#1 jaykav

jaykav

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hi all, can anyone help me?

I currently have a bull -nose with a 1275 (bored to 1380) engine with a turbo which I enjoyed while it was going, but it soon started cutting out due to overheating & fuelling issues.

So I’m now in the process of completely overhauling the entire car; body engine, wiring, etc. I’ve pulled out the engine and split it to see if the overheating had affected anything, and I am just about to put it back together, but I’ve been tinkering with the idea of fitting a Vauxhall 1.4 SOHC engine(C14NZ, South African Spec) , with bolt on turbo into the car, I am fully aware that I will need to cut away parts of the engine bay, but what I would like to know:

* is if anyone has done this conversion as of yet with a 1.4 engine & will the radiator by any chance be able to be placed right in front (I doubt so), also if anyone has done this conversion what would the expected output of the engine be with low 0.7 boost on the turbo?

*is it possible to fit the engine by only cutting the side walls of the engine bay & obviously building a new sub-frame or modifying the Mini sub-frame AND not the entire front end, as I’ve seen so many other do?

*if I undergo this conversion, does anyone know what the right gearbox to use is, for the correct ratio with the R13 inch tyres?

I know I am asking silly questions but I am just hopeful someone will be able to give me some insight, as there are very few/ nearly no expertise where I live in South Africa, with regards to fitting Vauxhall engines in minis?

Attached Files

#2 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

The C14NZ has the same block as the C14SE so the engine would bolt into an All speed frame. A small amount of the inner wings will need to be trimmed to get the frame to fit into a mini but with the right radiator and exhaust manifold you don't need to extend the front end.

You will probably need a custom manifold and/or radiator to get the turbo set up to fit under a standard length round nose. There was someone over on 16v mini forum looking to turbo charge a c16xe engine but I don't think it was ever finished. 16v mini club is probably a good place to look for information.

As for the gearbox. The usual choice is a WR gearbox with 3.55 final drive from a diesel. An F13, 15 or 17 will bolt up to a small block Vauxhall engine. I'm not sure what you got in south africa but if you got the x17dtl engine in the astra then they will come with the F15 WR 3.55 box which would be idea. The F17 usually has a hydraulic clutch as well which works perfectly with the mini master cylinder.

There is an F13 with a 3.35 final drive which would be even better but they are like rocking horse poo. They came in certain models of the Nova/Corsa A.

#3 Newton

Newton

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

As M J W J says
16se fits nicely with an Allspeed frame & makes a nice conversion.
The front o/s engine mount needs moving out board & a remote oil filter is required.
I'm sure you could find a radiator to fit but I designed one & had it made to suit.
My car runs ok on 7 psi but requires higher flow injectors & would benefit from a charge cooler (scratching head as to where to fit one )
Removing the heat from the engine bay is an issue hot days..

#4 jaykav

jaykav

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ve actually been lots of research on the 16v club and speaking to a few local guys that have done the conversions.

I’ve now starting looking at fitting the a Toyota 4age, 20vlave & its NA meaning I might have more space for the radiator in the front. I know I’ll defiantly be making a ‘custom radiator, I’m just concerned about a cooling because here is SA the summer days get quite hot.

So basically it’s between a 16se motor (as the price is the same as a 14se motor in SA), with a turbo setup OR the Toyota 20v setup. But I will start a thread once I get the motor & momentum. :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users