8 replies to this topic

#1 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

some of you may have seen us at the london to brighton run the other weekend with the monte carlo and the steel bodied mini v tec
we only decided to go at the last miniute and i didnt realise we needed to book weeks in advance but the organisors allowed us to park down at the bottom of the seafront where we saw lots of people
both cars ran faultlessly all the way down and back all in the pouring rain its a round trip of just short of 600 miles for us and the cars did over 30 mpg (not bad considering the performance potential of both of them)
this weekend we decided to go to cadwell park for the monte carlos first race meeting
we drove the car to the meeting just to prove a point,the car was mobbed in the pits by everyone there all keen to see it go
free practice session came and we had a sticking throttle so we came in after 1 lap fixed the problem but missed qualifying,the clerk of the course took pity on us and said "you can start at the back of the grid"
nothing like a bit of a challengs then!!!!!!
it was hammering down rivers of water everywhere and we only had ACB10 avons not good in the wet but it didnt seem to matter
the car won by miles
second race started on pole
won no problem at all
then we drove it home again boy you should have seen the look of amazement on all the regular race drivers faces when we drove there and back and whupped their asses
next ouiting is at bruntingthorpe with proper timing gear on hopefully this week to see what 0 to 100 to 0 etc times are
then elvington for a track day on sunday all being well
chris

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

Excellent, any pictures from said meeting?

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

Nice to hear the cars getting out and about and doing so well.

What sort of racing is it at Cadwell? What sort of cars were you up against?

#4 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:35 AM

The open races for sports/GT cars and saloons were full of action. Chris Maries, driving a Honda-powered Mini, took two victories in the Mansfield Cup for saloon cars, and the finishing order was the same for both races. Taking a pair of second positions was David Swales in a Ford Fiesta, ahead of Colin Stubbs in a Rover 216 GTi.

Read all abaht it

#5 * Specialized *

* Specialized *

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:38 AM

thats awesome chris, what was your top speed around the track etc, and also do you have any pics.

#6 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

when i got down to l2b i saw the monty parcked up and thought result i can talk to them about the space frame for my gti project, after having to park miles away i got there and you were gone!

congrats on the race wins, its great to see that you drove there and back and still absolutly whopped there butt's

gaz

#7 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

didnt get any pictures ourselves i was racing myself at york so two of the lads looked after the monte
they were flat out all day fettling the sticky throttle initially then fending off all the interested spectators and racers questions
just goes to prove that the mini still has IT in spades when it comes to people showing interest
chris

#8 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

when are you going to bruntingthorpe? i only live a few miles away and i'd love to see this.

#9 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

hopefully thursday but i wont know till last miniute
its a magazine shoot and i dont think they will want spectators for health and safety reasons
if the weathers good and we do go i will post our times up for you all to check out
im hoping that they will be the quickest there no matter what turns up
chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users