34 replies to this topic

#1 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

Got the starting point for my Z Cars Type R project today. It's a 1984 Mini 25 that a friend gave to me as he needed to get it out of his garage. Its not been used for a while, the tax ran out in May 1998. Having had a quick look at it when I got it home it seems to be in reasonable condition, for a freebie. The front wings have been replaced as has one of the A Panels. It will definately need 2 new doors and front lower panel, and probably new sills. The rest of it seems to just be surface rust, although no doubt with a bit more investigation it will turn out to be a lot worse.

I'll post updates as a when they happen if anyone's interested, although it's probably going to be a slow build, at least to start with, as I'm getting married in 6 weeks and I originally agreed not to start a new project until after the wedding. Unfortunately my previous car sold in a week and I was offered a Mini for free. Hopefully I'll manage to sneak a few visits into the garage in the next few weeks.

Richard

#2 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

Sweet, have bought the kit yet?

#3 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:17 PM

Not yet, but will do in the next couple of days

#4 * Specialized *

* Specialized *

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:54 PM

awesome, look forward to seeing and hearing more about this. good luck with it

#5 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:14 PM

cool should be awesome :lol:

#6 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:55 PM

good stuff

#7 Digby

Digby

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

Hi Richard,

I know the feeling... my previous project before the Zcars / Mini had a delievery date of my wedding day, the wife veto'ed that date!

good luck with the build,

Digby
www.geocities.com/drusling

Got the starting point for my Z Cars Type R project today. It's a 1984 Mini 25 that a friend gave to me as he needed to get it out of his garage. Its not been used for a while, the tax ran out in May 1998. Having had a quick look at it when I got it home it seems to be in reasonable condition, for a freebie. The front wings have been replaced as has one of the A Panels. It will definately need 2 new doors and front lower panel, and probably new sills. The rest of it seems to just be surface rust, although no doubt with a bit more investigation it will turn out to be a lot worse.

I'll post updates as a when they happen if anyone's interested, although it's probably going to be a slow build, at least to start with, as I'm getting married in 6 weeks and I originally agreed not to start a new project until after the wedding. Unfortunately my previous car sold in a week and I was offered a Mini for free. Hopefully I'll manage to sneak a few visits into the garage in the next few weeks.

Richard

#8 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

Just thought I'd post a quick update. Having agreed that i wouldn't work on the car until after the wedding, I did manage to escape into the garage a few times over the last couple of weeks. I've managed to strip everything off, except the rear subframe, which I left on so I could move the car to the other side of the garage, leaving enough space for the car we're using for the wedding. Unfortunately the other side of the garage isn't as big and I had to cut the front end off to get it in.

As I can't get in the garage, I've been thinking about what the car is going to look like. The current plan is CF 2 piece front end, roof, bootlid and Miglia Arches. Then to paint the car in either grey or purple, leaving the roof, arches and stripes on the bonnet as carbon fibre weave. I just need to find my cheque book!!

I've also ordered the kit from Z-Cars, including the stage 1 and 2 kits for the engine, I should get it towards the end of August.

Richard

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

Top tip from someone who has just completed a build (not Z cars though) - get hold of 2 or 3 pallets and screw some heavy duty castors to one and pile them up with the shell on top. Makes working on the shell SO much easier including fitting frames etc - mine was on them for everything up to engine fit.

#10 samwell

samwell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Local Club: SC Spammers

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:15 AM

bump.... i'm well exited to see one of these vtec zcars, did you really get your chequebook out or did the mrs put her foot down?

#11 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:45 AM

if this is the chap i who poped along to my local club meet around oct time, i'm sure he was about to collect/receive kit inc engine.

would also like to know more on the progress

Si

#12 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

I have all the bits, filling up the garage and dining room. Progress has been a little slow as work keeps getting in the way. So far I've stripped the car and cut out the back end. The front subframe is ready to go on, so hopefully over the next couple of weeks it'll start to take shape. I'm also under pressure to work on it so we get the dining room back, it's nice to be encouraged to go into the garage for a change.

Richard

#13 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: minisevenclub Holland

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

Keep us posted on your progress. As I am working on a Vtec conversion too its always nice to keep in touch with your fellow dare devils!

Greets

René

#14 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

Having thought I was going to get started on the car in January I did pretty much nothing until September. Since then I've managed to get a reasonable amount done so thought I would give you an update.

I was pleased to be given a Mini for nothing until I started to strip it. I was going to get the bodywork done by someone else but a friend who used to work in bodyshops offered to teach me how to do it. As we started to remove the old panels it started to look worse and worse so we've ended up replacing the following:

Inner and outer sills
Door steps
Front floor
Right Rear Quarter Panel
Inner wings
Rear Valance
Scuttle

I've still got to replace the door skins, on replacement doors as the originals were scrap. It could have been worse, the front end and bootlid are carbon so don't need welding. That lot has taken 3 months to complete but it's finally at the point that things can be bolted in.

The plan is to trial fit everything that needs a hole or welding on the shell and then strip it back, finish off the bodywork and prime it, then paint the underside and inside. Then fit everything before painting the outside. Hopefully all this will be done by the end of April.

Here are some photos of the work so far.

Attached File  The_Start.jpg   213.19K   57 downloads
Attached File  Bodywork_Before.jpg   224.25K   78 downloads
Attached File  Bodywork_During.jpg   248.61K   136 downloads
Attached File  Bodywork_After.jpg   166.35K   91 downloads
Attached File  Frame_Going_In.jpg   189.33K   178 downloads
Attached File  Frame_In.jpg   244.85K   273 downloads
Attached File  Finished___.jpg   284.92K   271 downloads

#15 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

Phoooorrrr... that looks awesome!

Can I be cheeky and ask how hard was it fit?
I am still working out whats going to be best for my Type R... FWD or RWD...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users