27 replies to this topic

#16 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

the only other way is to grind or plasma cut the shell into pieces and then take that to a scrap yard then your left with the best bits of the car to sell on. or take all chassis plates of repaint the whole shell put different engine in and different plates and you have a different mini with a different logbook. but cant see robbers doing this unless they are a gang set up to do it in there rented garage..  

#17 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

Or you throw it in a container and ship it abroad - it's surprising how much a genuinely "old" Mini can fetch in foreign parts and if you haven't had to pay for it in the first place.......

If they have a log book for a Mini that's around the correct age then they can easily sell it to someone in America as a legit car - America is a likely candidate as their laws don't allow newer cars to be imported (hence the number of 1960's MPi Minis in America). At it's age it won't have had the chassis number stamped into the scuttle so 5 minutes with a drill and the VIN is gone. Engines get swapped right left and centre anyway so probably not worth their time changing that number if it's going abroad.

Chances of seeing it again are slim if they were well enough equipped to lift a non runner.

Iain

#18 Jakemorrismini

Jakemorrismini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Not another one!!

#19 jridge

jridge

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

What do you guys think of this? I've been trawling various websites and this has turned up on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.u...-/281272939998?

I've no real reason to think it might be the car, but something doesn't feel right about this car.  When run through the DVLA website, the reg in the ad shows as no information available. I rang DVLA and they told me the car was declared SORN 12 years ago and then nothing. Now suddenly the guy says he has put on a new grille (hers had a distinctive dent and AA badge), a new interior and wants a quick sale. It has also got a brand new MOT but remains untaxed or SORN ...

Like I say, I know I'm being overly suspicious but what do you reckon?  It's also below 30,000 miles and an automatic.

Have asked for more photos but was told "it's not really about how this car looks, but more about how original it is.." The guy looks like a trader but only seems to deal in modern stuff normally.

Anyone in Tynemouth who can check out if the chassis no. plate has been changed or check out the engine no?

Thanks Guys.

#20 jridge

jridge

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Oh. Just realised. There's no aerial in the n/s wing. Probably not it then.

#21 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Did yours have the marks on the bootlid?

#22 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

first of all i love that number plate its got my name at the start =]  anyway getting on to this do you have any recent photos of the car? was the bootlid rusty like it is on the picture? that center speedo looks to new. 

#23 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

also not showing the drivers side for some reason on the picture when selling a car every angle is ideal?? 

#24 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

looks the one to me! the picture you posted up on page one. drivers door has mirror passenger doesnt also the same on ebay?? also i have some gut feeling that this is the actual one. really need to go there and view it and check out the body chassis plates for signs off new pop rivets or if they have been messed with? i would just go and view it or can anyone of here go look at it? thanks tom 

#25 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

also you mention at first your freinds grandad broguth the car and give it her and he also has mentioned grandad and grandson? something dont seem right?  

#26 jridge

jridge

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm pretty certain this isn't the one due to the lack of aerial hole in the wing, but he keeps reducing the price and has not answered my email requesting more photos. Hmmmm....

#27 0208brian1

0208brian1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

HI SORRY TO EAR ABOUT YOUR CAR.KEEP MY EARS AND EYES OPEN .NOT FAR FROM U CATFORD ,BRIAN

#28 jridge

jridge

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

Cheers, Brian. I'll just keep trawling websites looking for automatic boxes and blue cars!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users