Photo
- - - - -

Fitting Cibie Bi- Iode Twin H1S Into Mini?

electrical

Best Answer Orange-Phantom , 02 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've got a pair of them on my car.

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/spicey245/Mini/mini3_zps38ccd387.jpg
%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/spicey245/Mini/phoca_thumb_l_wallpaper_project45_zpsac7e5da9.jpg

Light output is excellent to say the least they also look great and very unique.  The extra benefit is if you don't want to fit extra spotlights you have them built into the headlights.

You should consider wiring them so the low beam stays on at the same time the high beam switches on.  The high beams point nicely straight down the road but don't light up the road directly in front of you. 

Also you may have to modify and re-wire your indicators to house your sidelights as well as your indications otherwise you may fail the UK M.O.T.  (The Cibie Biodes only house the main and high beam h1 bulbs and no sidelights).   I've modified my indicators using decent bright LED bulbs along with a custom home made circuit board to drive them so they act work like a type 1 switchback bulb.

Brand new from Mini Delta https://www.mini-del.../detail366.html a pair will set you back around £750 a pair including the import tax but plus postage (and that's in the sale) so I'd take good care of them and would highly recommend covering the lenses a decent dual layer of paint protection film to help protect the glasswork from damage. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tweeter74

tweeter74

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

Has anyone seen, or ever fitted a set of Cibie Bi-iode headlamps into a mini? they are the same as Mk1 and Porsche 911 headlamps and used for motorsport in the 60/70s?

I have a set from an old project 911R replica (cannot afford a real 911R) I was doing...and never fitted as fitted HID projectors instead.......... and wondered if it might be possible to fit into the mini, they give a really cool bug eye look not un similar to the new mini Bi Xenon...

#2 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yes, I had a Clubbie Estate with a pair fitted.  They are pretty much a straight swap for sealed beams or halogens.

At upwards of £500 a pair though (as and when they pop up on feeBay) I would be loathed to fit them and leave the car unattended in a city centre for fear of light fingered people.
It's not exactly difficult to remove a Mini headlamp unit...

#3 tweeter74

tweeter74

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yes, I had a Clubbie Estate with a pair fitted.  They are pretty much a straight swap for sealed beams or halogens.

At upwards of £500 a pair though (as and when they pop up on feeBay) I would be loathed to fit them and leave the car unattended in a city centre for fear of light fingered people.
It's not exactly difficult to remove a Mini headlamp unit...

thanks for the reply... So did they give you enough light against std?

Not too worried about theft as not intending to leave it parked anywhere dodgy! only rolling road mini days :-)

#4 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I belive these are remade in Japan by delta mini.

#5 tweeter74

tweeter74

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

I belive these are remade in Japan by delta mini.

yeah! your right mini delta, look exactly the same.. not checked the costs tho?

#6 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

I can't remember what the light output was like - I'm spoilt as I have 100w spots on my car (as I hate driving at night) and everything else seems dim by comparison.

#7 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:32 PM   Best Answer

I've got a pair of them on my car.

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/spicey245/Mini/mini3_zps38ccd387.jpg
%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/spicey245/Mini/phoca_thumb_l_wallpaper_project45_zpsac7e5da9.jpg

Light output is excellent to say the least they also look great and very unique.  The extra benefit is if you don't want to fit extra spotlights you have them built into the headlights.

You should consider wiring them so the low beam stays on at the same time the high beam switches on.  The high beams point nicely straight down the road but don't light up the road directly in front of you. 

Also you may have to modify and re-wire your indicators to house your sidelights as well as your indications otherwise you may fail the UK M.O.T.  (The Cibie Biodes only house the main and high beam h1 bulbs and no sidelights).   I've modified my indicators using decent bright LED bulbs along with a custom home made circuit board to drive them so they act work like a type 1 switchback bulb.

Brand new from Mini Delta https://www.mini-del.../detail366.html a pair will set you back around £750 a pair including the import tax but plus postage (and that's in the sale) so I'd take good care of them and would highly recommend covering the lenses a decent dual layer of paint protection film to help protect the glasswork from damage.

Edited by Orange-Phantom, 02 December 2013 - 09:35 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users