Should I Buy A Classic Mini?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 willjyoung1997

willjyoung1997
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

Hi im a 16 year old boy and am soon to be 17. The question i want to ask is that, whether i should buy a classic mini as my first car or should i try to build my no claims up with a newer car. Could you advise me on the safety of them and the fuel economy.if it is worthy of buying a mini what should i look out for when trying to buy one because i don't want end up rebuilding the whole car. i fell in love with them after watching the original italian job and i am obsessed with a red paint job and union jack roof.

#2 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

yes.

#3 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

It really depends on your budget - if you want one that genuinely wants no work, then more than likely it wont be cheap, I bought my first Mini at 16 in 2009, paid £1400 and had to weld new floors and sills in - I paid too much because I didnt know anything about Minis then. The very best thing you can do is take someone with you who knows what to look for and how to spot bodges. They rust everywhere. Dont let this put you off though, they are such a good first car! Fuel economy depends on the condition and state of tune of the engine, 40mpg is an average figure for a good condition engine tuned well. Ill be honest, they are not the safest of cars - only the very late ones have airbags (that will probably be past their best by now) and have no other modern safety features like crumple zones. Saying that, I have never felt unsafe in mine. In short, if you either happen upon a solid one cheaply, have a decent budget or are willing to learn at least the mechanical side of things (pretty much needed for maintenance anyway) then go for it - also having a garage to keep it in will help keep it in good condition.

#4 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

one word for you

yes

#5 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

Before you get a mini, id get a garage. Second, id buy a mini to fit into it!

Life's too short. Live it.

#6 Cambelt

Cambelt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

Same as me I'm 16 and got my mini this weekend I love it, 

modern car might not take as much of your money in the long run though 

#7 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:18 PM

I'd just be very careful about what you buy. Don't let you heart rule your head and end up with something that looks pretty but is full if rust. 

The outer sills, rear valance, A-panels, wings and windscreen panel ends are all prone to rust.  Unless you have a space and ability to do the work yourself it can be very costly. 

#8 stefan5417

stefan5417

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

Not unless you want to be fixing it every week.. maybe thats just my **** piece

#9 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

Buy a Mini and in two to three years time you'll be able to fix all your mates cars and be able to weld as well!!

#10 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

Yes.... but have some cash to kep it onthe road.......

#11 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

I wish I could say "yes", but with insurance costs etc that you'll face you need to choose very carefully. I insured a cooper s at your age (**** that sounds patronizing) for £137....I think it might cost you a bit more than that now.

#12 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

Yes... definitely yes. Such an awesome first car. Just try and get one which is for the most part mechanically sound and rust free. Might be a bit more expensive but in the long run it will be worth it.

#13 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

NO!!

You should buy two!!

#14 Moggyton

Moggyton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Local Club: Stone mini club

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

From personnal experiences i would never recommend one as a first car but that could just be because i bought a very dodgey mini. If you have plenty of money then go for it, but make sure you buy one that is rust free rather than one that drives well and is falling apart. Mechanically they are fairly easy and cheap to fix but bodywork will cost an absolute fortune unless you do it yourself.

#15 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

The first car i drove after passing my test was my Mini25 but i didn't own it then so only drove it a couple of times. I absolutely loved it but it had a tiny mountney steering wheel which i found quite difficult on the motorway but other than that brilliant fun.

To be honest, what ever you drive as a first car, the insurance will be crippling but as long as you don't go silly and start modifying the hell out of it, you should manage (we all did!) Just make sure you don't buy a lemon and make sure you maintain it properly and keep it running well you will be ok.

Also, it's not as much fun going to a Mini show in a Corsa and the like. Nothing like going to the shows in a Mini.

Good luck, Let us know what you decide!

Ben

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users