• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Last year when I had to renew my road car insurance, the most competitive quote using 'The Meerkats' was with a different company from the one I was with. So I changed companies.

Come renewal time this year I got the usual renewal notice from RAC Insurance at £310 fully comp (BMW 730D SE). So I consulted The Meerkats again and the best quote was £220. I decided to call my current insurer to cancel and, wonder of wonders, they dropped the renewal to £235 and included legal cover which I didn't have with a slightly lower excess than with the Meerkat's lowest.

It's wonderful what a phone call can do, but it's a bit naughty to try to rip off a loyal customer. In order to make life simple I stayed with my present insurer.

I had a similar thing with the RAC Breakdown. After being a member for over 10 years with only 1 claim, I received a renewal quote, but then I saw a 'special offer' for new members at less than I was paying for the same level of breakdown cover. So I called to tell them I would be cancelling and that I would then be a non-member applying to join at the special rate. So what did they do? They gave me an extra 3 months membership for the price of my quoted renewal as a 'loyalty bonus'.

#2 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

RAC are notorious for this, I haven't paid the renewal quote for the last decade. Its a yearly game to see how cheap I can get it. Its stupid really and very annoying.

#3 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Never just renew now and haven't for a while. Have the same game  every year, latest was with the Mini. Renewal came through £113.50 fully comp, which is up from £89 I paid last year. Checked a few other companies and got a couple of lower quotes. Quick phone call to current insurer explained I had a cheaper quote elsewhere and after about 2 mins on hold (to check what they can do) and they came back with a new price of £82.50 :lol: Why they couldn't just offer me that in the first place.

Now I know its cheap anyway and I know a lot of people would love to pay such a low premium, but I like to keep it as low as possible otherwise they just tag on another £25 each year and before I know it I'll be paying £200 odd.

Got the same game next month with my daily. Not had the renewal through yet but expecting it to have risen well above inflation even though I've not claimed for 14 years.

What I can never understand is when I've entered my details on comparison websites in previous years, quotes have come back from my insurer way under what they have quoted for renewal. Sometimes with better terms, lower excess etc. Although I have used the same details for both quote and renewal :unsure:  Sometimes I think they just pluck a figure out the air :lol:

Edited by miniyellowmini, 19 April 2014 - 09:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users