8 replies to this topic

#1 Ianoffulford

Ianoffulford

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Hi guys, I hope I have posted this in the right area.

On Saturday, some berk drove into my Mini Van.  The damage seems to be relatively light, could have been far worse!!

Can anyone recommend a solicitors company to use as I don't think going to the one that Lancaster Insurance recommend is a benefit to me!  My last accident on a bike took about 13 months to settle.

Hope you can help guys :)

Attached Files

Edited by Ianoffulford, 30 June 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#2 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Why do you have to get solicitors involved if that's not too nosy? Was he uninsured?

#3 Ianoffulford

Ianoffulford

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

The bloke has no interest in settling away from insurance, and there are injuries on this side of the claim.  Mini vs Mondeo - Mondeo won! :(

#4 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

1.  You don't need solicitors to deal with the damage to your vehicle. 

2.  He doesn't have to settle away from insurance.

3.  Your best option is to approach his insurance company direct.  Explain that their insured is in the wrong and that you are approaching them direct as you'd sort it out fairly than using your own insurers who you both know will milk the claim dry.  Tell them that you simply want a speedy and high quality repair and ask which garages (plural) they propose.  If they don't offer anyone you fancy tell them who you want to do the repair.

4.  Also tell them you want/need a hire car immediately and until the vehicle is returned fully repaired.  You won't, of course, be paying any excess or any money at all.

5.  If the injuries are relatively minor (small whiplash that will settle soon) then ask that they make an offer for damages.  Tell them that if they don't and/or it's not enough then you will instruct lawyers.  The savings they make on lawyers fees (both sides) will partly be passed to you.  If the injuries are more serious (or potentially) then don't do it this way and just find an ambulance chasing lawyer.

6.  Most insurers will bend over backwards in this situation as they know the alternative is for your insurers to instruct lawyers and fleece them.  Mrs Peanut's BINI got smacked into a year or so ago and the other fella's insurers (Admiral i think) were brilliant.  Repaired at my garage of choice with all genuine BMW parts, BINI Cooper S convertable (brand new) hire car, offer of compo on day 1 (later increased to a very tidy figure).

If you run into trouble PM me.

#5 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

Don't get that? Were you injured?

#6 firstforward

firstforward

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Miniminx71, on 30 Jun 2014 - 3:16 PM, said:

Looks like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

Miniminx71, on 30 Jun 2014 - 3:16 PM, said:

Looks like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you shouting? The damage to the Mini is pretty minor so not clear where any injuries have come from.

#8 Ianoffulford

Ianoffulford

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

The Mondeo drove into the side of me as I was leaving a roundabout.  It bounced the Mini across to the next lane.  To be honest I didn't think anything of it but me and my passenger are experiencing pain, my GP has confirmed that I have muscle strain in my neck and back.

The damage is quite light (thank god he caught the door, not something stronger!).  It must have been sideways motion and as the car landed that the injury was caused. 

#9 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Oh right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users