4 replies to this topic

#1 Mini30

Mini30

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 10:33 PM

where will i be able to find pre-painted body coloured(colored) wheel arches to match the color of my mini?

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 10 December 2003 - 05:57 PM

What kind of arches and what colour?

They only come in their gell coat or plastic colour normaly grey, black or white.

Your best bet is to buy a couple of cans of spray paint and do them yourself. Dont panic if you've never done it before, you can't really go wrong on arches because they are so small.

The best way to do it is to warm the can slightly in some warm (not hot) water, sand the surface of the arch and spray light coats over it, building it up gradualy until you get the desired finnished effect.

Good luck... :)

#3 Mini30

Mini30

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:41 PM

would the newer style sport 500 arches fit mine without redrilling? in new to england so i dont know where i would get the paint that matches my car?

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 11:38 PM

This depends on what sort of wheels/tryes your running, the sport 500 arches were designed for 13" wheels so you'll have to trim the front arches back and drill some holes in the wings, this is ok as long as you dont mind hacking your car apart, tho the screws that hold the arches are hidded from sight. The rear arches need no modding.

You can get paint from most motor factors, you'll need the paint code or name to get a match, this is found on the plate riveted to the inside of the drivers side wing in the engine bay. Be warned tho, this is only usable if the car is the original colour!! If it isnt, then you going to have to take a trip to your local paint suppliers and do some colour card matches.

If you can post a pic of your mini up here so I can take a look, then I will be able to tell you what you'll have to do to fit your arches and what other options you may have...

#5 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 01:03 AM

I dont know if this will help, but i found some drawings for you for fitting sports pack arches...

Front arch modifications for 13-inch wheel fitment

First
job is to jack vehicle up, place it securely on axle stands, remove wheels/tyres,
arch extensions if fitted and front bumper, then create the new arch profile.
Doing this free hand is fine for the artistic/experienced. For those not in
either category, its advisable to make templates out of thin card or brown paper
or such. Start just ahead of the arch peak, and use a gentle curve that passes
through the foremost and lowest original plastic arch retaining rivet hole.
If not, measure in 1.25-inches from the arch line at bumper platform curve level.

Posted Image

Once
you're happy with your profile, transfer this to the arch itself by taping the
template in place and drawing round it. Remove template and flatten the original
arch lip using a hammer and dolly preferably (gives a better finish), or Vise
grips if not. Now draw a line free hand or stick a strip of 0.50-inch/13mm wide
masking tape along the arch side of you new arch profile.

Posted Image

The section of arch outside this second line needs removing by cutting it away with either a suitable hacksaw or sheet metal cutters. Which ever, be VERY careful not to cut yourself on the very sharp edges. Wearing thick gardening gloves, welder's gloves, or such will help here.

Posted Image

Reform the arch lip along the new profile line again using hammer and dolly for a neat finish, or vise grips. Once again being very careful not to cut yourself. It isn't essential to re-form this lip, but it adds a great deal of stiffness to the panel so is highly recommended. If you really don't want to re-form the lip, then the arch needs cutting along your first, new arch profile line. Once completed, grind/file the sharp edge off the new arch profile you've formed. Before going any further, fit the new wheels/tyres, lower the car onto it's
wheels, and turn the wheels lock to lock to ensure clearance. It's easier to
deal with any extra trimming now before the job's finished off. Treat the cut
metal area with at least something to stop it rusting, if not re-painting it
properly.

Posted Image

The only way to know exactly how wide the arch extensions you're going to need should
be is to fit the wheels/tyres, and measure how far they stick out from the bodywork.
Mini Spares Centre/Mini Mania have catalogues that not only show what the arches
look like fitted to a car, but also their fitted dimensions. Others, you'll
just have to ask.

Posted Image

Don't forget to do something about existing arch extension holes if there are any.
Either by using an arch extension that covers them up, or filling them in. The
latter could be difficult/expensive as to do the job properly will require filling
the holes in, then re-painting.

Posted Image

If you want to read more on the subject of 13" wheel fitmant, check out This Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users