Photo

Is Footman James Slowly Reducing It's Cover For You?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

www.insurancesos.co.uk/articles/car-insurance/eligible.html 10 years old according to this?

#17 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Mine was £53 this year with a page of mods, but only moderate power increase to be fair.

to be fair, you are how we say...of a mature group people ha
old git do you mean? There are some benefits to age, I found it plummeted after 30. 1100cc bikes for less than a ton, cars dirt cheap. The difference between us old gits and young uns is that we could afford stupidly fast cars and bikes, whereas with your insurance costs and crap wages thanks to gormless George and his failed recovery you will be stuck with crap cars for ages. I had a 3.0l Capri at seventeen, a 750cc motorbike at 19 and a 944turbo at 23. I cannot even begin to think what the insurance would be for those these days. Half a kidney?

#18 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

www.insurancesos.co.uk/articles/car-insurance/eligible.html 10 years old according to this?

what the hell? That is a weird website, HMRC counting ten year plus cars as classics? Not sure to say the least. And then saying value affects classic status? But that aside, you may find some insurers that count under 20 yr old cars as classics but I never have. Most are 25+, I only know a couple that do 20+.

#19 icedaddyuk

icedaddyuk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Equity Red Star underwrite Peter James insurance, that's who my policy is underwritten by.

I had the same a few years ago, my first year was with Footman James and ERS, but on my renewal a few years back doubled from £115 to £230 so went with PJ at £120.

#20 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Mine was £53 this year with a page of mods, but only moderate power increase to be fair.

You young whippersnapper, all good things come to he who waits !!!!!

#21 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

You young whippersnapper, all good things come to he who waits !!!!!

Such as: free tv license, meals on wheels, incontinence pads, false teeth, and, being told you can no longer drive your mini as you cannot read that number plate from six metres away !!

#22 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

Great input cheers guys!  I'm not bothered about building up a no claims on my mini as I collect that on my daily driver.  There's no way I'm willing to shell out over £200 per year when it is only actually out for 4 months of the year and covers approx 600miles per year.

Are any of you asked about being members of any clubs?  I know Footman James is affiliated to The British mini club of which I am a member & quoted my member number but still feel like they want to fleece me.

#23 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Strange I'm collecting no claims on my policy hmm got about 5 years now!

#24 alicetheauto

alicetheauto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: Rusty Nuts Minis, Leicester

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

I use footman James. Renewal came through for £128 on a 998. I'm 28 , parked on driveway in a not great area. Gone down 20quid from last year? I've been told by companies before it depends on the manufacturer. Minis had been 15 years, my fiesta has to be 20, as did a mk1 astra I looked at. Fiesta was up for renewal 8 weeks before its birthday this year.

#25 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

You have got me checking my own now, the Mini is with Lancaster it was £87.31 for me and the wife fully comp 2000 miles max which I need to upgrade, they have put £25 on for legal cover which I will remove on renewal so it should be in the £52 region! We are both in our mid 30s. It does not mention not building up a NCD so I presume it does!

My Morris 1000 one is also with Lancaster also £87.31 and there is no mention of not getting a NCD either, my previous ones had it clearly defined as not building up a discount, looks like I will have a year on each fingers crossed then, when it is going to be £52 for each car on renewal who cares hence why I never looked to see about a NCD, I was presuming the opposite to the OP in that mine was not from the start the advantage now being that if it is I could at a later date use the NCD on a more exotic car as I lost all my full NCD from my MX5 when I went to an MGB GT a few years ago :(

#26 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Great input cheers guys!  I'm not bothered about building up a no claims on my mini as I collect that on my daily driver.  There's no way I'm willing to shell out over £200 per year when it is only actually out for 4 months of the year and covers approx 600miles per year.
Are any of you asked about being members of any clubs?  I know Footman James is affiliated to The British mini club of which I am a member & quoted my member number but still feel like they want to fleece me.

Joining the Cooper register makes a difference with Lancaster.

#27 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

I always quote TMF as my club if they ask.

#28 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

I've only had decent rates from Adrian Flux, thats with 4 pages of A4 for the modifications list (small txt)

#29 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

I'm with Peter James and I pay £135 fully comp, unlimited mileage, European and uk breakdown cover, agreed value and any mods declared. Over 50 as well. (1975 998 Clubman)

It's remained at this figure for the past two years and no change to the policy. I could probably get it cheaper from somewhere else but I like the unlimited mileage part and the agreed valuation was easy to do. What will happen though when I do a full nut and bolt rest and an upgraded 1293 remains to be seen.

#30 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Admiral do a classic car policy where you build up a Ncb on the policy, quite picky on the car and are rubbish with mods, but cheap prices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users