#1 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners Club / Bruuuums Mini's

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

its my 21st today and my dad kindly bought me a private number plate which i thought was ace....

it reads DAZ 1935

Daz for my name obviously and the 1935 because it was kinda close to 1985 but that was like £4k!

with the above, i currently have black plates, which i know many of you have too, the GT is currently a V reg, so not quite old enough to legally have the old style plates, so i was wondering, could i get the private plate in black too, as is private it would give no indication of what reg the car is, and it looks like its old enough for them to be black, would i get away with it, as the only way of telling its age with the new reg is if you check the log book??

any thoughts guys?

#2 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

i cant see why not, they woudl have to do a vehicle call up to see how old it was, which would mean pulling you over! ive got black plates on my 1990 mayfair and i aint been pulled for them yet (touch wood) and theyre on my van, still no pullings as yet!! (again touch wood) happy birthday tho!!

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

your plate is a northan ireland plate because of the Z in it and 4 numbers

i think most police would know this and not think its a pre 62 plate

#4 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

Happy birthday mate, sorry havent got a clue about the plates :(

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:25 AM

your plate is a northan ireland plate because of the Z in it

i think most police would know this and not think its a pre 62 plate

ps happy birthday :(

#6 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:25 AM

can one of the moderators delete this please as it duplicated as the system froze

#7 minipip

minipip

• Members
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:35 AM

dont think you will be able to put that plate on your car because i swear the DVLA state you cant put a plate on the car that makes it look newer than it actually is! sorry dude, heres an idear go and buy a newer mini to put it on :(

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:07 AM

As Minipip says, you still can't legally put B&W plates on your car since it wasn't manufactured pre '73. Granted the fuzz won't be able to tell just from looking at your car, but if you ever get stopped in a routine check then the best you can hope for is a producer, most probably a £30 at least and at worst, your cars licence being revoked by the DVLA.

Happy birthday by the way! :(

#9 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

arr booooo! i love my black plates, some nutters drive round with 1995 reg cars with black plates so i may just risk it!

checked with the DVLA just on the phone and the said i can transfer the plate to my car as its a different format to what a englidh D reg licence plate would be, seen as its Irish and all the letters and numbers are conrigated separately its legal! WOO HOOO thats made my day!

but which of you on here would risk making them black?

anyone no the rules around keeping my old reg, kinda like the old V reg number, doesnt disappear when i change it does it? is it still mine?

#10 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: I don't play well with others

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:24 AM

Happy birthday mate, don't get too drunk (if you are planning to, i wasn't allowed to drink on mine... made up for it the next year).

I'd love black plates too, but im 1978 reg , only way i could think of is to find and old pick up and change the plates and vin and documents..... but before someone points out, its very bad thing to do as far as the law are concerned.....

Yeti

#11 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

well ive got black plates now, ive only been pulled up once, was parked next to a copper last night with my black ones and they never said a word, there were undercover traffic cops too!!

was just wondering if as its gonna be a private plate and the car could be from pre 1973 theres no real way of telling unless u do a plate check, but even then, its a smack on the wrist and change them back to yellow n white

#12 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:53 AM

arr booooo! i love my black plates, some nutters drive round with 1995 reg cars with black plates so i may just risk it!

checked with the DVLA just on the phone and the said i can transfer the plate to my car as its a different format to what a englidh D reg licence plate would be, seen as its Irish and all the letters and numbers are conrigated separately its legal! WOO HOOO thats made my day!

but which of you on here would risk making them black?

anyone no the rules around keeping my old reg, kinda like the old V reg number, doesnt disappear when i change it does it? is it still mine?

When you transfre your new number on to the car, the old one exists on the DVLA computer, and remains un-assigned, when you tke this plate of the car you can get the old number back provided it has not been sold by DVLA, and unless it is a very special number it wont be.

Or you can pay £105 plus £25 a year to have it put on retention certificate so you can assign it to any vehicle with mot and tax v reg or newer

#13 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

I bought mine with B&W Irish Plates and its a '77, havent been pulled..yet.

But either way, apart from the reg, nothing is changing with your situation surely!? You had B&W before and you want them again, if anything as you say, chances are reduced you will get pulled as you now have a dateless plate, doesn't stop it being illegal though

Happy Birthday!!!

#14 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

NI plates are dateless, so you have no problem in fitting them to any car. They do apparently take longer to transfer, and you may need to fill in an extra form for the NI DVLA to transfer it, but it can be done (These "plate transfer" places charge extra for NI plates because of the paperwork/hassle)

As for the BW plates, Jammy is spot on. Pre 73 and you're fine, after and you're not. If you do get pulled and they do a check on the car, then they will find out its not pre-73 and they will have a few choices. Be nice, or not...... I hope that its not, well, not! But it's up to you. if you want to break the law.......

And Happy Birthday! Old fart! :(

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

Where can you buy NI numbers from? They're not available through the DVLA site are they?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users