Photo

Is Footman James Slowly Reducing It's Cover For You?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hi folks, in 2012 to 2013 I insured my Cooper RSP with Footman James Classic, mods declared, Hi-Lo's, Maniflow, K&N policy was £173 comprehensive with FULL European 90 day cover & FULL European breakdown cover.

Just called then again to re-insure now declaing a ported cylinder head with 36mm inlets, it is now gone up to £217 with no Eurpean cover & no Breakdown at all.  Rather politely declined it.  When I queried the EU cover & breakdown which they always prided themselves on all I was told was 'Things have changed now'. 

Just seem to be paying more 'a lot more' for less now.

#2 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

£217!!!!

Lancaster insured my blue one for £85 with all mods declared. The cooper was about £90. Both with nil ncb. £42 less for double the cars.

Look elsewhere Pete.

Edited by Mrpeanut, 04 July 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#3 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

I have just been quoted £330 renewal with mine. But then again I have tripled the power from standard and every year I send them 2 A4 pages full of modifications!

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 04 July 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#4 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Mine was £53 this year with a page of mods, but only moderate power increase to be fair.

#5 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

Who are you guys with, Mr Peanut is with Lancaster so will give them a buzz tomorrow..  Thanks for the replies...

#6 icedaddyuk

icedaddyuk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

I'm with Peter James. Only gone up £10 in total over the last two years and that's having increased the agreed value!

#7 Ripple

Ripple

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Footman James neglected to inform me that on the policy I was on, I couldn't build up any no claims. I only found out after the year was out and they rang to inform me that the renewal on my policy was £120 more than the previous year...

Put politely, I asked them to insert the policy in whichever cavity took their fancy

#8 icedaddyuk

icedaddyuk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

Generally classic car policies don't build up NCB. Never built up any on mine and I'm three years in. First with Footman James for one year then two years with Peter James.

Edited by icedaddyuk, 04 July 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#9 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

Who are you guys with, Mr Peanut is with Lancaster so will give them a buzz tomorrow..  Thanks for the replies...

I go through Peter Best, they do some good deals and are open to a quick haggle. Mine started at £82 this year but they agreed to waive their fee (yeah right) and cut some other costs. Limited to 3000 miles.

#10 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Footman James neglected to inform me that on the policy I was on, I couldn't build up any no claims. I only found out after the year was out and they rang to inform me that the renewal on my policy was £120 more than the previous year...
Put politely, I asked them to insert the policy in whichever cavity took their fancy

This is why you should read the papers they send you, I have had numerous classic policys all of them stated that the case, id bet a penny to a pound it was written down clearly somewhere.

#11 Ripple

Ripple

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Generally classic car policies don't build up NCB. Never built up any on mine and I'm three years in. First with Footman James for one year then two years with Peter James.

Don't think mine was under a classic policy as iirc, they wouldn't do that as it's a 97... Cheesed me right off as I don't have any no claims as I've got a car my boss buys me that's in his name and insurance with me as a named driver. Was hoping to build my own up on the mini, just in case

I have got 7 years motorbike ncb, but that's as useful as a chocolate teapot because you can't transfer it over but if you claim on the bike, it affects the car and vise-versa... That's a whole new rant, but I digest ;-)

Edited by Ripple, 04 July 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#12 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

All minis are eligable afaik due to the age of the design?

#13 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

All minis are eligable afaik due to the age of the design?

most insurers count 25+ as classic, some do 20+. I don't know of any that base it on model alone.

#14 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

Mine was £53 this year with a page of mods, but only moderate power increase to be fair.

to be fair, you are how we say...of a mature group people ha

#15 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Footman James became much less competitive a couple of years back when they parted company with "Equity Red Star" who were the underwriter for most of their competitively priced classic car policies.

As mentioned above, it's pretty much an industry standard for classic car policies not to attract or take NCD into account. The idea is that they are a low cost policy aimed at making it affordable to insure a second hobby car, whilst your NCD is in use on the policy for your daily drive. That said they really should have advised you of this before you took the policy out though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users