#1 nz_seamless

nz_seamless

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hi all 

I am about to build up a fairly standard 100hp 1380 motor, I'm in NZ where A+ blocks are a little harder to find but I now have one in my possession. It arrived yesterday. Ribs on the front tell me it's A+ and I will assume the gearbox is as well, though I've never been inside one before so appreciate a good way to ID that once I break this down.

However I was sort of expecting it to be a verto clutch and it isn't, it's pre. Now that's fine because I have dealt with the pre verto clutches enough to know what I want there, but since I am ordering what appears to be half the minispares catalogue anyway I'm wondering if I should be getting a verto setup. If I go pre then obviously I will be getting a sensibly lightened flywheel and backplate, an uprated diaphragm etc; that's a well trodden path.

So the question is, if you had nothing and could choose to buy a full pre-verto setup or a full verto setup which would you choose.

This car is my fun car, it isn't my daily nor am I going rallying. If verto feels better and offers no performance degradation then it feels right, if it costs me acceleration then it's out.

Also for people who know verto, how many pieces are there. I understand it as a flywheel like this one and an integrated diaphragm/backplate like this one and a pressure plate. Is that it, just three pieces? The weights on minispares make it sound lighter than a lightened diaphragm based one and that seems wrong.

Also on another tangent now. Would you fit a straight cut drop gear to get the roller bearing kit like this?

I have had issues with drop gears before and I am very attracted to the idea of replacing what's there with a roller bearing based solution but I am leery of the noise. I've watched videos on youtube which range from:

I would drive this all day no worries   to

I would drive this for a while and love it; but would get over it fast   to

Why did I make my mini sound like a circular saw.

The collected wisdom of the forums search seems to be, you get what you pay for and straight cut drop gears will be even more noisy the cheaper they are and the less "finish" in the machining. Spend more with MED for less noise, spend less with MS for more noise...

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Depends what you intend doing with the car?

The verto clutch is more tolerent and up to town driving and the springs in the plate smooth out  the drive take up and general driving but can handle a good bit of power

The standard non verto clutch has the option of a lot more uprated diaphrams like the Orange Fast Road/Rally spec and Grey race diaphram, and in my opinion if you going to be driving it hard or a bit of hillclimp and sprint work go for the standard one

Edited by KernowCooper, 19 June 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#3 nz_seamless

nz_seamless

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the response. Thought more people would have an opinion on this one. Think I will go the traditional pathway with a pre-verto setup.

The car is just a fast road plaything, not going to be hillclimbed.

edit: and now I know why my engine didn't come with verto clutch as you would expect for an A+ motor. My gearbox casting number is DAM 2886 which is an A+ casting with A+ sized (larger) idler bearing but the rest of the kit is all pre A+. These were made during the transition from pre to verto.

Edited by nz_seamless, 23 June 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#4 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Just to add my experience I've got an AP racing clutch plate with MED lightweight verto flywheel, standard back plate. Its done a season of autotesting and Autosolo and around 7000 road miles, as its my daily drive. Its got 100 hp running through it and touch wood I've had no issues whats so ever.  The take up isn't harsh even with there being no springs on the clutch plate.

#5 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

non verto is good for NA tuned engines as you can get the flywheels light,

the verto, although a better design can't be got anywhere as near as light,

the main advntages of the verto are they are smoother, and put less stress on the thrust washers ( which isnt really an issue unless your running a nutter turbo engine with a really strong clutch)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users