Photo

Best Insurance For Complete Rebuild Mini - Showroom Condt.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Hello!

I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my 1991 Ltd Ed Mini Neon - hoping to get it to showroom standards.

I have this crippling paranoia that if anything happens to it, it will be carted away, written off and crushed!

Cus lets face it - I have spent on it - more than its worth!

Despite looking beautiful and having no rust its still not going to worth much - but to me is priceless in sentimental value!

What sort of insurance company will appreciate this?

Give me a good value price but also not just take it away if its written off?

Thankyou x

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

You could do with getting an insurance policy with a guaranteed value, to do this you will probably need to get an independent report as to its value. Speak to your insurers to find out if they give guaranteed valuations and if they can advise you who can give you a valuation that they would recognise someone like AA, RAC or an independent valuer.

I use Peter Best Insurance Services who give agreed valuations but I am sure the likes of Lancaster, Adrian Flux etc do as well, but it depends on your circumstances as to whether these will give you the cover you need at a reasonable price.

Edited by RedRuby, 28 July 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#3 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thankyou! I am aware that the BMC do valuations - but is there insurance any good?

#4 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

I also use Peter best with an agreed value. They are very helpful and on one occasion even suggested I increase the value as they thought the amount I had stated was too low.

#5 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

I'm with Peter James http://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/ and very happy with them.  I've made a claim, used the European breakdown on their policy and regularly call them to add cars on or temporary drivers and their customer service is second to none.  

I also like them for the agreed value you can do it yourself if the car's is over 20 years old and worth under £15,000, which saves some hassle.  Always remember to add about 35% to 40% on to the market value to get the insurance value.  Peter James have always excepted my valuations without question. 

Edit:  I have a fleet policy with them, but I expect their policy on agreed value is across the board. 

Edited by Tanya, 28 July 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#6 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Thankyou guys! I only worry as 5 years ago I was in an accident and my mini was written off -

I was with Churchill at the time and they towed it away, wrote it off - they then owned it!

They offered my £800 for it as they said that was the book price! After many phone calls we got the price up to £1600

I then had to buy the car off them for scrap value and pick it up, it was in worse nick at the yard than when it was in the accident and I had the speakers stolen out of it!

I don't want the same thing to happen again!

I felt completely powerless and had no control over my own car! Can all insurance companies do this?

#7 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Thankyou guys! I only worry as 5 years ago I was in an accident and my mini was written off -

I was with Churchill at the time and they towed it away, wrote it off - they then owned it!

They offered my £800 for it as they said that was the book price! After many phone calls we got the price up to £1600

I then had to buy the car off them for scrap value and pick it up, it was in worse nick at the yard than when it was in the accident and I had the speakers stolen out of it!

I don't want the same thing to happen again!

I felt completely powerless and had no control over my own car! Can all insurance companies do this?

I don't know which part of the country you are in, but if you have an accident where it is possible that the insurer may choose to write your Mini off, get hold of Kevin Palmer (https://www.facebook...234244276592644) as he is excellent at saving Minis and dealing with insurers.

I was lucky as I saw Kevin a couple of hours after my accident and he told me to tell my insurer that he was coming to collect my Mini and the assessor was to go to him, and that's what happened.  To be fair, Peter James didn't ague with me, they let the Mini go and then dealt with Kev, who dealt with the assessor.  It was the best thing I did, saved my Mini (without it being a Cat C or D) and I had no hassle at all.  

I had an agreed value. but also extensive damage to my Mini.  

#8 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thankyou so much Tanya! 

Is Kevin a garage owner? (I don't have facebook so it won't let me see much)

Does he just know if stuff and legally where you stand?

to be honest if I had an accident I wouldn't want to let me mini out of my sight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users