80 replies to this topic

#1 maxt9

maxt9

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Ok here goes, I bought a 1989 mini 1000 about a year ago to make into a zcar. I have always wanted to do one of these conversion but didn't have the time and money. One day I was in the garage decide to bite the bullet and started stripping it. The plan is a full race frame with a Vtec, big brake kit and eventually force induction either supercharge or turbocharged but that we'll down the line. Attached File  image.jpg   57.77K   26 downloads

#2 maxt9

maxt9

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

So here's a few pics of the stripped shell, slightly different from the 1st one.Attached File  image.jpg   80.16K   31 downloads

Edited by maxt9, 03 February 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#3 maxt9

maxt9

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Front end gone Attached File  image.jpg   66.73K   30 downloads

#4 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Looking forward to seeing this project progress. There is no going back now the rear has been cut out!

#5 GeorgeMini

GeorgeMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

nice one, you wont regret it! im roughly half way through and loving it.. 

#6 maxt9

maxt9

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

Has any one had experience with carbon fibre naca 50mm ducts? Also dose anyone have the measurement of the position of there side vents? Want to make sure it is not going to interfere with the rear subframe as I don't have it yet. Thanks

Edited by maxt9, 08 February 2014 - 12:20 AM.

#7 BridMini

BridMini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Looking good Max. Keep it up

#8 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Has any one had experience with carbon fibre naca 50mm ducts? Also dose anyone have the measurement of the position of there side vents? Want to make sure it is not going to interfere with the rear subframe as I don't have it yet. Thanks

Can I ask what you're using 50mm ducts for?

#9 maxt9

maxt9

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

The plan was for the air intake for the engine, not 100% sure what size I will need yet until I check, unless you could shed any light on the size I will need for the air intake ? Thanks

#10 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

The plan was for the air intake for the engine, not 100% sure what size I will need yet until I check, unless you could shed any light on the size I will need for the air intake ? Thanks

That's why I asked, if its for the air intake you would want a minimum of 3" (76mm) inlet, knowing what I do now I'd have maybe gone to 4" so that you know for sure there's no restriction there. My advice would be to not use an enclosed air filter if you can, and instead make a cool compartment where the air filter lives that is shielded from the rest of the engine bay but fed from the duct. Also use as bigger air filter as possible, dont fall for sales pitches, just go big and taper down as you reach the throttle body.

#11 maxt9

maxt9

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

That's why I asked, if its for the air intake you would want a minimum of 3" (76mm) inlet, knowing what I do now I'd have maybe gone to 4" so that you know for sure there's no restriction there. My advice would be to not use an enclosed air filter if you can, and instead make a cool compartment where the air filter lives that is shielded from the rest of the engine bay but fed from the duct. Also use as bigger air filter as possible, dont fall for sales pitches, just go big and taper down as you reach the throttle body.

Thanks for the good info, this especially makes sense if I go down the supercharged road! Need as much air as possible. Thanks again

#12 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the good info, this especially makes sense if I go down the supercharged road! Need as much air as possible. Thanks again

I would also say that it isn't just for SC'd or turbo engines, all engines benefit from as colder air as possible being sucked/blown into them, with as little amount of restriction to air flowing into the inlet manifold. The colder the air the denser it is which means you can add ignition and get more bang for your buck......

#13 maxt9

maxt9

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   70.84K   28 downloads

#14 maxt9

maxt9

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies