#1 trumpete

trumpete

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:34 AM

Hi All,
I am planning on rebuilding a mini and I want more power then my current 1275cc engine. I have been considering the V-tech but I don't know if I want to get the zcars kit which would make it rear wheel drive or if I want to put the v-tech in front which would keep it more original and front wheel drive. I have only driven original minis and have never driven a V-tech front or rear wheel drive mini.
I basically want a fast rally mini that will handle turns great, that I can race on the track and can drive on the road.

I could also just swap my 1275cc for a supercharged 1380cc which would about double the bhp.

I want to start this project as soon as possible but I want to hear what you all think I should do. Thanks

#2 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:28 AM

It all depends what you are trying to achieve. I have a VTEC mini with 234 bhp, with the engine in the front, and its great. It will dump all over most things on the road, but if you take it to a drag strip, it will get beaten by anything rear wheel drive....

Putting the engine in the front keeps the car looking fairly original, although you will most probably need to either extend the front end, or have a Clubman front end... Putting it in the rear, using the Z cars frame, is a massive modification, and would be more impractical for day to day driving, but it will be quicker....

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:09 AM

VTEC!! Its VTEC, VTEC, VTEC!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry. :errr: ;D

Have you got a budget for this? Do you know the prices for Z Cars?

Z-Cars are also developing a front engined Vtec, but last time I spoke to them they were only using Clubman fronts.

#4 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:18 AM

either way is expensive, but VTEC is very reliable.

i prefer mid-mounted (owning a very very rare mini based kit car), but with front engine at least you have a back seat, but from reading what you have put, then you would be putting cage in, so thats not an issue is it.

down to what you think really

i would go for a Mini based kit car with engine mid mounted, lol

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:46 AM

Funny you say that Smudger! Whats the latest with the Mozzys?? You still making them?

#6 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

Have you thought about VTEC in the front but rear wheel drive?

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

I don't think that would make a great combination, you'd have not much weight over the wheels that are putting all the power down to the ground.

#8 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

From what I hear a vtec in the rear of a mini is a little heavy. As has been said having a rear engine would make it great on the strip though, but for track I would keep to front engine.

#9 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:20 PM

yeah the vtecs are heavy lumps. You'd be better going for a D16A9 which is twin cam 16c non vtec as they are a lt lighter and ruhmor has it that they love forced induction :dozing:

#10 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

That is one hell of a lump to have in a mini whatever end it is fitted in!!!

Posted Image

cheers

if had to choose though i would hav it at the back so at least i havnt got to run mega wide track and long nose etc

#11 trumpete

trumpete

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

So I have decided to put the Vtech in the front. I hear many horror stories about how hard it is to put a Vtech in the front of a mini. Is there a kit available for the Vtech to be put in the front?? Did you have trouble with your mini when you put it in the front?? Which Vtech engine is the best one to use and fits the best? and I am not putting this in a clubman so how did you extend the front to fit the engine?? Thanks for your help with this

#12 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

There was a mini mag cover car not so long ago that managed to fit a B16A2? engine in the front without extending the front end. although reading the artical they had to 'slightly modify' the stearing rack.

Allspeed also do a front subframe that'll fit a VTEC in a standard roundnose.

www.allspeedengineering.com

And 16vmini shop do one too

www.16vminishop.co.uk

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:59 PM

So I have decided to put the Vtech in the front. I hear many horror stories about how hard it is to put a Vtech in the front of a mini. Is there a kit available for the Vtech to be put in the front?? Did you have trouble with your mini when you put it in the front?? Which Vtech engine is the best one to use and fits the best? and I am not putting this in a clubman so how did you extend the front to fit the engine?? Thanks for your help with this

Go to www.16vminiclub.com and do LOTS of searching and reading. Don't ask those questions til you've done the searching and asking though!

#14 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

I agree with Jammy have a good search on there.... most of the info you need will be there!!

and a quick note its a VTEC engine not V-Tech :dozing:

#15 RetroBwoi

RetroBwoi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

V-tecs are good but why dont u look closer to home, a 2.0 Vauxall Red top is almost as good and a bit cheaper, my mate got a 2.0 8 valve and it was fast as *melon* so i done one better than him with the red top. it up to you though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users