms of Motorsport.

So to sum up this is a form of Motorsport, where you can turn up in your every day road car, have the thrill of competition for just £30 for the day and has the benefit of improving your car control skills.

If this sounds like something you would like to have a go at or want to know more check out the below for an event near you and some more info. or post a reply with any questions

http://btrda.com/AutoSolo/

There is also a taster session at Courborough sprint course on the 27 of April, where you can have a go at either autosolo or autotest for just a tenner, or come have a chat and spectate for free!

http://btrda.com/Gen...rticle_1112.php

There are also a variety of car clubs that hold evening or weekend events that are not on the national circuit. You can find your local motor club and see what is going on in your area at

http://www.gomotorsport.net/

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

Superb.....exactly what this Motorsport section is all about....getting people out there to give it a bash.

#3 miniweights

miniweights

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for posting :D Just what is needed to get this sport out there. At last a truly affordable motorsport for everyone.

#4 KRM_Simon

KRM_Simon

Previously known as 'bigsimonb'.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Just to add my experience:
I built a mini with the intention of night rallies, however having no previous experience of competitve driving autosolos were recommended to me as a fairly cheap, non-damaging, fun way of learning proper car control. So I gave it a go.

Since March 2012 when I finished the car I have done around 10 autosolos, its taken me far beyond merely learning to control the car, they are fantastic fun and great value for money at 25-30£ an event. It is very competitive but with it being grass roots everyones friendly and ready to help/offer advice when wanted/needed.

There are always a wide range of cars being used such as Kas, polos, 106s, saxos, scimitars, elises, caterhams, micras, 205s, fiestas, MR2s, MX5s and 3 series BMWs. However a mini is a great car to use due to the fantastic handling and can easily be competitive in the right hands, my mini is only a standard 1000cc engine and I have some good results in the sub 1400cc class in the clubman levels events, with 1 or two firsts and several 2nds and 3rds also a few 2nds and 3rds in the overall standings beating 1600cc 106s. Admittedly this is only usually on the tighter tests as the handling comes into its own, on more open tests more the powerful cars have more of an advantage.

This year I have started doing historic rallies which sometimes can just be large tests, however I will still be competing in the autosolos because of how much fun they are. And for the next event the 1000cc wont be a standard one, so will be trying for some class wins :)

One thing to bear in mind if you are competing regularly you will probably notice you get through your ball joints and wheel bearing abit quicker.

If anyone in the North West is interested in taking part, feel free to give me a shout and I can point you in the direction of the events and organisers.

Simon

#5 MattyC113

MattyC113

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Looks like a good laugh if you've enough good friends

#6 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Sounds great! Perhaps a Miniforum outing is required?

#7 MattyC113

MattyC113

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

2nd ^

#8 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Miniform members would be more than welcome.

As a reasonably central location and a good weekend out I would recommend the Abingdon CARnival as a potential meet.

http://www.abingdonc.../CAR-nival.html

The autosolo is on the Saturday, but there is also sprinting on the Saturday, and rally stages on the Sunday. There is free camping, so anyone coming a distance can camp over on the Friday and Saturday nights. There's also a beer tent and hot food vendors.

The autosolo course is on the airstrip at Dalton barracks, so it is ideal for novices as there are only cones to hit if it all goes wrong!

#9 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Sounds ideal! And its just the £30 on the day and you're off?

#10 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

It is one of the more popular events, so I would suggest you put in an entry before the event. Then just turn up in a road worthy car with proof of insurance. mot, V5. sign some paper work, pass scrutineering and then your off!

#11 smiffy

smiffy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Hull and East Yorkshire

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

This is the first time I have looked at autosolo, it looks pretty interesting!

Do you know of any in the yorkshire/ north east area ? I couldnt find any online?

I would really like to get involved if I can find some events quite local.

Might need to throw a car together though as I dont think the hillclimb mini would fit into those classes too well!

#12 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

For those in the East of England I'm doing an autosolo at Debden (Essex) on 28th April by West Suffolk Motor Club, 4 Minis so far on the entry list. Debden is also the venue for the next Targa rally on 19th May.

www.wsmc.co.uk

get in!!

#13 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

Have read a few articles on this. Sounds great fun and relatively cheap! Another reason to get my clubman running again. Another great topic. I am really enjoying this Motorsport section. Amazing how many minis are still competing!

#14 iTomKart

iTomKart

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

How long on average does it take to learn the course? I can't imagine one track walk being enough for me to jump in the car and get it right first time!

#15 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

on autosolos the markers (usually cones with another one on the floor indicating which way to go round) are numbered or, sometimes, indicated with letters in alphabeticl order.

I don't have a lot of experience in autosolos, this will be my first whole events as last year I did 'only' half a day taster during Motorsport Week, basically marshaling in the morning and doing the tests in the afternoon.

A diagram of the test is given to you at the beginning of the day and they give you some time to walk the test. It seems easy when you're walking but once you're in the car at speed and even with the markers being numbered (or lettered!) it's not that easy... sometimes it feels like you're in a sea of cones!

Autosolos are definitely not my favourite type of event but I think it's a good way of supporting your club plus, at least, in our area there's a big social side to it... mind I've found that on every event I've done so far!

I'll report back on how it went for me at the WSMC Debden autosolo after Sunday :highfive:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users