8 replies to this topic

#1 wildwillie

wildwillie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have just got a 1966 Morris Mini minor  with engine taken out to 1340cc. Im having a bit of trouble with clutch. At normal speeds it engages fine and doesn't slip. But when I drive it fast and and at high rev's, change gear, it takes a short while for the clutch to fully engage. I suspect the clutch is slipping or isnt engaging quickly enough. 

Is this the clutch slipping or is it something else.

Also if it is the clutch slipping, and needs a new clutch plate, is it a major job to change?

Thanks in advance.

#2 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

More likely that the big red seal on the crank is leaking oil.

What mileage is the engine, what oil are you using and is there any oil leaking from the jigle pin below the clutch wok?

#3 wildwillie

wildwillie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

On the clock is indicated around 32000 but pretty sure this isn't genuine at all. no leaking as far as I can see. 

Ended up completely losing the clutch on the weekend. Clutch wouldnt open far enough for me to put the car in gear but managed to get it working after pumping the pedal. But the clutch would go repeatedly. 

not sure of what the issue is now?

#4 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Clutch slipping and the fact you have no clutch pedal are two different problems, fill up clutch master cylinder and bleed the slave cylinder, sounds like the seals are gone and leaking fluid

#5 wildwillie

wildwillie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yeah realised they would be. Could be that as it would explain me having to pump the pedal to get the clutch back. But the clutch slipping would still be an issue. Haven't had a go at working on a clutch in a mini. Do you need to take the engine out?

#6 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

You can do the clutch with engine in situ, i much prefer to take engine out, each to their own..

You'll need a flywheel puller (a proper one, not the cheap pullers you can get from halfords..) and clutch seal tool.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Measure the linear movement at the top of the clutch arm. If it is less than 0.5" you have a hydraulic problem - either slave or master cylinder.

If it moves 0.5" or more it is either a linkage wear issue or a worn clutch driven plate.

#8 wildwillie

wildwillie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the help, think its the master cylinder as I could see the clutch arm had barely any movement when the clutch pedal was down. Trued to bleed the system but i think the fluid keeps leaking past the seals.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

If the fluid is leaking down the clutch pedal arm onto the carpet it's definitely the master cylinder. If not, try the slave cylinder first. It could be the master cylinder. Best to change the slave as that's not expensive and it that doesn't work change the master - a much more difficult job.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users