74 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Well the mini bug has been wearing off me for a while now. I do love my mini its great fun, but just not as fast as I want it to be and I don't want to spend thousands more on it to turbo it or do an engine conversion. 

So i'm considering my options. I'm 23 now, got some NCB built up so can insure a decent hot hatch now without getting bent over. I have my mini and my daily run about is a 51 plate corsa C SXi. 

I'm hoping I could raise around £5000 by selling both cars. Leaving me with £4000 to buy a new car and £1000 for insurance. 

Looks like for my money I could get an nice clean example of either a Honda Civic Type R or a Renault Sport Clio 182. 

I could go for a cheaper slightly higher mileage model of either and save myself around £1000 which I could spend on a thorough service and some mods instead, or invest in a lower mileage newer model with more service history. 

I really like the idea of the Ford Focus ST, its a more grown up car I feel and the 2.5 litre volvo engine is just a beast - With 300bhp after a remap and an exhaust change... However they are a bit more money, around £5000-£5500 for a nice one. I could raise this money but not sure the ST is £2000 more fun than something like a Type R or 182 Clio. 

What are peoples thoughts and what would my other options be? 

I would love something turbo powered, just because of the future power potential really and would like to keep a hatchback shape so I can get my mountain bike in the back of it. My mate has a Type R and its great fun and the VTEC is sweet but it just doesn't provide that raw kick in the back and surge of power that a turbo engine would with more torque. 

Decisions decisons

#2 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Heres a few examples i've found of each model.

Clios are cheapest, probably the most fun and best handling cars but the cheapo interior I feel lets them down a bit:

http://www.autotrade...333fe?logcode=p

A similar level Type are seems to command about £500-£700 more, even for an older model

http://www.autotrade...ype r?logcode=p

And the ST another really, but like I say I could raise this money if I really wanted to spend this much. However i'd rather spend less and have the money to spend on insurance/servicin/mods

http://www.autotrade...ds/ST?logcode=p

PS: You'll notice I like black cars :)

Edited by mike., 08 October 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#3 TupmanR

TupmanR

Just On Tickover

• Traders
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local Club: West Of England Mini Club

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Lupo Gti is still in your price range, however not as quick as above...

Also as much as i hate to say it.... You could get a Mk1 Bini Cooper S for that money.... :shy:  (Even a JCW if you look hard) A world beater in the right hands..

#4 TupmanR

TupmanR

Just On Tickover

• Traders
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Also forgot about the ultimate wolf in sheeps clothing.. and faster than the above

Toyota Corolla T-Sport

http://www.autotrade.../1500?logcode=p

They also make a supercharged version!

http://www.autotrade.../1500?logcode=p

This is my pick!

#5 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

EP3 is quick with good handling and fun but if you want the power you can' beat the ST with its T5 engine. Throw a new exhaust on it and you will be laughing.

#6 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Lupo gti is a bit small really. Although I do really like them, they're a bit slow compared to the above like you say, also they're interiors are as bad if not worse that the clios. 

I hadn't thought about a Bini... hmmm... don't think I could bring myself to do it though. The only Bini i'd drive is a JCW and even then I still think they're a bit of a girls cars really - No offence to anybody whos got one!

#7 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Lupo Gti is still in your price range, however not as quick as above...

Also as much as i hate to say it.... You could get a Mk1 Bini Cooper S for that money.... :shy:  (Even a JCW if you look hard) A world beater in the right hands..

Same thought passed through my head, cracking car (haters give me 5 minutes whilst i get my body armour on so you can do your worst, thanks)

Renault Clio's tend to fall apart, but if your willing to uprate a few parts, they are good fun.

#8 TupmanR

TupmanR

Just On Tickover

• Traders
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

Mike, my money would be on the Corolla!

The Civic is everywhere as are the ST's.....

The Clio is only good if your happy with constant servicing and the 'plastic' feel to drive.

This one is a beauty!

http://www.autotrade...q28qx?logcode=p

#9 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Civic type r

#10 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Or new mini

#11 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

An R53 is horrifically expensive to run ( IE tax and petrol consumption ) but are a great drivers car.  However, dont rule out the R56 S MINI. With a remap and a JCW backbox they are quite quick with 210+ bhp after a map and exhaust mod.

The downside is that some have suffered from chain tensioner issues and some say they are not as good as the R53. A Clio will be worth about £5 in a few years, have a very plastic feel to them. The St is a good car and do sound awesome with an aftermarket exhaust.

#12 minimaxie

minimaxie

• Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

What about a Renault Twingo 133 Cup Sport?

http://www.autotrade...s/133?logcode=p

Heard really good things about these, as like most French Hot Hatches. They're nimble, pokey, and seem like good fun to drive. If it were me though, I would be getting the Gordini version.

Or what about a Mk6 Fiesta ST? I'm currently looking at them for my next car

Edited by minimaxie, 08 October 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#13 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Fiesta ST are soooo boring. Hence why I bought a VXR, and that's not exactly an amazingly fun car. Plus STs have more chav drivers

#14 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

What about toyota starlet or glanza?
Spend a few quid and they are animals! And you have jap reliability

#15 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

My friend that I'm living with at the moment, bought himself a 54 plate civic type r ep3 the other weekend, fast car, corners well, sounds awesome on vtec and has a nice kick when it gets onto vtec, but it is very juicy on petrol, because he drives it like he stole it ALL the time, he's only getting 15-20mpg.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users