17 replies to this topic

#1 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

hello all. got my delivery of shiny mini bits today. decided to fit a couple of things, new ht leads went on well and she runs sweet now =)

of course, a mini wouldnt be a mini without giving me hassle at some point, as i found out trying to fit the steering drop bracket i got. basically, the bolt thats already in there is rounded both ends, so i dont have a clue how im going to get it out!

theres a couple of pics for you to look at.

is everyones like this or just me? ive tried using a wrench and pliers etc. dont really see how i could get anything in there to cut through the bolt.

any help greatly appreciated,
Stef

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

get some mole grips and take it off that way. The left hand nut is kinda captive anyway. it is meant to be like it is as it is a shear bolt.

If you are lucky(you are not) then they sometimes didn't shear it off from the factory.

alternatively cut it!!!

you will need to order a new one from a "minispares" place

#3 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

that would be your standard sheer bolt! i removed mine by cutting a slot in the right hand side (as the left hand side has a sort of taper hold it on the bracket) and using a flat blade screwdriver to remove it. or you could just grind it off.......

#4 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:18 PM

cheers guys, i wish they would explain that in the instructions you get with it...

can i not just go up my local hardware store and get a new bolt and nut with some loctite? or is that unsafe...

#5 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

unsafe really it needs to be the right material etc etc.

i will try and finsd a link for one

#6 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

sweet. and i wanted to fit it tonight as well =(

if i cut a slot could i re use it?

#7 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:27 PM

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=33280

there ya go

if you use mole grips i can't see why you can't reuse it. you can re-use the nut for defo.

Also dont forget to loosen the steering rack u bolts under the carpet on the toe board.

do a searcgh and you will find loads on how to fit one and probs find a few pics aswell

#8 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:28 PM

don't quote me on it but i think you could reuse it......

#9 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:28 PM

ok, so i could just use a nut on the end of that? and im assuming that you tighten it till the end rips off... i'm not a retard but havent actually ever seen one of these before hehe

#10 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

When i fitted mine i re-used the nut off the old one and tightend it all up enoough but didnt rip the head off so i could take it off easier next time if needed.

the nut fits into the side of the column and its held in place. when you take it off you will see what i mean

#11 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

ah right, so me wrenching the nut and it not moving is because of that then... :proud:

cheers for the help, should have it sorted soon if i can find somethihng to cut a groove with!

stef

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:22 PM

Easiest way i found to remove these shear bolts is to use a hack saw ( or if you are lucky enough as me, an air powered 3" cut off saw) and cut a slot in the middle of it deep enought for you to get the biggest screwdriver you have to sit in it nicely, then its simply a matter of removing it with the screwdriver. I found mole grips will always slip off and is APITA.

You can re use it but i would rather fit a standard high tensile bolt and torque it up correctly as it is after all part of the steering and you wouldnt want it to come loose. Use the captive nut though.

#13 clarks.2006

clarks.2006

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:35 AM

Surely you can use a nut and bolt and double nut it with some loctite? Thats what i think im going to do anyway shouldnt be too much trouble wen steering falls to bits lmao.

#14 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:01 AM

If it's sheared off don't reuse it, that's a bodge. just buy a high tensile (8.8) replacement.

#15 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:10 AM

its sheared off because it is meant to be though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users