Photo
- - - - -

Vtec Conversion Solely As A Decent Road Car?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 han_solo

han_solo

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi there,

I know most people go for such conversions for their power and tracking their cars.

Would it be possible to go for a 'mild' conversion just for the following reasons:

1. reliability of a honda engine

2. smoothness of a 5 speed gearbox

3. fuel economy of a 'highish' bhp engine

...basically am after a medium performance car but a lot more refined making it more pleasurable to drive on a daily basis.

Also, i have no idea about cars so prob would need to get someone pro to do it for me.. 20k?? :S

Any thoughts welcome?

#2 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Yes completely possible:). Be a nice car to drive and even at standard tune it will be a bit of a beast:). Not horrible to drive, just quick because it's so light!

20k would get you a very nice mini built! Depends on what you start with though. If you havnt already got a mini, then get the best looking, rust free one you can. Be easier for who ever to do the conversion, be neater in the end and no rust!

For the conversion alone and no purchase of the mini or Honda blah blah I rekon a few thousand would cover the conversion. 6-8?

#3 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

You can buy a roll in / roll out conversion for about £6-7k. Hand them your mini and they hand it back done. Quality varies of course.

Doing it yourself, providing you aren't constrained by time and are skilled with fabrication you could have the whole job done under £1k including the donor car.

The main thing to remember here is that a "medium performance car" weighs in about 1500kg and has circa 200bhp, a mini with an engine conversion weights about 600kg. So your effective power is doubled, very roughly.

The main thing that will affect your fuel economy and performance (aside from your right foot) will be the final drive and gearing. Maybe valvers opt for a diesel gearbox because of the more suitable ratio for dinky small wheels.

Honda engines will run forever and then a bit longer.

20k will get you a rear engine K20 Zcar, space framed and set up with north of 250bhp. It will be an animal, but easily daily drivable... Once you get used to it ;-)

Personally, if I was going to drop 20k on a car it would be on something like this:

GT86-1_2423337b.jpg

:P
(If I didn't already have something like this)

Edited by Skortchio, 15 September 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#4 han_solo

han_solo

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

lol... very nice Skortchio :P

apologies.. but that 20k fig was pulled out of thin air.. didn't mean to suggest that it's my budget :P  Only wanted to see if people did vtec conversions without tracking in mind and aimed for a more modern and more reliable mini that's all :)

Sounds quite expensive.. i may get myself something half decent for now and when funds allow and (hopefully) when i get access to a double garage.. i'll look into building something myself... i know absolutely zilch so would probably take me at least 5 years! (... i know i know.. probably being too optimistic here :P)

#5 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

This is what I'm planning on doing with mine. Once I've got it running and on the road I will be putting in loads of luxuries like sound deadening and carpets lol!!

#6 han_solo

han_solo

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

me too! :)

Really want a nice and powerful yet comfy mini to drive.. dream car!! :P

#7 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

If you get a frame thats more metro based (wider track) you get a more original honda gearing (13"-14"+ wheels) so making the gearing more like the original which just means super smooth changes and it needing gear changing/running just like a normal car

Getting a frame with a narrower than metro track (mini) means you need to start chasing final drives or getting a custom one made (depending on engine choice D or B etc) especially if your looking for a near to as mini look, but any wheel size smaller than the original will not be a smooth change or smoother to drive at lower speed, might not be much in the rolling circumference between say a 12" and 13" wheel but you soon realise it does if you get the gearing wrong

Either way you still got the mini suspension to deal with - it can only be so smooth

But to use it as a reliable, 5 speed, good long distance comfortable runner with good mpg (no no vtec!) with power on tap (yes yes vtec!) on a day to day basis aint an issue, alot of people do

Basically, build it to how you want to use it

#8 Harrison541

Harrison541

A bowl of prawns, avocado and cress?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

If what you're looking for is a reliable engine with a 5 speed box, don't overlook the Honda D series. They're still very quick just not as mental as a B series VTEC, but they are better than you would think, considering how few people use them.

#9 Retro_1985

Retro_1985

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: Chichester Mini Club

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

i have a honda D-series in my mini, cant fault it... good reliable power and economy :) 

#10 Chris Jones

Chris Jones

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Have a look on fleaBay etc for cars that have already been converted if you're doing it on a budget. There was a post in the Mini Chat section last week where a very tidy VTEC had gone for just under 4K. Unless you were wanting to have some fun and get away from the missus for a while by doing it yourself....

#11 Chris Jones

Chris Jones

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Oh and what are those GT86's like? On paper it looks as though they should have turbo'd it  :P

#12 Moggyton

Moggyton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Local Club: Stone mini club

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

20k will get you 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users