21 replies to this topic

#1 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hi all, I'm trying to find somewhere in the Yorkshire area where I can take the mini and safely explore the limits of grip, so that if I do get a bit too close to the limit on track I'm a bit more prepared. All I really need is reasonably sized flat open area of tarmac (or maybe concrete, I've got some old tyres I can sacrifice) where I can mark out a corner and then push the car until it slides, I especially want to get used to when to keep my foot in and how the ATB diff behaves once the car loses grip.

I should also say it needs to be reasonably cheap.

#2 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

not being cocky i just like this website :P theres some on there i dont know which is best so ill let you chose. 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...ys in yorkshire

#3 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

not being cocky i just like this website :P theres some on there i dont know which is best so ill let you chose. 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...ys in yorkshire

:) I like that.

I've done quite a few track days, and what I'm after is something a bit different, as I want to deliberately push the car beyond the limit, which is not what I'd do on a track day or a sprint. If I drove the way I plan to for this exercise on a track day I would expect to be sent home. The best I've found so far is places like Elvington, and I only need a fraction of the space there is there, and at a fraction of the cost.

#4 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

What you want is a hoonary day? I started a post very similar to this a few weeks ago. There doesn't seem to be anywhere really short of renting a track privatly for a day but this would be rather pricy!

#5 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Speak really nicely to Jeremy?

#6 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

What you want is a hoonary day?

Yes, basically :) But in my defence I'd say it was hoonary with a purpose, so that if I ever end up sideways for real I do the right thing. It happened to me once a few years ago at Oulton Park, I lost the back on the way in to Druids, caught it ok, but because I'd lifted off all the grip came back while I still had opposite lock on and I just turned hard left straight into the gravel. If it had been a barrier it would have been nasty.

#7 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Speak really nicely to Jeremy?

If I ever met the man my first words would be "your driving is sh*t". But he probably has a lot more experience being sideways that I do.

#8 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

Elvington Airfield is up your neck of the woods isn't it?

#9 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

If you want cheap, sideways and don't mind travelling to Bolton and Blackburn area there a few autosolos up that way that are on gravely largish car parks, which would allow you to really put the ATB through its paces and learn how your car handles.

#10 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Asda car park at midnight is always good.

Yeh....if you want to attract plod....ha ha!

#11 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

It is, yeah, might be a case of finding a few others and renting it for the afternoon. Same goes for this place, just found this today as well, never knew it existed but from googling for info on it people rent it for cheap and cheerful track days: http://www.yorkshire...uk/circuit-hire

#12 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

If you want cheap, sideways and don't mind travelling to Bolton and Blackburn area there a few autosolos up that way that are on gravely largish car parks, which would allow you to really put the ATB through its paces and learn how your car handles.

Yeah, I looked at one of the Ilkley & District autosolos last year, they look fun but I think they'd also prefer me to be pretty much under control, my plan is to find somewhere where I can really go up to and beyond the limit, so that if it ever happens for real it's not the first time and I'll have a bit more clue what to do.

#13 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

It is, yeah, might be a case of finding a few others and renting it for the afternoon. Same goes for this place, just found this today as well, never knew it existed but from googling for info on it people rent it for cheap and cheerful track days: http://www.yorkshire...uk/circuit-hire

I think I came across that place a few years back as there was a company running 'handling days' there I think. Essentially a track day of sorts but more geared to beginners i think....in all honesty it was that place i was looking for when I found Elvington via google.

Might be worth finding a few others because the whole TMF track day idea has gone quiet???

#14 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

I think I came across that place a few years back as there was a company running 'handling days' there I think. Essentially a track day of sorts but more geared to beginners i think....in all honesty it was that place i was looking for when I found Elvington via google.

Might be worth finding a few others because the whole TMF track day idea has gone quiet???

well if its in yorkshire and only costs for petrol im in :)

#15 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

I've given Yorkshire Autodrome a ring and someone is going to get back to me, so we'll see. Looks like people use it for private testing and straightliners use it for RWYB drag events as well.

Edited by adamg1380, 22 November 2013 - 12:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users