#1 Wigan

Wigan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

Here's my problem ..

Filled the tank to maximum on Monday, parked up and noticed, next to the rear light, a wet patch .. Well, more like a stream, from the Cap ..

Smelt like petrol, obviously .. So, i just thought it was because I'd literally filled it full ..

Next: Noticed it yesterday aswell, but it was still reading Full on the gauge ..

Now, it's not on full, its about an eighth off, but still the stream of petrol is there .. I tried a few things like taking off the Aston Cap and fiddling around with the nozzle type thing, and that all seemed OK .. Put the cap back on, seemed fairly snug .. Just got in from going for a spin and the stream has returned ..

Any ideas how to eradicate this problem? .. I don't like the thought of loosing fuel when it's nearly a pound a litre .. :)

Cheers in Advance .. I can take some pictures if i'm not seeming clear enough .. :P

#2 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

Wont do your paintwork any favours either... :P

#3 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

Sounds to me like the seal has perished, buy a new cap (unless you can change the seal, i dont know)

#4 mini25

mini25

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

the steam comes from petrol coming out wen u go round a corner, usually when u turn right

its because the cap is lose even when done up, u can tell because it will wobble if u wiggle it when locked

answer either dont fill it up too far or

fit an extra gasket inside the cap to give a better seal

#5 Wigan

Wigan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

Blimey, that were quick!

Taa all for the extremely quick response! ..

Bounce : If i buy a new cap, will i get a seal with it? .. When i took off that Aston Cap it was just a fitting, for over the original nozzle thing ..

Mini25 : Sorry for sounding like a retard but when you say gasket it means nothing to me .. Could you point me in the right direction so i can see if they sell one on Minispares, please? ..

Thanks again, much appreciated :P

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:49 PM

Sorry for sounding like a retard but when you say gasket it means nothing to me

If you take off your standard filler cap, turn it over and look inside you will seal a rubber seal,
If this has perished/cracked or split in one or several places, tit will not seal properly and leak.

Simplest way to fix the problem is with a new filler cap.

Also the fuel that is leaking will not do your paintwork any good and like mine has stared to strip some of the paint off, plus it's also dangerous for other road users leaving a trail of fuel on the road.

#7 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:51 PM

A new cap should come with a new seal.

a gasket is basically another word for a seal

#8 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

i have same problem solution; only half fill the tank!

#9 93-rio

93-rio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen mini owners club (AMOC)

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

Stupid question:- Did you fit the aston cap yourself? If you did i hope you kept the original cap on as the aston doesnt have any seals at all, its all for show

#10 RammsteinMini

RammsteinMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Clan

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

don't put yourself down wigan! we all have to be beginners at some point!

a gasket is a seal (usually rubber or foam, sometimes even wood!) that is used betweem two matching parts (in your case the inside of your petrol cap and the top of the filler neck) that creates a seal between them to stop the loss of gas or fluid (again, in your case, petrol!) if its perished (usually looks a bit flaky and out of shape) cracked or just generally worn, it will need replacing. i'm not sure if you can get replacement gaskets for Aston caps, but i would guess that an original gasket for an original cap would fit as its going on the same filler neck! a new gasket will be cheap (under a fiver defo) and if your still not sure that will hold up, source a thicker gasket or put 2 in for an extra snug fit. that should do the trick! :P

cheers, and good luck!

#11 minidub

minidub

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Local Club: south devon mini club , tmf

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:43 PM

ive had the same problem :P ive put a new fuel cap on it anew seal but it still leaks
it could be ure fuel tank cause thats wats wrong with mine

#12 Wigan

Wigan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone :P

I'm pretty sure I'm on the same wavelength as you all now, lol ..

Erm, looks like I'm going to be getting a new cap, just so the problem won't return any time soon .. Hope that does the trick ..

93-rio : I have the original cap, the Aston cap just flicks up to reveal it ..

Thanks 1984mini25, Bounce and RammsteinMini for clearing everything up .. Hate it when i don't know what's being talked about and i have to ask, so once again, cheers :)

min79gt, i just hope it's the cap that's up with mine .. But, i suppose I'll have to find out ..

#13 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

We just bought a brand new vented cap for Toad, hoping it would cure the problem of the expanding petrol in the summer heat.... but no!

We also still have fuel pouring out when ever we go round a bend... I think the estate/van tanks are more prone to the problem though as they are relatively flat, so even with less fuel in them it can slosh up to the filler neck!

It's a shame, but at the end of the day, most minis have a little stream of petrol coming from the cap- just wipe it off regularaly is all I can suggest!

#14 mini25

mini25

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

vans and pickups are the only ones that shopuld have a vented cap as they dont have a vent in thetank itslef

normal minis should have a normal cap as they have abreather from the top of the tank

#15 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

As said above, I've never had a mini that doesn't spill petrol...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users