Photo

Some People Shouldn't Be Allowed To Drive.

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 Merryck

Merryck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

Nearly got knocked off my bike this afternoon by a woman who decided that I was in her way and tried to overtake me where there clearly wasn't enough room.

She hit my handlebars with her wing mirror and as I flinched away from it she hit my hand as well, which hurt! She then proceeded to tell me that I'd swerved in front of her intentionally, that I'd have to pay for the 'damage' to her car, that if I didn't have insurance it was illegal for me to be on the road and that her husband was a police officer and he'd 'sort it out' implying I'd be the one getting the sorting out.

She also threatened to call the police on me. I just wanted to get home and unpack my massive parcel of mini parts!

I've ordered a GoPro so that next time I can record it.

Also she was wearing her ASDA uniform. I doubt they'd be too happy about her behaviour whilst wearing that.

#2 willava182

willava182

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

What a load of ****, am I the only one that pulls as far in as I can when I see a biker? (Too give them room)

Edited by willava182, 04 March 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#3 Minisamwellen

Minisamwellen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

What a load of ****, am I the only one that pulls as far in as I can when I see a biker?

I give bikers/cyclists loads of room when I pass them, and if there's cars coming the other way and it looks like there isn't enough room then I slow down and wait. Cant stand impatient motorists  :mmkay:

#4 willava182

willava182

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

What a load of ****, am I the only one that pulls as far in as I can when I see a biker?

I give bikers/cyclists loads of room when I pass them, and if there's cars coming the other way and it looks like there isn't enough room then I slow down and wait. Cant stand impatient motorists  :mmkay:

Exactly, really pisses me of when people deliberately go in the middle so bikers can't get past, normally give those drivers the finger haha

#5 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

The police wont like her comments either I bet!

#6 MiniGrin

MiniGrin

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Local Club: Loud 'N' Lairy MOC (Sheffield)

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

my view is I have no issue with push bikers if they stay in the edge, use cycle lanes where possible and obey the rules of the road. But when you see them two abreast, deliberately riding in the middle of the road, swerving in front of you/wobbling about, Weaving through traffic, undertaking cars at lights etc (its illegal for anyone else to do this so why can push bikers get away with it), and not using the cycle lanes where provided, or acting like they have more right to be there than you (the road tax and insurance payer), then I start to be a little less likely to show them too much patience, if they are curtius to me, I will be to them, if they are acting like an idiot, they shouldn't complain when other road users get a little annoyed. Sorry bit of a rant there, nothing much to do with this incident XD a bit of a general one.

Edited by MiniGrin, 04 March 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#7 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

When I was taught to drive (2 years ago) I was always told to give cyclists a wide berth in case they swerve, that is because cyclists do due to drains and potholes etc. 

As a result I doubt that her side would stick too well with the rozzers and I doubt her husband is a police occifer as it sounds a bit like she is just trying to sound important, also the cyclist is going to be the one who comes off better in that situation because they are obviously more vulnerable! 

#8 willava182

willava182

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Cops normally lean to the side if the most venerable person, and insurance? ******* that, you don't need insurance to walk across the street do you? No...

#9 Harrison541

Harrison541

A bowl of prawns, avocado and cress?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

I had an ASDA delivery driver try to overtake me on the inside of a single lane roundabout and then swerved across me as he headed for an earlier exit than me. Although he did slam on his brakes when I shouted "look where you're going you ****!"

Edited by Harrison541, 05 March 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#10 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

When I was taught to drive (2 years ago) I was always told to give cyclists a wide berth in case they swerve, that is because cyclists do due to drains and potholes etc. 

As a result I doubt that her side would stick too well with the rozzers and I doubt her husband is a police occifer as it sounds a bit like she is just trying to sound important, also the cyclist is going to be the one who comes off better in that situation because they are obviously more vulnerable! 

I was taught exactly the same thing 33 years ago. :-)

#11 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

I actually think cyclists, and horse riders should have insurance! 

My sister (carrying my 3 year old niece) was hit by a cyclist at a crossing.

The lights weren't working, however cars stopped to allow her to cross and the cyclist didn't!

My sister was quite badly injured and both ended up in A&E

#12 Harrison541

Harrison541

A bowl of prawns, avocado and cress?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

The most dangerous part about cycling is the car drivers attitude of must get infront.

Edited by Harrison541, 05 March 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#13 Merryck

Merryck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

I actually also think cyclists should have insurance, and it's not hard to get it, some companies actually offer it with house insurance. Don't even get me started on horse riders, I know young children under 10 who go out riding on their own, it's insane!

The particular bit of road in question is actually too narrow for a bike and a car to be next to each other, even if I'm brushing the kerb with my wheel, so I ride towards the middle to stop cars from trying to overtake me. I'm still well within what's recommended by the highway code, and I very rarely have any issues, but this woman decided to take the chance and risk my life to save herself an extra 10 seconds on her commute. 

It blows my mind the selfishness of some people. The other day I was walking the dog and some guy pulled up behind me on the phone wanting me to get out of the way (I was one a bit of path that cars can use, but rarely do) I called him out on it, telling him to put down the f***ing phone and his response was "What's your problem, I'm not hurting you am I?". No, not yet, but when I lose my legs because you just HAD to have that chat, or HAD to get home a little earlier then you'll be hurting me.

#14 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

A cyclist yesterday just pulled right in front of me causing me to slam my brakes on. No warning via hand signals, it was out the blue. Then looked at me like I'd done the wrong thing. Sorry but on that occasion it was not my fault.

#15 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

i gave cycling a go for a while... i soon decided i didnt want to be crushed under the wheels of a vehicle and bought a mini

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users