2 replies to this topic

#1 Si-The-Man

Si-The-Man

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi, I am a newbie on this forum but have had my mini for 5 years, slowly doing the suspension, brakes and working my way through all the breakdowns that come with buying an old car as my first and only transport. Things were looking good but an mot visit after 18 months of mechanical work turned out to be a disaster. A small amount of visiable floor pan rot has uncovered so much filler and previous bodges that it has turned into a weld- a- fon. New complete floor pans, cross member, door bins, door shut, front panel, valances, rear corner etc, all going wrong.

Any way trying to look on the bright side this should give another decade of life to my Clubby. When my car returns with the supersound floor I plan to paint the inside and it seems a good time to fit a cage (this was always the long term plan).

Hence my question, family Mini's in the past swore by safety devices and aley bars. But as a young timer these seem very expensive (no sign of aley bars). I want a full cage but there seems such a variation in price, some look like they are for show. Long term I would like to do some auto tests (non scruitineered stuff). Can any one help cut through the mine field of what is good and cheap, what is bad and cheap?, or just point me in the right direction please.

#2 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Just my personal opinion, but if I was going to fit a cage, then it would have to be at least MSA approved - so I guess that would limit you to probably Safety Devices or Roll Centre. I couldn't see a point in fitting a cage that wasn't suitable for any type of motorsport, even if you weren't intending to compete in anything other than autotests to start with (especially as you don't need a cage in autotests). We've got a SD cage in ours that was fitted before we bought it so I can't say how easy it was to fit, but it came out OK when we also had to do the inevitable welding to the floor!

See also the earlier thread on here about fitting a cage with the rear companion bins in...!!

Keith

#3 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hi. 

As for non scrutineered autotests....are you sure?? They should all be scrutineered to some extent....simple stuff like making sure your battery is secure, steering is ok, seat are bolted down, and carb has return springs.  Even a club level even will require these things.

Cages....Safety devices are good and easy (ish) to fit...once you've got the hang of it.  Make sure you weld the plates in to support the cage otherwise no real point having the cage.

As keith said...check out the other post in the motorsport section. I've put in a link to my build and it shows how to fit a SD rear cage.

Good luck and have fun on those autotests!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users