#1 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners Club / Bruuuums Mini's

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:05 PM

in the summer months i know engines get warmer and so do us lot, so driving around in the mini becomes a lot more fun and a lot hotter
I always get the impression that without the heater on the engine will over heat as it gives somewhere for the heat to disperse?
is this fact or fiction as sometimes i boil to death with the rate my heater kicks out hot air!
i'd love to be able to not switch it on at all and still keep the engine running well and keep me cool!!
any thoughts?
Daz

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

running with the heater on warm will cool the engine "slightly" as its an extra circuit for the water to be pumped around, used, and convection to cool it down.

Its actually quite useful in traffic jams, but otherwise, if you're paranoid about it, then you should start looking at a better rad, different thermostat and a better water pump! Maybe even an extra *mini* radiator! :lol:

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

Have you not got a radiator on your engine?

Dam you Pikey!!

#4 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:35 PM

nah i have, rad is 3 months old, water pump is 4 weeks old!
u no the knob u pull out that lets the water through, well that doesnt go back in easily once its pulled out, it has to be done from the engine bay, thats just bone idleness though!
i imagine thats what i should do, pull the knob out and leave the heater off???
suppose it just worries me as every car ive ever seen there temp thing sits on normal permanently, yet mine normally sits just above cold, and when it approaches normal i get worried, although, apparently, its normal!!

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:39 PM

that'll explain why it's called "normal" then! :)

God, paranoid about cooling, paranoid about RR-ing, whats next!? Paranoid about wearing out the foam in the seats! :lol:

#6 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

think you've got the wrong person when it comes to RR-ing, ive had mine done 4 times in a year, i love it!
not paranoid about cooling, well maybe a little, but dont u think its a little strange theat my temp gauge never reads normal?? only when its really warm outside and i leave it idling for 5 minutes! even then it only says normal rather than cold!

#7 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

oops! apologies!

I wouldn't worry about it. Its probably just that you have a thermostat with a lower opening temperature, or maybe its just sowell built that theres no crud in the system! You do have a nice big grille to get some *more* air in there too.

#8 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:06 PM

Huey's heater knob stays out (off) until my passenger starts shivering, when I casually get out, take off the bonnet and pull the other end of the heater cable. Sound familiar?

Huey has a supercool (is that the right term?) radiator because, I'm told, Metro engines are prone to overheating. So the water temp, like yours, rarely gets to normal except in this kind of weather. So, like you, I worry -- but that's because if you give me a gauge I'll worry about it! And that's because once when I forgot to check the instruments the fanbelt snapped, the red light came on and in no time the temp gauge was exploring unknown territory in the red. :)

Paranoid about wearing out the foam in the seats!

Ooh, better check that :lol:

#9 mini25

mini25

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

the only time i use the heater for this use is when the temp goes up to near the red and even then i never done it because it hasnt been that hot, mines jus turned off all the time

#10 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:29 PM

My 90' Mainstream Cooper has that little auxilliary fan under the wing and if my car has sat in traffic whilst it's blazingly hot, it will come on for a while. But I've owned my Mini since 1994 and that's only ever happened a couple of times and yes it's still working too. :)

So yeah if your worried about overheating, fit one of those as it just bolts to the radiator grille under the wheel-arch and only RSP's and Mainstreams got them, as they then fitted the larger fan into the wing from the Cooper 1.3i onwards. :lol:

#11 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

think i might have the wrong shaped front end for one of them!! sounds good though!

#12 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

Don't Clubmans have the grille by the side of the radiator, on the inner the wing? :lol:

#13 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

I dont even have aheater in mine :lol:

just an extra fan in the inner wing... never checked if its permanently on, but the aircon one surely is

#14 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:41 PM

now thats just showing off xiao bin

#15 Flyby

Flyby

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:34 AM

Mine usually sits at normal unless im in traffic or on a long motorway stretch, the heater helps to keep it just above normal although this can be a bit un pleasant in hot weather in stationary traffic with the heater belting out hot air!!! :'(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users