#1 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hey, I have a couple of questions,

I have been planning an engine conversion for a while just for the sheer fact the a-series is mighty expensive to tune and an engine that out of the box is running lots of power is very tempting. I have been offered a complete b16a2 and g/box plus the entire loom for £400, one does this sound like a decent price its a 170k engine so will be rebuilt by myself as necessary before going in (how much to rebuild them roughly), I would be looking to do my own subframe or allspeed one possibly if it saves a lot of work.

Intakes I have seen need to be cut and 45deg elbows used to avoid bulkhead mods, I see that as a complete bodge due to it being less than efficient so is there a intake manifold that is actually useable with a mini that doesnt involve modifying the bulkhead?

Inner wings, do they have to be chopped at the damper mount forwards ( not seen a conversion in real life yet) as I would want to modify them so they are still there just further out from the middle, realistic idea?

Thanks
Alex

#2 johny:)

johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi with the engine Hondas are allways heigh mileage but they are genraly bullet proof engines if there looked after correctly although they do smoke in tec it's just a honda thing

As for a subframe and modefiying the body shell you have to be prepaired for the worst these engines are mighty teight in a mini and you need all the space you can get to allow clearance for the engine to move and for you to work on it because belive me they will break I think you will have to cut the inner wings as far back as they will go depending how far back your engine is going if your going to use an extended front it can sit further forword giving you more room

With a subframe it's your choise weather you won't to buy one or make one its all about how much time and skill you have also money lmao.
All speed frames are good but the same as any kit they are expensive I wish I built my own frame but my mini tec kit made life so much easyer as it will fit under a standard mini bonnet easy enogh hope this helps and welcome to the honda world

John

#3 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hello Alex -B

£400 quid is quite a good price, just depends on what life the engine has had, mine was apparently on 100k and it's fine. No idea how much a rebuild would cost, all depends on what spec you want. If you want some bed time reading then get this:

http://www.amazon.co... honda b-series

I aim to rebuild an engine at some point in the near future and this tells you everything you need to know.

Do you have an email address? I can email you a couple of PDF files to help you with any queries

Kieran

Edited by KieranB, 22 April 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#4 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yeah I have heard they are bullet proof and it does smoke on vtec, but I would be looking to rebuild it as I dont want to put it in then find it needs rebuilding so has to come back out,

I wont be using an extended front as I want it as stock as possible, probably go for a steel removable front so I still have some crash protection if needed, and I am currently at uni doing motorsport engineering and I work so I literally dont have the time to make my own subframe so I would probably get one as it takes a lot of the headaches out,

and yeah I will get that as I am also doing a project for uni on engine swaps inc vtec so that will help! and I will pm my email across to you!

Thanks
Alex

#5 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

You either modify the bulkhead or you modify the inlet simple. Unfortunately there is no inlet as far as I'm aware that fits without mods to the bulkhead.

If you don't want elbows on the manifold you could have it cut and rewelded

Posted Image

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 24 April 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#6 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

At 400 quid id be tempted to buy a slightly lower miles one for a couple hundred more, not that it matters if your going to rebuild it but after the time and money taken to rebuild it you may be better of just spending a little bit more, try and aim for an obd1 motor if you plan on tuning it in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users