#1 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

Hi guys.

I bought a seperate rev counter to add to my mini. Well i new one anyway, so i have the wires. I have a bullet like connector thing(?) and 2 wires, a black and a red. I put the bullet type thing on the place where im guessing it goes, on the stumpy thing. But i dont know where the other 2 wires go. can you guys help me please? :dozing:

#2 marsden

marsden

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Local Club: www.sheffcruise.co.uk

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

from what i remember when i had my dash off is there should be 2 green wires???? and these fasten to the flat blade type thing below the bullet connecter using a spade conector

#3 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:53 PM

from what i remember when i had my dash off is there should be 2 green wires???? and these fasten to the flat blade type thing below the bullet connecter using a spade conector

Ohh i thought that was for the bulb.. Things might work out better now! yay thanks man

#4 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:40 PM

Hey guys, still cant get this to work. So i drew a little picture of the back of the rev counter. Maybe someone can identify where the wires should go etc!! :lol:

The red and black wires where connected to the previous rev counter... but i dont know where on it..
the wire with the rectangle on the end (bullet like connector) was with the wires going to the speedo.

the 2 yellow dots on the back look like something should be connected to them, the grey dot is the screw that i think holds it all together!
Any help will be much appreciated!! thanks! :P

Attached Files

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:54 PM

I'm sorry, I'm just not getting any of this! You have a new rev counter. (that much I got). where did the wiring come from? is it factory? what rev counter did you have before? what do you have now? oh, and what year car?

#6 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:38 AM

Ok ok. The 2 wires (black and red) come from the coil thingy mabob. And the bullet like thing is within the loom along with the cable block that goes in the back off the other 2 dials. It used to have a jaeger(?) rev counter in it, but i didnt like the chrome surround. The new one is an austin one. White plastic kinda thing.

85 mayfair it be!

Im the worst at explaining stuff ¬.¬

#7 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:10 PM

hehe!

what colour is the wire from the "speedo" bundle?

To my mind, you should have 4 wires. A coil - (signal), a switched positive (which I think is what's been created from the coil + side, but that's not the best place to take it from), and earth, and a light signal.

I'm guessing that the feed from the speedo bundle is the light signal, but a colour check will confirm, You already have the coil - and the switched positive. Your ground however is missing! (unless it's the wire from the speedo, in which case you don't have a light signal! :lol: )

the next problem is which goes where... to be honest, I don't have a clue! :P

#8 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

hehe!

what colour is the wire from the "speedo" bundle?

To my mind, you should have 4 wires. A coil - (signal), a switched positive (which I think is what's been created from the coil + side, but that's not the best place to take it from), and earth, and a light signal.

I'm guessing that the feed from the speedo bundle is the light signal, but a colour check will confirm, You already have the coil - and the switched positive. Your ground however is missing! (unless it's the wire from the speedo, in which case you don't have a light signal! :lol: )

the next problem is which goes where... to be honest, I don't have a clue! :P

From the bundle its a black and white wire. I have the lightbulb one! i forgot to mention it though..

#9 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

Id just produce my own wires from the rev counter!

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

What tacho is this? Some older designs are very different and hard to wire in. Almost any BMC tacho from before '76 will mean you have to redesign your cars ignition system layout entirely.

Edited by Dan, 20 May 2006 - 05:21 PM.

#11 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

What tacho is this? Some older designs are very different and hard to wire in. Almost any BMC tacho from before '76 will mean you have to redesign your cars ignition system layout entirely.

Its pretty much the same as this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#12 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

Rev counter needs four wires

An ignition live - almost certainly the red wire
An earth - almost certainly the black wire
Feed from negative connection on the coil
Live feed from the dash lights somewhere for illumination

Trial and error...............connect the red and black up and then with the engine running connect each of the other two in turn to the -ve side of the coil and one should make it work !!!! :lol:

#13 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

i have no idea what the two wires are that come from the coil then. the white/black one sounds like the coil feed (acc to the haynes)

I'd dump the two from the coil as they *should* be just unnecessary. Take a new ignition + from the fuse box (top/no.1/2 fuse), and as the line from the speedo bundle appears to be the tacho signal, you'll still need a ground. That should be all 4 wires you need accounted for, but as for where they go on the unit.....?

Can you get a decent hi-res-ish pic of the back of it?

#14 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

My dear friend fixed it for me! But thanks to everyone else who posted!! :thumbsup:

#15 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:35 PM

Clayman... you can't just end it like that!

What did your friend do? Let us know so that in the future we'll all know.

I would have posted this weekend but the link I wanted was on my office PC. From what I remembered (and may be correct for your tach) the bullet connector next to the spade connector should have been for the tach pulse signal (black/white wire from coil (-)), the spade connector next to the bullet should have been for switched 12V. Since the link you posted the picture for shows a plastic case, one of the other two connections was probably a ground/earth point and the remaining one is probably for illumination.
See: http://www2.soc.lu.s...sjebro/tips.htm

What did your friend find or do?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users