#1 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hi, i have just fitted a new set of roller bearings into one of my hubs, however the bearing nearest to the cv joint is able to move back and forth out of the bearing outer casing, should this happen or have i done something wrong? I have followed my haynes manual on putting bearing in!

help!!!

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

not quite sure what you mean, but is there a little play in the assembled bearing? Its pretty normal to have a little play and will pinch up when the CV is all tightened up. However, it's a question of being normal as long as the movement is "within reason", which is pretty hard to explain over a computer.

#3 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

i will go to the workshop and get some pics and try and explain better that way!

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

do you mean the bearing cage and rollers itself? Or the actual outer race that you pressed into the hub? If its the bearing cage this is normal, as the oil seal on the inner side sits a bit further away from the cage than the outer side oil seal, meaning until the bearings are assembled with the CV the inner cage is able to 'flop' around a bit inside the hub, but is stopped from coming out completely by its oil seal and dust shied.

Once the CV joint is in the hub and the hub nut is tightened up all traces of that movement will be eliminated if you have done everything correctly.

If its the actual race that presses into the hub thats moving (which it doesn't sound like from your description), then thats bad, as the hub is worn or damaged - if thats the case then you need a new hub.

#5 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

No it's the bearing cage that moves a bit, after the great sage "dad" arrives home he confirmed this is fine! So happy days!

Cheers for your help tho guys!

#6 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

Wow, was literally writing a similar post. I had problems with my hub nut coming loose and the splines from the driving flange being stripped....upon advice from Forum Dan and someone else, i want to check that the hub isnt damaged in any way.....i have been told to check that the outer races don't spin in the hub or that there isn't any evidence that they have been spinning in the hub, either way..not good and could result in a new hub being needed.

The two outer races are supposed to be flush with the interior 'land' bit in the hub right? I was told that this can get worn away a bit from spinning outer races causing excesive play from bearings. i have added a picture of the interior of the hub.

Is the black area pointed at with arrow 1 not supposed to be there i.e should the outer race be flush with it?
There is some scoring in the central 'land' bit, what could have caused this-pointed at with arrow 2.
And i have been told to watch out for scoring that could look like it is meant to be there....possibly pointed out with arrow 3?
Or do i just need to drive that outer race out to tell more?

Cheers guys

Attached Files

#7 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

I'd drive out the races mate and have a proper look!

#8 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

race is out and i can see a mark (above and left of what im assuming is a grease channel) and bit of scoring.
However, i think the area marked 1 that was black with grease suggests it has been not sat properly for some time - consistent with having loose hub nut. You think this suggests that it should be ok as where the race has been sitting (and potentially spinning) is in a larger diameter part of hub anyway?

Oops, forgot pic. i like my pics!

Attached Files

#9 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:34 PM

looks ok to me, i wouldn't worry 2 much about little dinks in the hub as long as the races fit tightly in the hub and there is no play in them!

#10 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

Cheers Liam, they seem very snug to me so won't worry.....any idea what kind of "tube of suitable diameter" Hayne's could have been referring to when they said about refitting the races? Or did you just tap them in?

#11 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

well i used a massive socket which worked brilliantly, or you can use a drift, basically a bar of metal and tab them in gently, secret is dont rush the job!

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

The bearings weren't properly seated as you suspect. They should indeed be pressed right against the seperator in the hub. This is either because they haven't been driven in far enough in the first place and then the hub nut has not been properly torqued or because the nut wasn't properly torqued using a flat washer before fitting the taper washer meaning nothing was fully tight and the bearing has subsequently moved somehow. If I were you I'd be seriously inspecting the other side as well. So long as the new races are a good fit in the hub and none of it is bent it should be fine to re-use.

And yes, use a massive socket or a drift. If you use a drift keep taping round evenly so as not to drive one side in too far. The bearing needs to go in square, if it goes off square a lot and you keep driving it something will shatter. Probably the race but possibly the hub.

Just trying to remember what I used last time. Since I moved house my garage is bit upside down and I'm not using the normal things. I remember using a brake drum as a platform for supporting the hub as I drove the bearings out and in. I found something absolutely perfectly sized for driving bearing races and I'm fairly sure it was a pretty common Mini part or tool but I can't remember what.

Edited by Dan, 31 May 2006 - 08:21 PM.

#13 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:26 PM

in the for sale section have spotted someone selling 2 hubs and driveshafts complete - was thinking about buying and "starting again", of course can't be sure they would be any better/safer!

Another point of note, when inspecting brake caliper - noticed one of the pads was unevenly worn i.e. left hand side had maybe a mil extra pad left to right side ......suggests caliper holding on wheel before perhaps?

Attached Files

#14 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

looks like oone of the cylinders in the caliper isn't pushing out with the rest of them, probably seized! I'd suggest rebuilding both ur calipers anyway now that they are off. Seals are dirt cheap and everyone know's how important good brakes are on a mini!

#15 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

I am sooooo glad I bearings for free :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users