#1 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Hi all,

As some of you know I recently converted my Metro from 1.4 Automatic to 1.1 Manual.

I'll be insuring the car come June, and I'm not sure what to do regarding insurance, I obviously want it all to be legit.

I never plan to sell the car, so it being correct on the log book isn't an issue to ME. 

When I get insurance quotes, with the engine and gearbox declared, I get a more than reasonable quote of £800. This would mean that I'd be driving the car legally, since the car has it's gearbox change declared, is that correct?

I'm afraid that if I declare the engine and gearbox to the DVLA, then when I quote, aside from the engine being smaller than when it left the factory, it'll be classed as a modified vehicle and hence my insurance will be higher.

Does anybody have experience with this? If you planned to keep the car forever, would you bother declaring it to the DVLA? Obviously if I get stopped by the police the car will flash up as an automatic on the computer, when it is infact a manual. I'm unsure if providing them with the donor vehicles log book and proof of purchase, and my insurance companies phone number so that they can see that the modifications are in fact declared would be enough.

Thanks!

Craig 

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 27 March 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#2 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

I might be wrong, but I think that when this came up before, it was decided that there's no actual way to advise DVLA of a change in transmission type any way. So as far as DVLA and the logbook is concerned, if it's an auto when was registered, then it always will be, even if you have changed it to a manual.

Technically you're still legally required to tell them of any change in engine though and therefore any new engine size and number. That said, I'm not actually aware of any consequence of not declaring an engine change to DVLA, other than the problems it can cause at resale. (Obviously If you were changing the engine and therefore also increasing the CC to the point that you should be paying more in road tax, then that would be a different matter.)

#3 Gerbil367

Gerbil367

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Insurance is always a strange thing anyway - my son got a quote for his VW Polo as standard and then again when he decared it as modified with adjustable suspension - it was cheaper modified - that confused the crap out of me!  I submitted an engine change to DVLA, along with letter from garage and all was fine - I wouldnt think it would be any different going to smaller engine, just get friendly (and cheap) local garage to give you letter confirming the engine size - my local did it for free.  Not sure on the gearbox change though - I would say phone and ask, but that is a lottery in itself sometimes!

#4 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

If you have changed the engine then you need to inform the DVLA of the change in engine number. Its so they can make sure that they are taxing the car correctly although with your metro it won't change the tax classification. Just add a letter with the documentation explaining that the car has been changed from auto to manual and they will change the V5c if it needs to be. This is what I did when I converted my mini (had to take two attempts at it mind you).

As for insurance. You just need to declare it. When I spoke to mine they said that as there are manual mini's around they just considered it as a manual mini not a converted automatic. If you are lucky then your insurance should do the same with your metro. It was direct line who I was insured with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users